Firmware Upgrade - Image Transmission Signal Awful

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been flying in 3 or 4 different areas, some urban, some countryside and have had great image signal coming back from my P3S. I updated the firmware through the DJI Go app last night and since then, I can't get more than 15m high without video loss and about 20m away. The only way to make it come back is to fly about 2m high right infront of me.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I realise you cant roll back the firmware on the P3S so I don't know what to do other than take it back to the shop?

Any advice would be great.

Hi guys,

I've been flying in 3 or 4 different areas, some urban, some countryside and have had great image signal coming back from my P3S. I updated the firmware through the DJI Go app last night and since then, I can't get more than 15m high without video loss and about 20m away. The only way to make it come back is to fly about 2m high right infront of me.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I realise you cant roll back the firmware on the P3S so I don't know what to do other than take it back to the shop?

Any advice would be great.
What app version are you on?

2.8.3 On the app
Ok, well there have been several reports in regards to the FW updates on Standard and 4K aircraft about loss of range. I would wait for DJI to correct the issue before you decide to send back. I'm sure there will be a new update quickly as the complaints are getting more numerous.

Ok, well there have been several reports in regards to the FW updates on Standard and 4K aircraft about loss of range. I would wait for DJI to correct the issue before you decide to send back. I'm sure there will be a new update quickly as the complaints are getting more numerous.

I hope so, I only have about 10 days on my receipt to get it taken back. The actual range is fine, no issues there it's just the video :( Only had the thing 2 weeks too. Wonder how long it'll take? Do they release firmware often?

If the complaints are this much with in the last 3 days, then most likely so.
I would suggest that you try reinstalling the Go app. This tends to fix a lot of issues with video problems. It cannot hurt to try. It's worked for me and my clients on several occasions.
Good Luck!

If the complaints are this much with in the last 3 days, then most likely so.
I would suggest that you try reinstalling the Go app. This tends to fix a lot of issues with video problems. It cannot hurt to try. It's worked for me and my clients on several occasions.
Good Luck!

I've done that a few times, thanks so much for getting back to me though, much appreciated. Fingers crossed DJI sort this soon.

Hate to say it, but join the crowd. There are many P3S owners who have had their video range demolished by this latest update. There clearly are too many reports for this not to be a fault in the program or design of the update process. Just no admission from DJI, as far as I have heard. I just hope that the update didn't do permanent damage, and that a subsequent update can fix whatever ruined an otherwise fun hobby for me. I don't even bother to fly it anymore.

I'm in the same boat. Only had my p3s fit a week but the app loses connection at about 30m - 40m. Latest firmware. Was going to take it back to the shop till I found this thread. Just wondering how long it'll take to get a new fw, I have some stuff I was hoping to film in a few days :(

I hope so, I only have about 10 days on my receipt to get it taken back. The actual range is fine, no issues there it's just the video :( Only had the thing 2 weeks too. Wonder how long it'll take? Do they release firmware often?
I would return it. I had P2V+ bad brand new, bought it direct from DJI, could only send it in for repair. Bought a P3S week after I lost my P2V+ to help look for it, firmware update caused remote distance problems, it was to new I could only buy it from DJI, had to send it for repair also.

Same here, even before my first flight with a brand new P3S the DJI Go app asked for the firmware update to 1.6.8, so I did. Today took it up for a first spin around the house, when it got up to 30m or so, I got the weak video signal message on my iPhone 6. This truly sucks! Hope DJI come with a solution fast as I bought this bird to shoot some video's in Thailand in 10 days :(

I am with @dirkclod on this. The previous versions for app and fw were awful where I had the exact same issues as everyone is mentioning. I was losing video about 250 feet. With 1.6.80 and 2.8.3, I am getting the best range I have ever had with it. I have had it to 1/2 mile with great video and rc reception. Check to make sure this is what is running on yours. I did notice that it looks like a newer fw will probably be out soon for the p3s since there is a new one for the pro and advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: dirkclod
Yes, interesting I just realized I flew three times on Thursday and there wasn't any drop outs, crap I don't remember what day I updated the app on Asus tablet.

Ok I'm stunned...

Last week I took my P3S bord for a first flight in the neighbourhood. Video feed got disconnected after 50m or so. Next I tried at my parents home who live in a residential area bit with quite aome empty space behind the house. Was able to reach 150m. So I really thought there was something wrong with the bird as I thought I would get minimum 500m but up to a 1000m as stated on the box. Called the shop where I bought it, discussed on the phone and agreed I would bring in the drone next Friday. But today was beautifull weather and I really wanted to give it another try. Found a open farm space with no wifi interference or powerlines what so ever....I was shocked ! The phantom was able to fly 1.2km with great video feed and with good RC connection !!

So I'm extremely happy that the bird finally reacts as it should and this cleary proves that wifi interference, powerlines and so on have a terrible influence on the phantom usage. For your info, i have the latest dji app for ios and I use firmware 1.6.8.

So from now on I won't be flying near places where I know there might be problems. It'll be places where I have great range and plenty of space to fly.

Reactions: WilliamM
bought P3S a month ago and update to 1.6.80 straight out of the box without knowing anything and had a problem with the range and awful video feed in around 20 to 30 meters.

try to downgrade (1.5.70+) and able to fly around 100 to 150 meters.

bought ARGTek 7dBi and manage to fly around 275 to 300 meters. (1.5.70+)

i'm using DJI GO on both iOS and Android. also try to use DJI Geo Beta app. result are the same.

today i update the firmware back to 1.6.80 from 1.5.70+, the update was success. but the whole process only take me less than 5 minutes. seems suspicious.

will try to fly the bird again tomorrow and i will give an update.

hope DJI will fix the problem soon.

would love to see what this thing can do when the firmware works properly.

cheers!

Last edited:
Try in an area without interference, no residential area's, not tall buildings, open area with at least 2km of open field.

I'm on Go 2.8.3 and AC 1.6.80 now and have no issues with anything .
Not saying anyone else won't but is working fine for me .
I do fly in lets say a rural area . No noise

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik