[Firmware Upgrade] 3.10 to 3.16

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've been flying for a month already and I wanted to test the IOC fly modes so I downloaded the Naza assistant and plugged the Phantom in my computer. I didn't even know what version I had, everything is working fine so I didn't want to upgrade the firmware and may be have some issues after the upgrade.

Unfortunately I can't change anything in the Naza Assistant until I upgrade my Phantom.

I read about some issues with the 3.16 firmware version. There's no way to enable IOC fly modes without upgrading to 3.16?

Is really risky to upgrade the Phantom? I'm kind of afraid that something is going to fail.

Thanks!!!

There is no inherent problem with 3.16 although some folk have issues with the update.
I think the only way to run the assistant with your current version is to somehow find an early version of assistant. I don't know which assistant will support 3.10, perhaps one of the other guys knows and better still, has an early version they can let you have.

One of the ways people #### up the firmware upgrade is forgetting to upload the settings file. The firmware upgrade wipes the Naza clean, so you need to re-set all the parameters specific to the Phantom.

I have been having a problem uploading the parameter file. It's in a zip format. Also with 3.16, don't you need to change the transmitter setting?

Centralcoast said:
I have been having a problem uploading the parameter file. It's in a zip format. Also with 3.16, don't you need to change the transmitter setting?

Unzip it first ... - right click on it and choose "extract".

I uploaded the file as-is (once I unzipped it) and it worked. I think the problem with having to change the tx setting was if you DIDN'T upload the config file.

Thanks for your answers!

One final question about a prompt message just before updating the firmware.

"Please disconnect the power to all motors or remove the propellers"

By disconnecting the power to all motors it means removing the battery?

I'm not with the phantom right now, that's why I can't check if without the battery the update can be made :D

Thanks!!

I believe the battery has to be in. They want you to remove the propellers in case the engines start up and the thing takes off. I'll be honest with you, when I upgraded mine I didn't remove the propellers; I just held it down in case it got any funny ideas.

Question about zip file with configuration parameters. I'm using Windows 7. What program do I use to unzip the file so I can import them. Thanks.

Centralcoast said:
Question about zip file with configuration parameters. I'm using Windows 7. What program do I use to unzip the file so I can import them. Thanks.

I use winrar and is pretty good and light.

Link to download:
http://www.winrar.es/descargas

The page is in spanish, but it gives you the best version for your PC (recommended download = Descarga recomendada). There's only one link, you'll figure it out.

Good luck with the upgrade!

nperic said:
Thanks for your answers!

One final question about a prompt message just before updating the firmware.

"Please disconnect the power to all motors or remove the propellers"

By disconnecting the power to all motors it means removing the battery?

I'm not with the phantom right now, that's why I can't check if without the battery the update can be made :D

Thanks!!

This direction has been confusing people from the very beginning, along with the cryptic, "Do not use power battery during firmware upgrade." DJI has been asked to change/clarify this a bazillion times and never have. Obviously the Phantom has to have power to the main board to carry out an upgrade. What they really mean is this:

"Take off the props or disconnect the power to the motors, because if something goes wrong you'll have a flying food processor with no way to turn it off. And don't use the battery on your laptop while performing the upgrade; make sure it's plugged into the wall."

Of course you would never disconnect the battery power to each motor, unless you fancy opening the shell and doing a bit of soldering, so taking off the props is the way to go there. I actually don't even do that -- I just place a heavy board through the landing skids so it can't accidentally take off if something goes wrong, which it never has.

mroberts said:
One of the ways people #### up the firmware upgrade is forgetting to upload the settings file. The firmware upgrade wipes the Naza clean, so you need to re-set all the parameters specific to the Phantom.

And another comment on this based on some common misdirections I've read -- clicking the "Restore Default Settings" button is *not* the same as importing the Default Configuration Profile from the DJI support site. In fact, "Restore Default" just sets everything to clean settings the same way the firmware upgrade does, so you will end up with all your gains set to 100%, which is not correct for the Phantom.

You MUST download and import the Default Configuration after performing the 3.16 update. Then set RTH, IOC, etc., as you had them before.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj