Firmware Updating

Reaction score
So I'm getting my P3P tomorrow. How would I check the current firmware if it needs updating? I'm coming from a P2 where you plug the P2 to your PC you can see it through the Phantom software on the PC. I will not have an SD card once I receive it.

How would I check the current firmware if it needs updating?
The DJI GO app will prompt you to install the update if one is available. If you decide to update, I have detailed firmware installation instructions here.

Reactions: Double_DoubleG
Within the Phantom 3 Go app, is a page called About.
Where you an check the app & your firmware versions.
Without the micro sd card, you will not be able to update through the usual method.
Nor the ability to record any 4K video. But you can certainly fly it, and have plenty of fun...

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Double_DoubleG
The DJI GO app will prompt you to install the update if one is available. If you decide to update, I have detailed firmware installation instructions here.

So do I need to turn on the P3 and connect it to the GO app for it to see if it prompts for an update?

You will need to install DJI GO and register your Phantom in DJI GO before doing anything. Read the quick start guide that comes in the box. It explains how to get everything setup.

FYI, the Phantom manual does not come in the box. You can download it from the DJI downloads page.

That's a big first step... & Most importantly. ;-)
image.jpeg

Yes, Read the "Flight" Manual!! hahaha

RedHotPoker

So I'm getting my P3P tomorrow. How would I check the current firmware if it needs updating? I'm coming from a P2 where you plug the P2 to your PC you can see it through the Phantom software on the PC. I will not have an SD card once I receive it.
If you are buying it new, it will come with a micro SD card.

Also, as noted earlier it is your choice to upgrade or not. You do not have to update just because it tells you there is a new FW available.
I would personally recommend making sure that everything works first before introducing new variables such as FW changes to the AC or the RC. Batteries of course are the exception.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Okay so I connected the app to the P3P successfully and looked at all the settings to get familiar. The P3P currently has firmware v1.8.80 and looks like v1.9.60 is the newest. Now although the Go app is not prompting me to update the firmware for the P3 it did prompt me to update the battery firmware. Is that critical? If yes, do I need to put v1.8.80 on an sd card and insert it then insert the batter then turn the P3 on?

Current FW
App - v2.8.4
FV - 1.8.80
RC - v1.6.0

I am in FW 1.8.80 and don't plan to update, but yes, you must download FW 1.8.80 to a micro sd and update your battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl