Firmware update

Reaction score
Need to update firmware on phantom 3 pro. I wanted to download the upgrade from dji. I have a Mac computer. File downloads as a .bin file and will not expand in stuffit. Anyone upgrade with a download from DJI to a Mac computer successfully?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a Mac. No issues. I downloaded it unzipped it put it on the sd card and had no issues.

There is only one file for everyone and it's a compressed zip file. Once you uncompressed it you get a .bin file that you place on your SD card.

So you download a zip file and uncompress it to get the usable .bin file. I suspect your computer is allowing you to view the contents of the .zip file without uncompressing it.

This is a _very_ common mistake because today's OS's disguise this fact.

Safari defaults to uncompressing the zip file once it is downloaded. There is a check-box to un-tick in the safari settings.

Just did a firmware upgrade yesterday on my p3a. First phantom and new to Mac , turns out safari automatically unzips the fill, just copy the bin file to microSD.

Glorious Windows 10 does this auto unzip as well.
No more call for WinZip. Haha

RedHotPoker

@ DjFur64. So, you copied the bin files to the sd card and inserted in the gimble, it automatically upgrades the aircraft and the battery, then insert the sd to usb converter and into controller, update and your finished?

@ DjFur64. So, you copied the bin files to the sd card and inserted in the gimble, it automatically upgrades the aircraft and the battery, then insert the sd to usb converter and into controller, update and your finished?

you update the controller through the app - the bin file is only for the bird and batteries

too bad no-one ever paid for winzip
Why, was there a non trial version? Haha
I thought everything on the www was free, with a costly internet connection.
In a self induced mood again, so a Funny thought:
Homeless people get free internet, at the public library. But we, the ones who pay tax to build the library... Have an IP. WTF?? ;-)

RedHotPoker

you update the controller through the app - the bin file is only for the bird and batteries
Remember not too long ago, when you could plug the included cable into the drone gimbal and RC to update the RC?

RedHotPoker

Why, was there a non trial version? Haha
I thought everything on the www was free, with a costly internet connection.
In a self induced mood again, so a Funny thought:
Homeless people get free internet, at the public library. But we, the ones who pay tax to build the library... Have an IP. WTF?? ;-)

RedHotPoker
well, technically i have free internet at the library too, i just pay to use in in the privacy of my own home. for reasons beyond the peace and quiet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now I feel foolish for buying 300 licenses at work, since they are free on the InterWeb!
Reading this thread must have stung somewhat. No Need to buy it, when there are so many free programs out there.
But it was a problem free one, secure, easy to use.

RedHotPoker

I paid for WinRar. Back in the early 2000's, and still use it a lot today. It was a bargain, and the author is still turning out better versions because he has a loyal following who most are happy to pay for a great, supported software application.

Tried it once more. Wired gimbal to computor and downloaded to gimbal. Restarted aircraft and it started acting different. Turned of aircraft. Turned on controller, started DJI go and restarted aircraft. Went into menu and saw no firmware upgrades needed. App is 2.8.3; aircraft is 1.8.80 and remote is 1.6.0. After all that, the only difference I see, is I can stream to Facebook. Doesn't seem with the couple hours upgrading. Is there anything new I didn't notice?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20