Firmware update warning messages

Reaction score
Here's a weird thing.
I've not flown my P3 Pro since mid November. It's cold & not pretty in Chicago.
Today it's 17° without windchill. For the HIGH. It was 7° when I got up. Anyway I thought it would be a good time to set it to outside to chill Down, then reset the IMU. In case I do want to fly sometime when it's not so extreme. So I did that.

Now I wanted to Just fire it up on the porch to to make sure things are working.
Won't start up. I get several Firmware update needed messages. For Software! ace firmware and controller firmware.

It shouldn't need any of that since I keep my iPad with the Auto update OFF.
The iPad is still version 9.3.5
Controller is v 1.6.0
Dji Go is 2.8.7 and th AC SHOULD Bev 1.09.0060
But in the About section it says "Unknown".
Why would that be? I have the same SD card as always with the correct .bin file on it.
Why would it all of a sudden demand update on everything?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1483822582.341606.jpg

Last edited:
I've been holding off on updating both the iOS on the iPad and the software & firmware because so many people reported problems - signal loss at close distances, and other issues. Also I dreamily don't want those HERE maps at all.
So, do I have a mismatch on my set of Soft and hardware versions here?
And if so, what's the minimum version updates I can do to correct it- without going to the latest of everything?
Also, if I do decide to update will I have a choice on versions, or will Dji Go automatically update to latest version? Thereby necessitating updating everything else to latest??
And- am I worrying needlessly about it and should be up to date anyway? It was flying just fine before. Really don't want to make things WORSE by updating.

Last edited:
Also I dreamily don't want those HERE maps at all.
HERE maps so far are only in the Android version.

I get several Firmware update needed messages. For Software! ace firmware and controller firmware.

It shouldn't need any of that since I keep my iPad with the Auto update OFF.
The iPad is still version 9.3.5
Controller is v 1.6.0
Dji Go is 2.8.7 and th AC SHOULD Bev 1.09.0060
Since you don't have the very latest of each FW, it's no surprise that you would be notified that newer versions are available if you choose to update.

I have the same SD card as always with the correct .bin file on it.
Not sure about this one. Why do you think a FW bin needs to be on the SD card and what does that have to do with a notification that newer FW is available?

Why would it all of a sudden demand update on everything?
As always, any FW update is your choice. It is not required to update anything if you don't want to do so.

What I thought. But the props would not fire up. I'll go try again.

Ok. Never mind. At least in my basement it just fired up twice. No idea what happened earlier. Oh well... It's a mystery

When it's above 25-30 I'll take it out and do a real test.. Hopefully in a few days.

I am getting the exact same thing. About a month ago I started getting this red banner across the top saying updates REQUIRED. I ignored it for a week or two, and finally acknowledged it to see what the fuss was about and it said EVERYTHING needed updating. I'm an engineer. It aint broke, and I thought about when Microsoft said my Windows 98 was no good any more and 2000 would be wonderful, then ME, then XP, then Vista then 7 then 8 then 10 and I decided I would be happier with an annoying update warning and a bird which has so far been flawless than the suggested improvement. Your mileage may vary

I am getting the exact same thing. About a month ago I started getting this red banner across the top saying updates REQUIRED. I ignored it for a week or two, and finally acknowledged it to see what the fuss was about and it said EVERYTHING needed updating. I'm an engineer. It aint broke, and I thought about when Microsoft said my Windows 98 was no good any more and 2000 would be wonderful, then ME, then XP, then Vista then 7 then 8 then 10 and I decided I would be happier with an annoying update warning and a bird which has so far been flawless than the suggested improvement. Your mileage may vary
My thoughts exactly. I've been totally happy with the versions I have. Flown for shots over a mile away. Always comes home when I do the RTH. Rarely a video lag. Usually because I'm in the city with lots of WiFi interference (my assumption). But for the most part happy.

Why mess wit that....?

UPDATE on OP:

I fired it up again in basement. All things go. And even the correct Firmware reads in the About panel.

I also did the same with my spare P3 - and this time left it outside the door in the 17º temp for the IMU instead of bringing it in. My guess is it will be ready to fly really fast now even on silly days - down into 20's.
Correct FW version shows. All seems good for now.....

The new updates have geo fencing and Chicago is NFZ. that could be the reason as the bird will not power up in NFZ's.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1