Firmware update? Phantom V2 & controller

Reaction score
Ok a newbie question, I received my Phantom this week and itching to fly. Bad weather and me under the weather prevented me from doing anything. It sad seeing the Phantom sitting there on the desk lol ;)

So before flying I want to update the Firmware. I have done this on a few devices (phones, cameras) but never this type of equipment. So I searched the web and been watching/reading here for weeks.

The only video related to this procedure is this on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpwoFtPKXes the German dude. I watched twice even thought I don't understand a word of German.

I have to first borrow a laptop because I only own a Mac and the software is Windows only.

What should I update first? The control or the Phantom?
Do I really need to take apart the controller to get to the USB port to update that?
What are some tips you can share that will help with this?
How long roughly should it take?

Sorry so many questions but I'm itching to fly and think its important to get these updates done before flying.

Thanks in advance.

PS - I may actually record doing the update but worried could be deceiving if I goof it up & someone watches and follows how I do it. Will see :|

I can only tell you what I did with my Vision. I started by installing the drivers in the Windows computer. Then I installed both, the Vision Assistant and the RC Assistant (for the controller). Then I connected the Vision via USB to the computer and started the Vision Assistant. The info screen and Update screen of the Assistant showed me what version I had and what was the latest version for each upgradeable firmware/software. If an update was needed, there was a button next to it that you can click for the update. Fairly simple.

As far as the RC, opened it and connected the USB from the RC to the computer. Powered everything up and checked the version with the RC Assistant. Followed the same procedure with Info and Update and clicked on Update if needed. That completed the upgrade of everything.

For the camera in the Vision, I downloaded the Bin file with the latest version of the camera firmware and copied it to the micro sim card. Inserted the sim card in the camera and powered up everything again. The camera updated itself, and I knew it was successful when I checked the Sim card and the Bin file extension had changed to .BAK.

If you don't have a Vision, the procedure may be slightly different. DJI's Website has a PDF document for the upgrades. Good luck.

Downloaded the software programs - 2 - what drivers do I need to install?? DJI WIN8 installer or dji driver installer?

The Win8 driver is only for Windows 8. If you use Windows 7 or below, use the regular driver installer.

Cool - after all the worry I had most updated drivers. I was worried about the RC - putting it back together the nut for antenna was lose and I got confused getting it together.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj