Firmware Update Need for P2V Naza?

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question (#1 of 2), but I noticed that the guts of the P2V has an orange "Phantom" labeled flight controller, different from the P1 and P2 Naza-M or the Naza-M v2 labels. Exactly what NAZA flight controller is in the P2V? Is it a mainboard/NAZA-M FC hybrid?

Second silly question (#2 of 2): Anyone know if the P2V NAZA (Naza-M V2?) gets its firmware updated via the P2V-specific Assistant? Or do you/CAN you upgrade the NAZA firmware onboard using the Naza-M v2 Assistant Software, v2.20?

http://www.dji.com/product/naza-m-v2/download

Asking because if the P2V NAZA firmware doesnt get auto-updated via the P2V Assistant, then how does it get updated? On the P2V support page I see P2V "Autopilot" firmware update versions, and "P2V Central Board" update versions, but nothing that explictly speaks to the NAZA flight controller or a firmware version (compared to the P2 support page, where it is clear as day).

Which leads to the big (but probably erroneous) question: are we missing out on all that extra NAZA-M V2 functionality (BTU, Ground Station, etc.) because the P2V flight controller firmware needs to be updated independently?

Someone, set me straight. This is keeping me up at night...

Phantom 2 Assistant 1.08 is the version you should use for both the Vision and the Phantom 2. Don't use the NAZA-M Assistant for the Vision.

The "Naza" in the Vision is specific to the Vision, and allows a subset of the full Naza-M functions only. It doesn't work with the standalone Naza Assistant. This specific controller also has the programming that handles the handshake with the smart batteries to confirm you have genuine batteries in before you fly (confirmed by others on an RC Groups forum thread who swapped out the Vision controller for a stock Naza-M-V2 and were able to fire up with non-DJI smart battery). The options you have are limited to those available when you switch from Vision mode to "Naza" mode using the Vision Assistant.

So basically we'll get whatever Naza features DJI decides to let us have with future firmware updates - if they let us have any! All firmware updates go through the Vision Assistant, and DJI release a new version of the Assistant software with every major firmware update (exception being for the camera, whose firmware can be updated standalone using SD card).

Thanks, gents - much appreciated! Pull_Up you are the question and answer king, eh. You explain this stuff perfectly without making guys with wee pee brains feel like guys with wee pea brains....seriously thanks!

Ha, thanks! But it's only because I've had mine since day one of release and have already had all the questions in my own mind and had to find the answers - like my school teacher friend says, as long as you're about three chapters in the text book ahead of the kids you can appear to be expert in any subject! If anyone starts reading ahead my cover's blown and everyone will find out I'm only the janitor. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20