Firmware update broke my video feed -black spot- Phantom 4

Reaction score
Welp! Ladies and gentleman the worst issue with firmware yet.

I flew my Phantom 4 on Saturday (6/4/2016) just for fun. Everything looked completely fine. I even have the footage to prove it. Everything was smooth, no crashes of course. I landed, put my Phantom 4 into my GoProfessional Hard case, took it home and left it in my living room. Haven't flown it. This evening (6/6/2016) I ran to my aircraft to update the firmware to have sharp videos once again, and immediately after updating firmware, I noticed a horrible black spot on the right side of the camera. I downgraded firmware, refreshed firmware, reinstalled, everything. I cleaned the filters, took the filter off, cleaned the camera, repeatedly, took a flashlight to it, it's completely clean. There is no getting rid of this spot. I am devastated and upset. This will be the second time I have to send my drone in to DJI. Thank god last time it only took 6 days, but now more than ever I need it for some jobs. I'm so frustrated. Here's a video of the issue. I cannot take apart the gimbal because I have DJI care and I don't want anything to be voided.

Does the spot appear on video footage when played back on your computer, or only on camera view in the app?

Does the spot appear on video footage when played back on your computer, or only on camera view in the app?

The spot appears in my live view, the footage I get on my computer and everything. The spot is the camera or on the sensor itself, I don't know what else it could be.

This is not a burned sensor, looks like there is a dirt/dust spot on the UV filter, lens or even the sensor itself. Also could be in between the main lenses, something got loose and it floated there.
I would say to send it to the DJI since if you try to fix it by yourself something could get damaged.

One idea, if you have an electric tooth brush that has high vibrations, with the drone turned off and the camera in the locked support, hold the tooth brush to the camera close and see if the spot moves.
This is how the sensor gets cleaned in pro DSLR cameras by high vibrations.

This is not a burned sensor, looks like there is a dirt/dust spot on the UV filter, lens or even the sensor itself. Also could be in between the main lenses, something got loose and it floated there.
I would say to send it to the DJI since if you try to fix it by yourself something could get damaged.

I think you are correct! So I previously mentioned that the last time I flew it and got recorded footage there was a weird spot at the very top right corner.. I'm starting to think that speck made its way to the front of my sensor. Bummer! I'm calling DJI tomorrow morning. It's a shame I can't just take it apart myself and clean it!

One idea, if you have an electric tooth brush that has high vibrations, with the drone turned off and the camera in the locked support, hold the tooth brush to the camera close and see if the spot moves.
This is how the sensor gets cleaned in pro DSLR cameras by high vibrations.
Whoa seriously that's a super solid idea!!!

I'm going to give that a try. I flicked the gimbal a whole bunch of times to see if I could get it to move, no luck. I think getting some sort of vibration situation would be the best bet so long as it is dust!! Heck yeah I'll get back to you as soon as I give that a shot tomorrow :) if that fixes it I might just be back in business all thanks to your advice!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20