Firmware update bricked drone.

Reaction score
2 days ago i was operating the drone as normal, all seemed fine and i thought i should try to install the new firmware. Little did i know that this would make my drone unusable. The drone will make a very loud long single beep. I have done everything there is to do and there has been no resolution to my problem. Tried downgrading, formatting the card many times, making sure all the cables are secure. I have tried everything and still cant get it to work. If anyone wants more info i have made a video on the topic (
). Below you will find the log error i get. Thank you

[00246058]Version checking[2]...
[00246158][03 05][00] v34.2.0.9 -> v34.2.0.9
[00246258][03 06][00] v2.4.20.28 -> v2.4.20.28
[00246336][04 00][00] v1.48.0.0 -> v1.48.0.0
[00246479][11 00][00] v1.8.0.0 -> v1.8.0.0
[00246718][11 01][00] v1.8.0.0 -> v2.0.0.33, firmware v1.8.0.0 not support.
[00246778][11 01][00] v1.8.0.0 -> v2.0.0.33
[00246918][12 00][00] v1.11.0.0 -> v1.11.0.0
[00247030][12 01][00] v1.11.0.0 -> v1.11.0.0
[00247152][12 02][00] v1.11.0.0 -> v1.11.0.0
[00247269][12 03][00] v1.11.0.0 -> v1.11.0.0
[00259837][15 00][00] device not detected.
[00259943][17 00][00] v1.1.1.7 -> v1.1.1.7
[00260082][17 01][00] v1.0.2.7 -> v1.0.2.7
[00260173][19 00][00] v1.0.8.96 -> v1.0.8.96
[00260234][01 00][00] v1.32.5432 -> v1.32.5432
[00260300][01 01][00] v1.32.5432 -> v1.32.5432
[00272863][08 00][00] device not detected.
[00272956][09 00][05] v3.0.0.10 -> v3.0.0.10
[00273014]Packet upgrade failed at version checking.

You most likely need to replace your main gimbal board. See more details here.

Wonder if the gimbal cable were to be unplugged if the motors would start. To narrow the issue to that.

You most likely need to replace your main gimbal board. See more details here.

I checked out the link and now wondering. When I use the Flight Simulator does the AC need to be on an if so do I have to take measures to protect the board.

Exellent!! If the Phantom is under 12 months old it is covered by warranty.

I checked out the link and now wondering. When I use the Flight Simulator does the AC need to be on an if so do I have to take measures to protect the board.
Yes, fan on it.

Sadly it is not covered, I will have to invest in a new gimble I suppose.

So what firmware version was in the aircraft prior to updating, and which version were attempting to install?

Was this P3P version firmware or P3A?

Radot,
Same happened to mine, but the update finally took. I will give you the steps I did and hopefully this will work for you. Essentially the update instead of taking 15 minutes took about an hour or more. You just have to put the drone in an area of the house or garage where the beeping doesn't bother you.

1. Make sure your controller is fully charged
2. Make sure Phantom 3 battery is fully charged
3. Format your card sd card
4. Put the firmware update back on the sd card
5. Put Phantom in a basement of in the garage so you don't have to hear that annoying beeping...
6. Power drone on
7. Forget about the drone for about 1 hour. I faintly heard that beeping stop and figured the the drone battery or drone died, but when I went down to check on it to my surprise, beeping stopped and the drone indicated good (green led).
10. I powered down
11. Installed a fresh battery
12. Removed and Formatted the SD card
13. Open the app, power the controller then powered the drone.
14. Drone powered with normal sound, app indicated new firmware
15. Ran IMU calibration, gimbal auto calibration, compass calibration
16. Flew around the yard for confidence, and then a longer flight once confident

I can't guarantee this will work for you, but have nothing to lose at this point.

Last edited:
Radot,
Same happened to mine, but the update finally took. I will give you the steps I did and hopefully this will work for you. Essentially the update instead of taking 15 minutes took about an hour or more. You just have to put the drone in an area of the house or garage where the beeping doesn't bother you.

5. Put Phantom in a basement of in the garage so you don't have to hear that annoying beeping...
6. Power controller and open app
7. Power drone on
8. Forget about the drone for about 1 hour. I faintly heard that beeping stop and figured the the drone battery or drone died, but when I went down to check on it to my surprise, beeping stopped and the drone and controller indicated all good.
9. I powered down
10. Installed a fresh battery
11. Removed and Formatted the SD card
12. Re opened the app, powered the controller then powered the drone.
13. Drone powered with normal sound, app indicated new firmware
14. Ran IMU calibration, gimbal auto calibration, compass calibration
15. Flew around the yard for confidence, and then a longer flight once confident

I can't guarantee this will work for you, but have nothing to lose at this point.

Other then not including a remote controller calibration everything mentioned is spot on! :)

Last edited:
Radot,

6. Power controller and open app
7. Power drone on
8. Forget about the drone for about 1 hour. I faintly heard that beeping stop and figured the the drone battery or drone died, but when I went down to check on it to my surprise, beeping stopped and the drone and controller indicated all good.
9. I powered down
10. Installed a fresh battery
11. Removed and Formatted the SD card
12. Re opened the app, powered the controller then powered the drone.
13. Drone powered with normal sound, app indicated new firmware
14. Ran IMU calibration, gimbal auto calibration, compass calibration
15. Flew around the yard for confidence, and then a longer flight once confident

When upgrading the bird, dont power on the remote or open the app.

If this relates to the 1.10 FW, mine took 15 minutes or so, just the quad powered on, a few startup tunes and a few camera wiggles and all done fine, flew next day with no issues, didn't calibrate anything afterwards either.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

When I updated one of my Phantoms (only one so far, to see....), the tune it plays usually loudly on start up played quietly during a update reboot. I thought Cool!, a muted startup tune with this update!... but alas.... Once update was done, tune played at full volume as it did before. I wanted to have a quieter startup. (silicone on the piezo speaker is next).

I have the same problem with my Phantom 3 Professional. The firmware 1.10.90 is not good. I have contacted DJI many times, and two of the people I contacted admitted they have a problem, but so far, they have done nothing to fixed. I tried to post a complaint in amazon.com but they refused to post it. They told me that the complaint was Bias.

Know I have a broken Drone and no place to go, just wait to see if they fix the problem.

I have the same problem with my Phantom 3 Professional. The firmware 1.10.90 is not good. I have contacted DJI many times, and two of the people I contacted admitted they have a problem, but so far, they have done nothing to fixed. I tried to post a complaint in amazon.com but they refused to post it. They told me that the complaint was Bias.

Know I have a broken Drone and no place to go, just wait to see if they fix the problem.
Did you try what litespeed did? ( a few posts above)

Hi all, I have a P3A & mine did the annoying alarm beep after an update.Obvoiusly a fail. I believe it was my own fault as I switched it off after 30 odd minutes into update. It did some weird things to lead me to believe I needed to start all over again like limp camera, no flashing lights only usual update sound. I did what "Litespeed" suggested & it came good. I took it to the sports grounds to test out & can say it flew flawlessly. Previously I was having issues with downloaded video clips that stayed in a frozen position for entire length of that flight. Three video clips did that in succession. This update seems to have it all sorted now. But I must say I am very skeptical of updates from DJI.

Reactions: Teamfour
So guys after tampering with the drone and trying everything that was suggested here (thank you for getting back to me) and on other forums i sadly could not bring any resolution to my problem so i had to send it to DJI Support. My drone being 1,5 years old was covered under warranty which was really big relief ,anybody facing the same issue and are wanting to send the drone to DJI for a repair will most likely have to pay 380 pound for a repair (assuming the same parts are failing) which in my opinion is quite steep. So give it a good thought and make sure to try everything before sending it for a repair, i must point out that the drone flew using the first update without the gimble attached so you could use it without the gimble (although that would defeat the whole purpose of owning one if u ask me). So thank you for the responses, have a good one!

So guys after tampering with the drone and trying everything that was suggested here (thank you for getting back to me) and on other forums i sadly could not bring any resolution to my problem so i had to send it to DJI Support. My drone being 1,5 years old was covered under warranty which was really big relief ,anybody facing the same issue and are wanting to send the drone to DJI for a repair will most likely have to pay 380 pound for a repair (assuming the same parts are failing) which in my opinion is quite steep. So give it a good thought and make sure to try everything before sending it for a repair, i must point out that the drone flew using the first update without the gimble attached so you could use it without the gimble (although that would defeat the whole purpose of owning one if u ask me). So thank you for the responses, have a good one!
Glad you got a warranty repair!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik