Firmware update 3/26/14

PetePerrim said:
I'm also in Christchurch.

Pete, as you are in NZ, see if this applies to you: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10317

PetePerrim said:
I'm in Northwood. What that means is that we are probably both in the no fly zone placed on way point flying within 8km of Chch Intl. Im going to wait until tomorrow before updating now, its pitch black out there, not the best time to have to go hunting for a crashed quad! I'll report back how mine turns out.

The no fly zones are for the ground station functionality only. They do not affect GPS or other modes of flight.

Eos630 said:
Never had any toilet bowl effect, myself, and maybe you're doing this right, but I'm wondering if you are doing that "calibration dance" so many people seem to do where they hold their arms out and spin themselves in a circle. You should be staying still and rotating only the copter in your hands, around a fixed axis.

You're supposed to ROTATE around a fixed point, not revolve around it.

They are getting TBE because of magnetic declination not because of method of calibration. Compass dance works just as well as spinning it in place. From a magnetic perspective, it makes no difference.

Eos630 said:
Thank you, and that music made me cry a little, but no one was asking what TBE was. Someone was just blaming the new firmware for not fixing it.

Yes, and the new firmware appears to NOT have fixed the compass declination issue which is why they get TBE in NZ.

ianwood said:
Yes, and the new firmware appears to NOT have fixed the compass declination issue which is why they get TBE in NZ.
I have 2 Phantom 2's and I upgraded one this morning following the direction specifically and I can confirm that this is in fact true. The firmware update did not correct my "J" hook. I think I'll hold off on the other one till I fly the updated one for a while.

I am going to give DJI the benefit of the doubt that maybe they didn't know how many people are affected by the declination issue or how much it affects them. But, I know they are aware of it now. So from here on in, there is no excuse. We have over 50 people reporting the problem and all of us are going to make sure the declination issue gets addressed in the next firmware!

Tahoe Ed, you work for DJI, please help us get this issue the attention it needs within DJI.

C-Mac13 said:
itomas58 said:
Ok I just updated my P2 successfully. Works great.
How did yours fly prior to the update?

I used to have the j hook but adjusted the compass before the update. I don't see a difference in the flight characteristics as compared to before update.

Question can I run the ground station on a Win 7 pc?

OI Photography said:
extrememc said:
Question can I run the ground station on a Win 7 pc?

I run the PC software on Win7 64-bit no problem, even works fine on the old crappy laptop on my bench.
Great in for one! Happy happy happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who's updated and used ground station already? I want to hear about it!!!

ianwood said:

Only the firmware that supports ground station is out. The updated Ground Station App has not been released on the App. store. DJI is waiting for Apple to approve the app and should be out next week. :cry:

magick said:
Did u update both the Main Controller Firmware Version : 2.00 and Central Board Firmware Version : 1.0.1.24 and then get the 'Toilet bowling' effect ?

Interestingly enough, just got up this morning and plugged it in, and the 1.0.1.24 update was finally available. Installed it, Basic CAL, Advanced CAL, power off/on, compass dance. No change. Still TBE and J-hooking.

BigBadFun said:
magick said:
Did u update both the Main Controller Firmware Version : 2.00 and Central Board Firmware Version : 1.0.1.24 and then get the 'Toilet bowling' effect ?

Interestingly enough, just got up this morning and plugged it in, and the 1.0.1.24 update was finally available. Installed it, Basic CAL, Advanced CAL, power off/on, compass dance. No change. Still TBE and J-hooking.

Same here. No change.

ianwood said:

Just got in from a pretty good run. Distance one way 1200m, height 600m, return 1200m (over water). :)
Im currently using the old Ground Station version that is available in the AppStore right now. This works as long as you update everything EXCEPT the BTU. If you upgrade to 1.0.1.3 there will be no connection with the iPad app.

This is my first experience with Ground Station, so I can't compare it to anything else....
I bet it will be an even better user experience when the new approved Ground Station hits the app store. :)

Just got back from a test flight with the iPad GS and it worked great but I want to know -
1 does the phantom need to be connected to the ground station even after the mission is planned ? Or once it's planned it will go and come back irrespective ? How far can one go? I mean does the battery calculate the time for the return distance ?
2 I can't run in simulator mode
3 how do i take over from the remote controller instead of using the iPad ?
4. My bluetooth disconnects often when indoors anyone know why? (Ground to iPad)
An update for the GS is on the way I believe. Will it fix anything ?

:D I confirm the phantom is much more steady and flies smooth. I also was able to use the iPad ground station and it worked :cool: I was in awe. 3 months ago this was a dream! I purchased all the hardware never got to connecting it. It's a great experience.

However while coming home it landed over a tree prob hit the tree and crashed to the floor from 15 feet high. My fault - home was near a few trees and my first rather bad crash after about 20 flights. Bent gimbal plates and a dented go pro. Mangled can bus ribbon cable. Any advice ? Can I bend the gimbal plates into shape HELP

rcimpulse said:
while coming home it landed over a tree prob hit the tree and crashed to the floor from 15 feet high. My fault - home was near a few trees and my first rather bad crash after about 20 flights. Bent gimbal plates and a dented go pro. Mangled can bus ribbon cable. Any advice ? Can I bend the gimbal plates into shape HELP

How did it hit the tree? Did it think the homepoint was by the tree or was the altitude just not set high enough?

Ah, the first of many ground station related crashes! Fortunately, yours sounds fixable. Just find the other posts on crashes and you'll see what you need to do. You'll be back in the air in no time.

I don't think the GS needs to be connected for the whole mission and BVR is supported. To take over with the controller, you need to have it on and toggle S1 to ATTI and then back to GPS. And, I don't think GS is smart enough to know how much battery life you have or when it needs to turn back to get home safely. I think you need to do some classic speed, time and distance calculations and make sure you have enough "fuel" to make the trip with plenty of margin for error. There's an app for that!

I see some have made their flights today - I guess you are still using the old app and that seems to work OK?

Apple have not released the new GS App yet that supposed to be the updated one to use with P2.

I upgraded all f/w and have Flight Sim mode working OK but not daring to go outside without the new App.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys! My P2 thought the home point was near the tree my bad! Prop hit a branch and ouch!
Thanks I'll remember to switch to ATTI and back to gps next time I could have manually avoided the crash! Oh well! You don't learn unless this happened at least once :?:
Maybe I'll wait till the updated. GS is out for my next flight fix my gimbal plates. BTW what is the flight time one gets with avl fpv tx zenmuse gopro and iPad datalink ?
I believe the software calculates approx battery time based on voltage and deduces a total flight time? I think I saw it somewhere.. It better. !
I would like to add the quality of the shell - the plastic used is really good. The crash led to the body snap out a little - loosening a few screws and it snapped back into place. The legs have a little bend :( the ribbon to the can bus connector on the leg is cut / broken- Can I make one or is it a proprietary connector :eek:
Leaving the phantom in the hands of autopilot was a rather scary experience! Risking all that stuff on it :cry:
Anyone got a gps locator on their phantom ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4