Firmware update 3/26/14

I regularly descend at 4m/s down to 50ft then at 2m/s below that.It makes funny whirring noises with fast decent. I do ensure I don't have left stick at full limit so as not to trigger prop switch off.

extrememc said:
Could this possible be the answer to no more flyaway and the need for a GPS unit?

dbolner said:
Will this firmware upgrade to the p2z fix the fly away issue all together as far as mechanical issues go

Not sure which flyaways you guys are referring to. There are definitely flyaways where they took off from a moving surface like a boat. And there are ones where they calibrated their compass on a sidewalk or in a parking lot. And then there's the one where the owner broke the tip of a blade and taped it back together.

I think the number of unexplained P2 flyaways can be counted on one hand.

Will this firmware upgrade to the p2z fix the fly away issue all together as far as mechanical issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianwood said:
extrememc said:
Could this possible be the answer to no more flyaway and the need for a GPS unit?

dbolner said:
Will this firmware upgrade to the p2z fix the fly away issue all together as far as mechanical issues go

Not sure which flyaways you guys are referring to. There are definitely flyaways where they took off from a moving surface like a boat. And there are ones where they calibrated their compass on a sidewalk or in a parking lot. And then there's the one where the owner broke the tip of a blade and taped it back together.

I think the number of unexplained P2 flyaways can be counted on one hand.

So you saying since I calibrated mine in my drive way it could fly away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hook3m said:
PetePerrim said:
hook3m said:
In the new firmware.... "The maximum descending speed is limited to 3m/s." Never paid a attention to it before but what could you achieve before at full down stick?

You could achieve an uncontrolled plummet where gravity took over the descent and you ended up hitting the ground with an impressive 'bang' and a mangled gimbal. Speaking from experience here!! :roll:

Maybe in Att. mode but not in GPS. I've been 1000 ft and did a full stick down until about 200 ft. with no issues and full control. If you $#% up your Phantom it straight up Pilot error.
Not quite as simple as that. If you descend in GPs mode while there's a nice breeze then even though you don't give any horizontal stick because of that Position Hold thingy the wind speed effectively makes your bird move horizontally through the air which reduces the chance of entering VRS. This effect is absent when in Atti because then you drift with any wind there might be.

So it's quite conceivable to descend "straight down" (ground speed!!!) rapidly in GPS mode when there's wind while it would result in a crash without wind.

Is it possible to keep this thread about the firmware update and not taking off from boats or descent speed preferences... ta :cool:

BigBadFun said:
Is it possible to keep this thread about the firmware update and not taking off from boats or descent speed preferences... ta :cool:

It's like the RP thread, until such an update is actually released...... ;)

What is going on! I have never waited so much for a software!
Bring it on DJI. Has anyone succesufully updated and connected the GS got a green light on the BT?
Help

As others report above, I can install Assistant 2.0, but there's no new firmware links. When the FC is powered up, all the Tabs except Upgrade are grayed out. Turn the P2 off, however, and the Tabs become accessible, with some curious changes.

The most peculiar is that the Control-Switch Modes listed in Assistant 2.0 are either "Normal Fly" or "Failsafe." Gone are GPS, ATTI and Manual. Also, IOC has vanished from the Advanced Tab, although there is still an IOC box under the View Tab. Finally, the Default Gains listed under the Basic Tab are rather strange -- 100/100/100/50/40/40.

Perhaps this will all change once the new firmware is installed in the Naza Phantom 2 Flight Control and the Assistant is actually connected. But, still, it seems to only get curiouser... and curiouser.

One footnote to the limits speculation, it certainly appears that you can enter whatever limits you want -- and do it in meters, or feet, or MILES!

extrememc said:

Yes. If there is anything magnetic nearby (e.g. rebar under a paved surface) you risk a flyaway. Maybe the new firmware calibration algorithm helps to detect it better but do not calibrate in an area that may be influenced by nearby magnetic material.

iResq said:
And taking of from a boat causes fly aways? Weird.

Yes. IMU initialization requires the Phantom is still when you turn it on. If it is not still, like on a boat, the IMU will either fail to initialize and the Phantom won't start or worse it will think it initialized OK but was moving enough to get erroneous data that will then put it at risk of a flyway.

BigBadFun said:

No one can download it yet. That can only be repeated so many times. Maybe we can talk about what we think it will be like. I think the new firmware will give me 25 minutes of flying time, will automatically avoid power lines and tree limbs and will have a new flight control algorithm that eliminates yaw wiggle in 40MPH winds so I don't need to bother getting a 3D gimbal!

ianwood said:
No one can download it yet. That can only be repeated so many times. Maybe we can talk about what we think it will be like. I think the new firmware will give me 25 minutes of flying time, will automatically avoid power lines and tree limbs and will have a new flight control algorithm that eliminates yaw wiggle in 40MPH winds so I don't need to bother getting a 3D gimbal!

... and prevent 100 percent of all flyways.

Seriously, though, could have used that ability to fly in 40MPH winds today. It was a steady 30+MPH with gusts into the 50s.

Quadro said:
Seriously, though, could have used that ability to fly in 40MPH winds today. It was a steady 30+MPH with gusts into the 50s.

Yeah, winds are bad here in Austin too. Weather always seems to be bad every time I get something new and want to try it out. :(

ianwood said:
extrememc said:

Yes. If there is anything magnetic nearby (e.g. rebar under a paved surface) you risk a flyaway. Maybe the new firmware calibration algorithm helps to detect it better but do not calibrate in an area that may be influenced by nearby magnetic material.

iResq said:
And taking of from a boat causes fly aways? Weird.

Yes. IMU initialization requires the Phantom is still when you turn it on. If it is not still, like on a boat, the IMU will either fail to initialize and the Phantom won't start or worse it will think it initialized OK but was moving enough to get erroneous data that will then put it at risk of a flyway.

BigBadFun said:

LMAO! This thread is a fly away!

Received an email from DJI abt the v2 firmware. But my assistant v2.0 software says I have to latest firmware which is only the 1.08. hmmm. Wonder why is DJI holding back the worldwide firmware update.

Anybody here successfully updated it ? :roll:

No one has managed to update yet as DJI have not posted the new firmware online. They are apparently having "server issues" which they expect will be resolved "tomorrow".

New Zealand - Just updated to FIRMWARE 2.00 successfully.... off to test flight... update in 30mins....

WHAT A PILE OF CRAP. Toilet bowling probably worse than ever. J-Hooking still exists.

Totally defective product. DJI - WTF are you doing??????????????????????????????????? Not happy.

BigBadFun said:
WHAT A PILE OF CRAP. Toilet bowling probably worse than ever. J-Hooking still exists.

Totally defective product. DJI - WTF are you doing??????????????????????????????????? Not happy.

lol you live up to your username huh

have you done a recalibration? check the gyro's numbers on assistant while the phantom is on surface while you're at it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan