Firmware skeptics

1. Improved aircraft stability through optimized flight controller logic.
2. Optimized gimbal parameters.
3. Fixed clip preview error in 2.7K resolution mode.
4. Improved encryption to enhance security during transmission
5. Improved compass accuracy.
6. Fixed issue of image being corrupted in rare occasion
7. Improved battery reliability when using the aircraft in cold environments.
8. Optimized battery management

What's so vague about these release notes? Do you expect DJI to give you some technical dissertation on each improvement?
Not a technical dissertation, but 2 or 3 sentences each would be nice. For example a search of "Fixed clip preview error in 2.7K" simply brings me back to this and another similar thread. No further explanation available.
Why do gimbal parameters need to be optimized? Is improved encryption to protect us from FAA spies? Or is it somehow to keep the connection intact when interfering signals are present?
I'm at 1.6.40, so already have items 7 and 8.
The only item on that list that might interest me is "Improved Aircraft Stability", hoping it would allow a slower shutter speed for dim light photography. The rest either is to solve problems I don't have, or not clear what they are talking about.

Reactions: pomonabill220
My opinion:

"It just flyes fine". Yes, and it's not "just" - that is what it's all about, at the very bottom. It's a pretty basic and comprehensive concept. Heck, that's the very reason DJI releases updates and improvements! So it "just flyes fine".

But what if my P3P has no bugs, no drifting, no image, battery or connection issues - basically, if it "just flyes fine" as it is -whichever FW version it's on? Then I guess it's OK to not update, or delay as pleased, if only because the AC is at the very state of things I expect or demand. And yes, if it's fine then there's always the possibility that it something goes wrong by updating.

So I guess people just weight options, potential losses and gains when deciding to update or not.

When I was a brand new member and owner i got caught up in the same fear seeing all those posts. I quickly noticed the same trend you did and have come to the same conclusion. This post needed to be made. Good on you.

Reactions: 0DRK3RT
For those that have been in the game a lot longer than the p3, there were numerous problems with p2 firmware updates, fc40 and early p3 releases, not just version 1.5.

So people are rightly cautious, which is not helped by DJI not providing proper release notes.
Let's not forget the problems we experienced with the original Phantoms and DJI terrible customer service.

Buyer be aware. I still wait a month.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Fully agree with the guy who started this thread, I only read this forum sporadically now as the large percentage of noise on here comes from a small percentage of drone pilots. Like many things if you are not happy with a product, try a different manufacturer. DJI seem no worse or better than many companies. I have the standard and the Advanced. The firmware updates have always gone well as I follow the instructions to the letter. I would make a wild stab in the dark but I would think impatience plays a part and not following instructions of course. As for the restrictions, I don't personally need to fly in NFZs, plenty of other places, if there are restrictions maybe some of the idiots will be prevented from giving the rest a bad name! On top of that all the "how far/high can I fly stuff", jeez move on!

Reactions: 0DRK3RT
Firmware Skeptics?
Hmm, I resemble that!
image.gif

When DJI ads limitations to our birds capability without disclosing them in the firmware release notes, I draw the line. Many of us on PP know exactly what I'm talking about. This is not about fear mongering, it's about knowing your Phantom and how it performs with the firmware currently installed.

Too many times I see posts about someone on vacation or location to fly their Phantom and they have a firmware issue. Sometimes it's an update problem they instigated themselves by updating just prior to the event, or a crash because they didn't check their settings that the firmware update changed.

A couple of years ago while on vacation in Hawaii over Chrismas some PP members were complaining their birds would not fly because of a NFZ over the entire island. This was on the Big Island where Airforce 2 was parked while Obama was on vacation on Oahu. My trusty P2V+ had no issues because I know how to change the firmware.;)

Well, that ability is gone with the Phantom 3 and the Go App.:eek:

I was on Maui for Spring Break with my P3P. I had permission to fly at our resort and had notified the small inland airport that I would be flying over the coast below 100'. They were very nice and just wanted to know when I was done. I brought the wrong bird, couldn't fly because of the NFZ. I called the airport Manager and told her I was done.:mad:

I'm not exactly sure when this nice feature was added, but since DJI has historically added features in early firmware updates, then dumbed up the Phantoms in later firmware updates, I don't want the later updates. Firmware updates are not always upgrades.

Yes, call me a firmware skeptic. It's something DJI taught me while I've owned and operated Phantoms.

Ariel , you sir are sounding like an elitist jerk , climb out of your ivory tower and maybe direct some new flyers on where to find all that fantastice knowlege you speaketh of .And as far as what its coming to ,well its coming down to a price point that allows people like me with no experience to experience a fascinating hobby. And at 400 dollars I'm ok if it goes down in glorious flames. For the record I have did my due diligence and registered the bird and gathered a lot of safety info from sights like this ( thanks folks ) . Flying and loving it !

DJI should post a link to a list of changes when they upgrade, which the do not as far as I know. Most people would be happy except the people that object to no fly zones.

Think about it if you ever have a major issue with DJI you better have the latest firmware version .

DJI should post a link to a list of changes when they upgrade, which the do not as far as I know. Most people would be happy except the people that object to no fly zones.

They usually do, in the release notes that's on the same download page as the firmware download. For instance, here's the release notes from the last firmware upgrade on the P3P download page.

Many people are still not happy and wish they would include more details. Many people don't realize that this is just about how most manufacturers do it, if they have release notes at all.

Many people will just never be happy.

Edit: that link may become stale with the next firmware upgrade, so navigate to the download page for your craft manually.

Some people need to experience the wrath upon them before they pay attention.

First I would like to point out that it should be appreciated when the senior members either share or point out why something may or may not be with in reason. I personally may not be completely descriptive from A to Z, but I try to suggest enough detail for most to have a general idea. One thing is for sure, I do not waste my time posting about something that I haven't experienced with some type of facts. If facts were not part of it, I will clearly mention it before selecting the "Post Reply" button.

Firmware Updates--- There is numerous reasons why some prefer to not update, and even more so why it's good to wait and see how it goes. I have never understood why some members feel like they need to update asap. It's not like these updates are known to include must have features or increased performance of any kind. They never will either because the business world doesn't work that away. New must have's are saved for the next model release.

My P3P has FW v1.4.1 and if I had the ability to go back to v1.1.9 I would. When the battery issue in v1.5.3 was corrected at v1.5.7 is when I stopped advancing firmware versions. I also withdrew from being a beta tester. This happened to be the same time dji reduced our aircraft's speed to around 20mph in temps below 70 degrees. I have NO desire to being limited to safe flying only during calm or breezy days.

Anyway, after reading the OP's 1st post I took as he was implying the suggestions to not update firmware right away was surrounded around "firmware bug's" is totally not the case whatsoever. Just know the lists are long for reasons why someone would wait or not update at all.

Reactions: Fplvert
Firmware Updates--- There is numerous reasons why some prefer to not update, and even more so why it's good to wait and see how it goes. I have never understood why some members feel like they need to update asap. It's not like these updates are known to include must have features or increased performance of any kind.

There's are a few examples to the contrary:
  • When I first got my P3P, it only had 2 of the IOC functions, which now total 5. You could only get the new ones in firmware updates (or bought a bird with newer firmware).
  • For one Phantom model, video resolution was increased from 1080p to 2.7k. That was also done in firmware
  • Then there's the firmware change that improved battery performance in cold weather. I suppose you could argue that they use the word 'performance', but if you feel that need, please see this definition first.
Chris

Thanks, I actually have no issues, every update of my standard and advanced has gone well. If it doesnt my first assumption would be that I messed up though. If all the changes are listed then whats the worry? I guess there's the conspiracy theorists! So DJI hide some of the changes such as adding NFZs? Well UK are already looking at legislation to limit use, due to all the bad press, if adding NFZs makes drones acceptable to the masses who believe all the press, then so be it. If the only reason you dont upgrade is because of the limitations, then those people will always work around the system and we will all end up spending shitloads to get a compulsory licence one day. If people are not upgrading because of the genuine few people who have had issues then theres nothing wrong with a bit of caution... Anyone remember upgrading from Microsoft windows 3.1 about 200 years ago? not much changes with software! DJI are no different to any other manufacturer, its not a conspiracy ☺

Just a quick not on firmware introducing limitations: my understandings is nobody is complaining about bona fide NFZs. I mean, we really do NOT want to be flying in those big scary red NFZs, right?

I think it's Geofencing "yellow" zones that have people more in a huff. And it doesn't mean why can't fly there, but that we have to get permissions first.

Do I have that right?

Please list other gotchas with these limitations, probably including but not limited to the fact that other manufactures aren't doing Geofencing yet, or the governments have not made it hard-set rules for this yet. I think that would all be OT.

Chris

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl