Firmware issues ( solved, I think )

Reaction score
New to the drone world and loving every minute of it...

I purchased a P4P+ and this thing is the best of the best, I have had it up around 60 times and just love it...

My drone flies smooth and takes great videos and the last time I took it out it stated my aircraft needs updateing. I followed the directions and updated my firmware from vol.02.0304 to the new vol.03.418 along with updating my controller as well. I then updated my imu, along with a compas calibration. THIS IS WHERE THE " FUN " BEGAINS..

I took it out and brought it up about 5' as I usually do and it started dancing all over the place, I was able to catch it before anything happened but what just took place ?

Calling DJI support ( extreamly disapponted with the support team ) First they told me to send it back for repairs but I explained it must be something simple I wanted to try to fix it first. They had me redo everything a couple different ways and after around three hours and about 5 different call backs my phantom now flies good but the video is pitiful. It locks up and jumps all over the place, also freezes up and distorts real bad.

Looking for support from the form ( my first try ) from thoes who might have an ideal for something to try to get it fixed.

I would like to thank everyone in advance for yout help...

...Allen

Is it the live video stream that is bad, the one from the SD card, or both? Might be a device (phone/tablet) issue, if the SD card video is ok.
Never mind, I saw the plus sign. Still need to know which video is bad.

What happened is the new firm ware changed my settings to 4K and I was running 1080 with a 16gb sd card.

What happened is the new firm ware changed my settings to 4K and I was running 1080 with a 16gb sd card.
I am assuming that you did the IMU calibration on a dead level surface with the battery/quad as cold as possible. A bad calibration will have it moving all over the place. As for your image, can't you change the video settings back to 1080 in your settings in the app?

Indeed I changed it back and all is well in 1080...

I did do the imu calibration but it was not cold, I do have a question it starts off setting normal then it shows it on one side and then the other. When you set it on the side the lights blink amber then green and it shows the other side. Mine works fine on both sides but never shows the front or back sides on the display. It will set on 3 of 6 but the lights are green I will go ahead and set it on the back and the lights start blinking amber then greeen. At that point I will set it on the front with the lights doing the same, then the display will show the quad to be placed upside down and I do this and it will show compleded with a green check mark.

I really do not know if my 4K even works, I tried it with a 32gb sd card and it just jumps around and freezes up. I change it to 1080 and it works good. Could it be my computed can't handle 4K ?

If so how does one view it in 4K...

Thanks for your support...

...allen

Indeed I changed it back and all is well in 1080...

I did do the imu calibration but it was not cold, I do have a question it starts off setting normal then it shows it on one side and then the other. When you set it on the side the lights blink amber then green and it shows the other side. Mine works fine on both sides but never shows the front or back sides on the display. It will set on 3 of 6 but the lights are green I will go ahead and set it on the back and the lights start blinking amber then greeen. At that point I will set it on the front with the lights doing the same, then the display will show the quad to be placed upside down and I do this and it will show compleded with a green check mark.

I really do not know if my 4K even works, I tried it with a 32gb sd card and it just jumps around and freezes up. I change it to 1080 and it works good. Could it be my computed can't handle 4K ?

If so how does one view it in 4K...

Thanks for your support...

...allen
Bit confused, are you doing an IMU calibration or compass calibration? You don't touch the quad at all when you are doing an IMU calibration, make sure the quad/battery are as cold as possible, flat level surface, turn everything on, select IMU calibration in the app and walk away from it until the calibration is finished.
As for 4K, depends on what device you are using as some are not able to display it properly. The video on the SD card will be fine although older computers may not be able to process the footage. I use an iPhone 6+ and have a computer that is set up to work fine with 4K.

Bit confused, are you doing an IMU calibration or compass calibration? You don't touch the quad at all when you are doing an IMU calibration, make sure the quad/battery are as cold as possible, flat level surface, turn everything on, select IMU calibration in the app and walk away from it until the calibration is finished.
As for 4K, depends on what device you are using as some are not able to display it properly. The video on the SD card will be fine although older computers may not be able to process the footage. I use an iPhone 6+ and have a computer that is set up to work fine with 4K.

I thought the IMU calibration is where you start it being setting up right then when the computer screen shown it on the side you change it to match the screen. It does both sides then front and back and then upside down ?

I know how to do the compass calibration also.

...Allen

I thought the IMU calibration is where you start it being setting up right then when the computer screen shown it on the side you change it to match the screen. It does both sides then front and back and then upside down ?

I know how to do the compass calibration also.

...Allen
No that's a sensor calibration, get that wrong and you will have problems. You need to do an IMU calibration to get the barometer reading correctly, people do it if they are having issues with the quad being stable in flight, as may be the problem in your case.

No, you are confusing a VPS calibration with an IMU calibration. They are two completely different things.

I watched a video on the imu calibration and it showed not moving the quad the entire time, I tried the same method but it starts showing me to move the quar from side to side ?

I do not have a clue why it is different from the video.

You have to move the phantom each time the picture changes to match or the calibration will not move on to the next step. There are 5 steps in all..... I had the same issue my first day, I wasn't realizing that the drone was in different positions. This video shows it the right way.....

I watched a video on the imu calibration and it showed not moving the quad the entire time, I tried the same method but it starts showing me to move the quar from side to side ?

I do not have a clue why it is different from the video.
The IMU calibration is done on a flat level surface and must be done without moving or touching the drone at all. As mentioned earlier, it is best done when cold. The VPS calibration involves you moving the drone and aligning it with your computer screen.

You have to move the phantom each time the picture changes to match or the calibration will not move on to the next step. There are 5 steps in all..... I had the same issue my first day, I wasn't realizing that the drone was in different positions. This video shows it the right way.....

Apologies, I missread the OP as having a P4 and not the P4Pro. You guys are correct.

So i updated the bird with the newest FW but the remote doesn't seem to be updating. When i can get into the app (all lot of the time the app is stuck on the 'how to connect' screen) Everything is connected and i can fly but i have no view in the camera. i can move the gamble around and everything just no view or piuc/video capabilities. someone please help so i don't have to send it in to DJI and wait 6 weeks to get it back and pay money to fix a drone I've flown maybe 6-8 times!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues