Firmware 3.04 breaks Wi-Fi...and Kernel crashes Mac!

Reaction score
As per this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18703 it's clear now, that the 3.04 upgrade has totally broken my P2V ability to create a Wi-fi network and connect to the iPhone app.

But even worse - when I had the RC and Assistant Software open on my (relatively new, and fully updated and perfectly working) iMac (32GB RAM) the iMac had a total Kernel crash! I have worked on Macs for 10+ years and this is the first time I have ever experienced a Kernel crash.

SO BE CAUTIOUS WITH THIS UPGRADE!

Sounds like an odd issue. I have a relatively new macbook pro fully updated and upgraded from 2.0 to 3.04 yesterday evening without any problems. Everything connected back up like it was supposed to... including wifi.

Prior to DJI releasing the Mac software, I used a Windows VM to run their software. Have you tried that?

There's a possibility that something in the software install has gotten corrupt. You might try removing the software with something like App cleaner. I've used that particular one before to completely remove a piece software that was having problems.

On the wifi... Can you see the Phantom_xxxxx SSID at all from your iPhone? Have you tried finding the SSID and connecting from another device?

Prior to DJI releasing the Mac software, I used a Windows VM to run their software. Have you tried that?
No, everything worked fine prior to this update and installing VM Ware is quite a big job for this issue as it's almost suddenly a problem with the software.
There's a possibility that something in the software install has gotten corrupt. You might try removing the software with something like App cleaner. I've used that particular one before to completely remove a piece software that was having problems.

Yes, I even downloaded Assistant Software 1.8, 2.0 and 3.0 and downgraded the P2V and then upgraded again.Same issue - it will not make a new wi-fi network only maybe 1 out of 100 tries results in a network. I always remove software with CleanMyMac so that's not an issue.

I was able - after trying for 2 hours - to connect and then rebind camera with the app, so that's not an issue - and everything worked perfectly until the update.

Funny thing though: In Assistant Software Firmware is stated as 3.4 and latest update as 3.04. Updating doesn't change that. Also P330CB is listed as ver. 1.0.1.30 and latest version as 1.0.1.30 as if it hasn't updated correctly, but for the other items fx. Receiver/battery then they are listed with "No updates"..??? Why is that?

On the wifi... Can you see the Phantom_xxxxx SSID at all from your iPhone? Have you tried finding the SSID and connecting from another device?
Yes, and it's the exact same thing as the problem is that the P2V does not make a new "Phantom..." network?

Attachments

• AS.png
    AS.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 736
dronie said:
As per this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18703 it's clear now, that the 3.04 upgrade has totally broken my P2V ability to create a Wi-fi network and connect to the iPhone app.

But even worse - when I had the RC and Assistant Software open on my (relatively new, and fully updated and perfectly working) iMac (32GB RAM) the iMac had a total Kernel crash! I have worked on Macs for 10+ years and this is the first time I have ever experienced a Kernel crash.

SO BE CAUTIOUS WITH THIS UPGRADE!
I'm also on Mac (10.6.8 and 10.9.3 MBP and MacPro) and I experienced no problems whatsoever.

That said I believe you, but your crash may be caused by a conflict with another app ?

Also try repairing disk autorisations (Disk utility) and trash the DJI app prefs (com.dji.phantom_rc.plist and com.dji.Accounts.plist and com.dji.phantom2.plist in user library / Preferences).

I believe mine showed the same as your screenshot.

When you get the wifi to come back up, connect to the SSID with your iMac and SSH to 192.168.1.2 with username root and password 19881209 and see if there are any useful logs being generated. They would be in directory /var/log/. Not sure what logging is enabled, but there may be something useful there that will get you going in the right direction. Also check dmesg to see if anything weird is going on. If I had mine handy, I would look to see what is logging.

Also try repairing disk autorisations (Disk utility) and trash the DJI app prefs (com.dji.phantom_rc.plist and com.dji.Accounts.plist and com.dji.phantom2.plist in user library / Preferences).
Did that, but that didn't really change anything.

When you get the wifi to come back up, connect to the SSID with your iMac and SSH to 192.168.1.2 with username root and password 19881209 and see if there are any useful logs being generated. They would be in directory /var/log/. Not sure what logging is enabled, but there may be something useful there that will get you going in the right direction. Also check dmesg to see if anything weird is going on. If I had mine handy, I would look to see what is logging.

The problem is, even when the Phantom network once in a while shows up on my iMac Wi-Fi list, it's not possible to connect to it. And often it shows up on the iMac list, but not on the iPhone (I know it takes longer to update the list, but it still doesn't always show up here).

It's very clear Wi-Fi settings/network has been totally broken by this update. Any suggestion how to "reset" it? Downgrading via AS 1.8 or 2.0 didn't help as it only downgraded the P2V not the RC controller which seems to be the issue. Is it possible to downgrade the RC - on a mac?

The RC plays no part in the wifi side of things other than being a physical place to mount the Range Extender. The Range Extender isn't upgraded in the process of upgrading to 3.04 and it is where the SSID is broadcasted from...

In other words, you can turn on only the Range Extender without turning on anything else and should be able to see and join the Phantom_xxxxx SSID. And since there are no updates being applied to the Range Extender, it should work just as before.

Wondering why you felt it necessary to start yet another thread, dronie?

I was with you through the first thread you started on this subject. Felt for you, and really wanted to help you solve the issue.
But now that you started another thread... I'm kind of feeling like you're just trying to stir up trouble and doubt.

The simple fact is that firmware 3.04 does NOT break Wi-Fi, nor crash the Mac kernel, for MOST people. Your situation appears to be pretty unique. So to keep jumping on the forum and starting new threads with dire subject lines is pretty much playing Chicken Little.

On top of which, you seem to be jumping to a lot of conclusions, particularly with regards to your Mac issues. As has been suggested, your kernel crashes are most likely due to a conflict with other software on your Mac... either apps, extensions, drivers, or the like... and NOT directly caused by the DJI software alone. That doesn't make it any less of an issue for you... you're still crashing. But it doesn't mean all the blame can be placed on the DJI apps. And it also means there are pretty simple workarounds you can do to probably get around the issue (like starting up with all your extensions disabled).

And as onesNzeros pointed out, something I didn't know myself, it's the repeater that actually establishes the accessible end of the WiFi SID. On a working Vision system, one need only to turn on the repeater (and only the repeater) for the Phantom_xxxx network to appear. And since the repeater was not affected by any updates during the upgrade to v3.04, the firmware is likely NOT the cause of the Phantom_xxxx network not showing up for you. The fact that the system worked before the upgrade, and doesn't work after, looks to be more of a coincidence than anything else.

I would look wholly at the repeater.

When you are resetting the repeater, are you simply giving the reset "button" a simple push? Or are you holding it down until the WiFi signal turns off (page 16 of the user manual)? Does the WiFi LED ever come back and flash green? Do you have any buddies with Phantoms that you might be able to borrow a repeater from, just for testing? It really seems like that's the root of your issues.

Wondering why you felt it necessary to start yet another thread, dronie?
My bad, I got caught up in mac crash etc. and didn't think about that. But you are right, it should stay in the same thread. I apologize for that.

And as onesNzeros pointed out, something I didn't know myself, it's the repeater that actually establishes the accessible end of the WiFi SID. On a working Vision system, one need only to turn on the repeater (and only the repeater) for the Phantom_xxxx network to appear. And since the repeater was not affected by any updates during the upgrade to v3.04, the firmware is likely NOT the cause of the Phantom_xxxx network not showing up for you.

When you say repeater I suppose you mean the "Wi-Fi range extender" as the terminology can be quite confusing (and DJI's naming is also not very consistent btw software and manual etc.)?

The fact that the system worked before the upgrade, and doesn't work after, looks to be more of a coincidence than anything else.
I doubt that, as I had just connected perfectly minutes before the update (and many times before that without issues), and immediately after the update the issues began. So it's 100% due to the update, just haven't figured out exactly what is messed up.

When you are resetting the repeater, are you simply giving the reset "button" a simple push? Or are you holding it down until the WiFi signal turns off (page 16 of the user manual)? Does the WiFi LED ever come back and flash green? Do you have any buddies with Phantoms that you might be able to borrow a repeater from, just for testing? It really seems like that's the root of your issues.
I'm resetting/rebinding as per manual, meaning I'm holding reset button pressed until wifi signal turns off. The LED comes back and flashes green and everything looks fine there. But I will contact a dealer and try to connect with another range extender and see if that helps.

The fact that the system worked before the upgrade, and doesn't work after, looks to be more of a coincidence than anything else.

Also talking against being a coincidence is, that when I'm lucky enough after hours of attempts to connect to the Phantom_xxxx network and open the DJI app, the app shows green led light and connected to "Phantom_xxxx" network. But when I then choose "Camera" the app shows error message "Connection to Phantom Failed". This is another issue I've never seen before - until the update EVERYTHING worked flawlessly.

That's another reason I'm extremely confident that the UPDATE is the reason for all the connection trouble, and that's why I tell ppl to be aware (not to stir up trouble and doubt).

Attachments

• camera.PNG
    camera.PNG
    195 KB · Views: 532
This is what the DJI app looks like when I'm lucky to connect to the "Phantom network". Looks perfectly normal - until I press "Camera" and get the error message as stated in the previous post.

I just can't see how this is a coincidence and NOT an issue with the update? But I'm more than willing to hear your inputs and try out everything.

Attachments

• app.PNG
    app.PNG
    238.3 KB · Views: 548
If there is a problem with the Phantom_xxxx wifi SSID showing up consistently, then that is a problem with the Range extender. If, when you get the SSID to show up, the camera and craft doesn't connect to the range extender, then it could still be a problem with the range extender. You need to turn the range extender on and ONLY the range extender. Connect to it with your iMac when you can and go to http://192.168.1.2. Login with username root and password 19881209. Need to see if settings are missing in the range extender. So take some screen shots of the wifi settings that shows it's configured SSIDs etc...

I get why you're convinced that it is related to the update, but your symptoms point to the range extender. If the Phantom_xxxx SSID was showing up every time you powered it on, then I would say that the update effected the phantom/camera's ability to connect to the range extender. It may be a possibility that you have 2 problems. But the one that has to be addressed first is the range extender and it's ability to power on and consistently broadcast the Phantom_xxxx SSID. Until then, you'll be wasting your time troubleshooting the camera connecting to the range extender too.

You need to turn the range extender on and ONLY the range extender.
When doing that, the "Phantom_xxxx" network does show up on the Wi-Fi list sometimes, but only maybe every after turning it on/off 20-30 times. And then it's just not possible to connect to the network via iMac, so it's not possible to see the settings.

The "System" LED changes from the slow steady flashes (initiating?), to series of multiple (3-4) rapid flashes

I have had zero issue using my Mac Mini (2.3GHz Intel Core i7 w/ 16GB RAM) for any of the DJI applications. I am running iOS7.1.1 on both my iPhone 4S and iPad2, also with zero issues.

Issues is starting to be narrowed down.

Went to my dealer and tried to connect with a new Wi-Fi range extender. Network and connection was perfect, so in some way the range extender was messed up with the latest update.

Second issue though, was that after connecting the Phantom_xxxx network with the iPhone app, the app would not connect with the camera. So apparently the cam was also messed up with this update..!

Dealer will change cam tomorrow and I hope that solves everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I updated 3.04 firmware, on my MacBook Pro (not retina) Lion 10.7.5., but firmware was still showing 3.4 after supposedly updating was confirmed. My iPod app did not work, camera and the wi-fi extender was not recognised or P2V on wi-fi. I could not use camera app or camera from ground. I looked at instruction manual and found on page 16 how to re-bind app. You have to scan the scannable image off the box that came with the Vision. My app on the iPod, wi-fi (Phantom_xxxxx) and camera now work. Not sure how you would go on if you didn't have the scannable image. I tried to do it manually, but it did not work. If you buy a second hand P2V make sure you get the scannable image in case this happens. There are YouTube clips on how to re-bind. I used YouTube (How to rebind / bind new DJI Phantom Vision Camera). Hope this helps.

Seems like DJI really ****** it up for a lot of people with this update.

Not sure how you would go on if you didn't have the scannable image.
You can also find the image underneath your Phantom (with serial etc.)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20