Firmware 3.0 version includes safety updates

I got Screwed i was doing some gimbal adjustment and I reverted form the 7th channel back to the App and mistakenly hooked up to my friends computer who already had V3.0 in it and just as I started to realized i on the wrong laptop my phantom had started the upgrade.. Man I am pissed. Now I have a vision with 3.0 FML!!

There's some discussion on the safety features in a bunch of other threads. I think the consensus among those who've posted about it is that we'd all like a way to turn them off if needed.

Personally, I think that it's a decent idea for some and might even be where the industry is headed. But there are several key things that are missing from DJI's current implementation, which combine to create a solution that's far from adequate (or satisfactory). For example:

- There should be a way to turn the feature off in advanced settings. Some RC groups receive permission from time to time to meet and fly at/near airports. With the current implementation, all those people may as well leave their Phantoms at home because they won't even be able to take off. There are also people (like myself) who take aerial photographs of real estate listings, some of which may be near airports. And then there are others who live in places like New York City where a 50m altitude restriction close to airports simply makes no sense when most buildings are much taller.

- Some common sense should have gone into planning and implementation. There's an entire thread talking about this already (http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11831). Some of the highlights include one poster from Boston mentioning being restricted at lower altitudes off of air traffic's flight path while areas that are directly along flight paths have less of a restriction because it's farther away. Then there are cases like people living in New York City (there's a lot of Manhattan that will be under some sort of restriction), and even Arlington, VA (thinking specifically of the Rosslyn area across the Potomac from D.C. - an area where tall buildings abound). There are also a number of posts regarding tighter restrictions around airports that are less busy (classifying them as Category A) while essentially ignoring airports that are busier (by placing them as Category B or not categorizing them at all).

All of this shows a real lack of understanding of "real world" scenarios on DJI's behalf. It also frustrates its customers. I don't think there's a person anywhere who would argue against implementing features to make air travel safer for everyone. And I don't think there's a person who would argue against having a software mechanism tell (as in "warn") them that they're about to fly into a restricted area or engage in some other stupid behavior.

But many - myself included - take issue with the abysmal implementation that DJI rolled out in the v3.0 firmware. The clear lack of logic, combined with the "hard fist" approach of not allowing for any sort of override mechanism, is not only inappropriate - it's unacceptable. It also has me reconsidering my recent P2V purchase from DJI, as well as many future purchases of more expensive multirotors from them. I'm really thinking about switching over to a 3DR Iris or something similar, which doesn't have these restrictions in place.

rfernandez said:
I got Screwed i was doing some gimbal adjustment and I reverted form the 7th channel back to the App and mistakenly hooked up to my friends computer who already had V3.0 in it and just as I started to realized i on the wrong laptop my phantom had started the upgrade.. Man I am pissed. Now I have a vision with 3.0 FML!!

Some fold seem to have successfully downgraded using v2 or v1.08 installers. Give it a go...

:oops: Nope no dice on that software is downloaded through their server..
All this crap. may just start to shy people away from DJI I am sure my next Quad wont have any DJI components in it. today for example My sister asks me to come the house to shoot video of the roof after a large rain storm last night this is the first thing the app lit up before even allowing the aperture to open showing video feed. Granted she is with in the 5 mile radius for Miami International Airport, but Really!!! some of the restriction of .6 of mile is still inside the fence of this airport how stupid can these people be? If they are going to implement these flight restrictions the they must abide by airspace classification of ICAO not some **** they made up as they went along First of all "Class A" encompass the airspace above but not including 18,000 feet.
What a Cluster fck this is already becoming. :evil:

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 526
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 10.07.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 10.07.27 PM.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_1200.PNG
    IMG_1200.PNG
    180.5 KB · Views: 522
MrDRC said:
grochester said:
Anyone know why there is now an icon for the range extender?

To make you think you're getting something useful out of 3.0
Lol, it is to let you know when the batterys in the extender are getting low.

Wonderful. While I'm trying to see the crappy, grainy, ultra low-res video on my phone where there used to be a good quality image I'll take comfort in knowing my range extender ( that I always keep charged anyway) is getting low. Wake up DJI!

CRankin said:
There's some discussion on the safety features in a bunch of other threads. I think the consensus among those who've posted about it is that we'd all like a way to turn them off if needed.

Personally, I think that it's a decent idea for some and might even be where the industry is headed. But there are several key things that are missing from DJI's current implementation, which combine to create a solution that's far from adequate (or satisfactory). For example:

- There should be a way to turn the feature off in advanced settings. Some RC groups receive permission from time to time to meet and fly at/near airports. With the current implementation, all those people may as well leave their Phantoms at home because they won't even be able to take off. There are also people (like myself) who take aerial photographs of real estate listings, some of which may be near airports. And then there are others who live in places like New York City where a 50m altitude restriction close to airports simply makes no sense when most buildings are much taller.

- Some common sense should have gone into planning and implementation. There's an entire thread talking about this already (http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11831). Some of the highlights include one poster from Boston mentioning being restricted at lower altitudes off of air traffic's flight path while areas that are directly along flight paths have less of a restriction because it's farther away. Then there are cases like people living in New York City (there's a lot of Manhattan that will be under some sort of restriction), and even Arlington, VA (thinking specifically of the Rosslyn area across the Potomac from D.C. - an area where tall buildings abound). There are also a number of posts regarding tighter restrictions around airports that are less busy (classifying them as Category A) while essentially ignoring airports that are busier (by placing them as Category B or not categorizing them at all).

All of this shows a real lack of understanding of "real world" scenarios on DJI's behalf. It also frustrates its customers. I don't think there's a person anywhere who would argue against implementing features to make air travel safer for everyone. And I don't think there's a person who would argue against having a software mechanism tell (as in "warn") them that they're about to fly into a restricted area or engage in some other stupid behavior.

But many - myself included - take issue with the abysmal implementation that DJI rolled out in the v3.0 firmware. The clear lack of logic, combined with the "hard fist" approach of not allowing for any sort of override mechanism, is not only inappropriate - it's unacceptable. It also has me reconsidering my recent P2V purchase from DJI, as well as many future purchases of more expensive multirotors from them. I'm really thinking about switching over to a 3DR Iris or something similar, which doesn't have these restrictions in place.

I'm the one from Boston where I'll only be able to fly only around tree top level even when the park is surrounded by taller buildings.

Someone closer and in the direct path of a very busy runway is allowed to fly higher.

The height difference is because dji has the center of the airport further away from the end of the very active runway then the city park surrounded by taller buildings and restricted to airlines.

Ridiculous!!!

MikeySoft said:
MrDRC said:
grochester said:
Anyone know why there is now an icon for the range extender?

To make you think you're getting something useful out of 3.0
Lol, it is to let you know when the batterys in the extender are getting low.

Sadly it is non functional on the P2V and only works as a battery indicator on the P2V+

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers