Firmware 3.0 & Assistant Software 3.0 ??

Thanks for the video link Fink. At least they dealt with the limitation in a reasonable way. I can live with that as it makes sense. I do find it interesting that they came out with this update so quickly after the last one. Like maybe they were being pressured by higher powers to get tighter control of all Phantoms.

Marconi Union said:
Its there! The mac version at least! Thats a first! And Windows now....

There's a Mac version on the Vision + downloads page.

LuvMyTJ said:
Thanks for the video link Fink. At least they dealt with the limitation in a reasonable way. I can live with that as it makes sense. I do find it interesting that they came out with this update so quickly after the last one. Like maybe they were being pressured by higher powers to get tighter control of all Phantoms.

The rapid fire releases is incredibly shocking. I feel bad for the IT guys that had to do all of the website and file server updates for 2.0, only to then have to go back and do the 3.0 updates.

As I stated in another thread, I have zero motivation to update right now. I was nervous about 2.0 and now after reading about all of the new restrictions they had to build into this latest release, seemingly quickly, I'm extremely nervous as to how well it's going to perform in the real world.

As long as 1.8 and the associated firmware works with the PC Ground Station that I'll be springing for in the next month or two, I don't see myself moving away from 1.8 in the near future.

P.S. - I love that he says it's a back slash in the URL to check the map, instead of a forward slash. In such a rush they either didn't proofread the teleprompters/cards, or they didn't have time to reshoot/edit. :ugeek:

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Ok, here is NEW (7th April) page of flysafe zones including the category A / category B areas. Woohoo my local flying place near a small airport isn't a cat A or B airport and no restrictions, thank god. I found it in the NEW user manual 1.08pdf.

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

As good as safety limits are, this release is going to effectively force a lot of people out of the sky, or to drive out to a field somewhere. (I'll certainly keep one of my P2's at V2.0, just in case)

Not that is a bad thing, mind you. Working in aviation, I'm all for it. The limits actually are quite reasonable, though to do any real kind of flying without hitting anything, you will need to be at least 4 miles out or close to it from a class A zone.

One of the largest Man Made Marinas in the world (1st or second largest depending on what google page you look at) is Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles, Ca. That is now part of the LAX No Fly Zone on DJI's List. I have filmed on and around boats in that Marina. Flight Patterns for LAX are not over or near Marina Del Rey. Additionally, forget about flying around Venice Beach. That is also inside that same 5 mile zone..

This is really disappointing.

ianwood said:
Hey guys, they just put up version 4.0!

Your right! It's in their hidden Black Ops Drone Systems folder. The new Return to Home feature is awesome !!
It sends your Phantom straight back to China.

Oh God! I just turned on my phantom and a voice said "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"... then it shot upwards at 1000 miles per hour and headed east!!! DJI recall???? :lol:

Somehow I think DJI is taking preliminary Precautions to tackle what Gov't crackdowns are sure to come on Civilian RC Copters. Use. Maybe premature but probably logical and responsible on their part.

Still not upgrading to 3.0 though.

Posting this here now that is apparently real. OK. Here's what I think is in that video. First, all flight modes are impacted. Not just Ground Station or GPS! Unplugging the GPS will limit you to 394ft (120m).

Flight limitations system:
  • Prevents Phantom from flying in restricted areas.
  • In effect when there is sufficient GPS signal, mode independent.
  • Cat A = Class B airports, 1.5 mile (2km) no fly zone, 5 mile (8km) safety zone, ceiling imposed at 35ft increasing to 400ft AGL.
  • Cat B = Class C airports, 0.6 mile (1km) no fly zone.
  • 0.6 m (1km) warning zone around restricted areas for Ground Station and Phantom Vision.
  • No Ground Station waypoints within 5 miles (8km) from the center of any restricted area.
  • If GPS position is above ceiling in safety zone, Phantom will descend to maintain ceiling.
  • If GPS position is within no fly zone (e.g. acquiring signal after flying into it):
    • Phantom will auto land.
    • You can still control flight but you cannot climb.
Safety cone:
  • Default of 1,300ft (400m) AGL, and 1 mile (1.6km) lateral distance.
  • User adjustable (can someone confirm these are pretty much unlimited?).
  • Ceiling of 394ft (120m) AGL imposed on flight without GPS signal.

So, xrover, you can fly at Marina del Ray and in Venice. You be under the cone so you will be height restricted but otherwise you should be fine.

ianwood said:
Posting this here now that is apparently real. OK. Here's what I think is in that video. First, all flight modes are impacted. Not just Ground Station or GPS! Unplugging the GPS will limit you to 394ft (120m).

Flight limitations system:
  • Prevents Phantom from flying in restricted areas.
  • In effect when there is sufficient GPS signal, mode independent.
  • Cat A = Class B airports, 1.5 mile (2km) no fly zone, 5 mile (8km) safety zone, ceiling imposed at 35ft increasing to 400ft AGL.
  • Cat B = Class C airports, 0.6 mile (1km) no fly zone.
  • 0.6 m (1km) warning zone around restricted areas for Ground Station and Phantom Vision.
  • No Ground Station waypoints within 5 miles (8km) from the center of any restricted area.
  • If GPS position is above ceiling in safety zone, Phantom will descend to maintain ceiling.
  • If GPS position is within no fly zone (e.g. acquiring signal after flying into it):
    • Phantom will auto land.
    • You can still control flight but you cannot climb.
Safety cone:
  • Default of 1,300ft (400m) AGL, and 1 mile (1.6km) lateral distance.
  • User adjustable (can someone confirm these are pretty much unlimited?).
  • Ceiling of 394ft (120m) AGL imposed on flight without GPS signal.

So, xrover, you can fly at Marina del Ray and in Venice. You be under the cone so you will be height restricted but otherwise you should be fine.

The issue I have is in the 1.5-5mi safety zone, it's actually less safe. Because you have no idea what your height limit is, aside from some vague calculations looking at a map, he could fly at the Marina. But at what height? 35 feet? 100 feet? You really need to know how high you can go so you don't crash into anything. Of course you can just fly up until it stops, but that makes it hard to plan, and yes, hard to get some shots.

I for one wish I could find the 2.0 FW again (which has the H3-3D software but no real flight limits except on the GC). I have it on both of my Phantom 2's, but my newest one (with the 3D modified hole) won't come until tomorrow. I doubt it has the 2.0 FW on it. If I want to use it anywhere near, say Boston, safely and get any decent shots flying over anything like a park, I will need to cut a hole in my current P2s with the V2.0 FW and plop it in there. Which may be what I do.

On the other hand, getting used to the flight limits makes sense, because we all know they are coming eventually via the FAA anyway. So... it's a quandary.

Ok... while I am in principle OK with the restrictions on 3.0, I don't like the slippery slope we are being pushed off on. Now that they have put restricted zones in the code, I just don't trust it anymore.

I am currently on 1.08 and no intention of upgrading, with except to maybe 2.0 to gain GS functionality.
Does anyone know where we can get assist V2 and the V2.0 firmware? I DO NOT want V3.0

As I have been thinking more about this restriction, the more upset i get. If the FAA puts restrictions out on use and locations of our craft, It would come by way as a "Restriction" meaning it is up to us to obey the restriction and if we don't then we pay the price for breaking the law. Just as with automobiles. If we are in a 65mph zone and we are doing 75 then we can be ticketed for breaking the law. Auto manufactures do not put 65mph governors on our vehicles. That's not how we do things in the U.S.!

DJI has every right as a business to control how their products are used, but in America, it is up to the individual to obey the law.

I disagree with this mandatory limitation that DJI is imposing on a "Freedom to use as we like" product that we have already purchased.

It would be like buying a new car or truck and then being told by the manufacturer that the next time we bring it in for service they are going to install a Speed limiter so we can never exceed the speed limit in certain areas.

That thinking is not how things are done here. (Unless you own a gun in California) Then the Gov't can screw you anytime they want.

I am not going to install 3.0 If this is the direction DJI is headed, I think they will loose customers..

I generally agree. This is not a trivial change and one they didn't give us any head's up on. I don't think this will impact me too much as I would never fly in controlled space but my fear is what will go on the list next? It's a slippery slippery slope.

The one thing I will say is that DJI wants you to fly so it's not in their interest to add more areas where you can't. This is going to cause headaches for them. Returns. Calls to support. Why won't my Phantom take off? So this was obviously something they felt they needed to do despite that. Either it was external pressure or they felt they needed to be proactive. They probably fear the FAA like we do. Maybe the FAA will see these restrictions and they'll cool their jets (pun intended) a little. Wishful thinking. I know.

I want to know if all Naza products will have the same restrictions. Or are we the ruffians that can't be trusted? Not entirely an undeserved label considering the videos I've seen!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers