Fireworks Advice

Reaction score
I'm thinking about flying and getting some video of the local fireworks show this July 4th.

I've searched this site for recommendations and advice. I have a Phantom 2 with GoPro 3+. Here are a few things I would like comments/advice on:

1. Shoot at 1080P either 24 or 30fps? Seems to be the best for low light.

2. There was one incident where a phantom crashed near a fireworks display and the owner thought they were using wireless fireworks triggers that may have disrupted the phantom's wireless controls. Pilot admitted he didn't wait for green lights before taking off so I hope that was the real issue. Anyone else have this problem? How common are wireless fireworks triggers?

3. Flying through fireworks seems to be asking for it, but I didn't find any evidence where anyone has crashed after flying through and getting "shot down". I probably won't do that anyway. The fireworks will be close to a crowd and it isn't worth the risk to me. If the fireworks were over water, I might try it . . .

4. Some folks covered the phantom's lights to avoid being a distraction to the fireworks. Is there a way to unplug them or turn them off through the naza controls or is taping over them the best thing?

Any comments and advice welcome.

Tape over the lights with black duck tape, much more temporary than going through the hassle of opening up your bird

I've been thinking of this as well.
There are two things I'm curious about.
I own a DJI vision and I've noticed that the F200 doesn't take the best night shots. I assume the best way to get around this is to shoot at 30 fps.

The other is, how many feet high do professional fireworks displays normally explode at?
If I'm recording I'd like to record up to 200 feet above the works.

Is seems, just from observation, that in my town the fireworks explode at around 600 feet.
Is there anyone here who knows the rules and regulations of the "works"?

Sounds interesting. Yes, tape up the lights but I would use blue painters tape. You may have to use more than one layer but that stuff comes off much better than duct tape.

If one didn't mind putting a couple thousand $$ at risk, and the municipality didn't mind, and the explosion area was not over populated areas, it would be interesting footage to position the P2 just above the anticipated detonation area, with camera pointed down at launch location. Watching shells streaming upward then exploding would be good footage, subject to GoPro's poor low-light performance. I think the chances of a direct hit that would take down the P2 are remote.

Kelly

I filmed some a bit ago with the GoPro set at 2.7k/30fps. As I figured, it still came out pretty dark. The GoPro just doesn't do well in low light.

I used black electrician's tape to cover the LEDs. I ran out, so I used normal duct tape and it wasn't heavy enough and you could see the LED right through it.

Here's a frame grab from 100m up:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403488880.452863.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403488880.452863.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 704
gmbn.inc said:
LMAO... Sorry don't mean to laugh, but this conjures up visions of misjudging the altitude & finding shells exploding all around the Phantom! It'd be awesome footage!

`Zackly!!

Fyi. This reporter needs to get a life and a clue IMO:

Forbes: Video Shows Drone Flying Through Fireworks
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcneal/2014/07/04/video-shows-drone-flying-through-fireworks

Three comments:

1) It's the usual "drones should be illegal" garbage,

2) By embedding the video, Forbes is monetizing the flight and video. As is Google by linking to the Forbes article. That is illegal according to the FAA, and

3) If the pilot flew through the fireworks, he endangered nobody but his own craft as they don't fire fireworks directly over crowds of people and there were no rule violations or safety violations. His argument that what applies on the ground applies in the air is ridiculous as is his argument that the "drone" could have somehow caused fireworks to bounce off the drone down to spectators on the ground and hurt them.

This kind of reporting is just junk IMO.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj