Firemen save my Phantom

Reaction score
Was working in ATTI mode just doing circles in the sky in the park. I wasn't watching the altitude as carefully as I should and I was too low for the tree. Just happened to be a policeman around who happened to have a friend in the local Fire Department. They happened NOT to be too busy and they were worried it might drop on some poor unsuspecting soul's head so they retrieved it. For public safety and for me.

They were wonderful. I was ashamed. They laughed at me saying don't worry about it. But I'm going to buy the firehouse lunch on Monday.

What did I learn? Gotta watch. All the time. And give plenty of clearance. All the time.

Attachments

• 2014-08-17 16.29.46.jpg
    2014-08-17 16.29.46.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 752
What!!! They are human too! How can this be!!!

This is todays version of a cat out of the tree... :p

Great story and glad they didn't charge you for retrieving your bird. Nice place to live. ;)

Wow, this is a great story! :lol:

Where I live, this probably would've made the headlines and would be talked about for a while. :lol:

Looks like this is a modern-day save the cat from a tree thing. :lol:

tumblr_liaq2eIEFn1qdffhg.gif

Where I was flying was a very quiet suburban area. The park is a smallish park, maybe 20 acres. But all the right stars must have aligned - I just couldn't believe it when the firetruck pulled up to help out. It was definitely a quiet Sunday afternoon for them. And just a great group of guys.

But thinking about it - could I really have just walked away and left it there? Suppose it DID fall out of the tree a few days later and hit someone in the head. Wouldn't I be at fault for not letting anyone know? Or suppose it rained and the battery shorted and started a fire in the tree. Wouldn't I have been to blame for at least not notifying someone? I actually told the officer these things and he acknowledged the dilemna. We both agreed that if we weren't going to be able to get it out today that some kind of notification needed to be left near/around the tree until it was taken care of one way or another. And I would have been willing to pay a "fine" for them to come out. It was my fault. Instead, I'm going to be able to get them a meal and make a generous donation to the fire company.

It could have turned out very differently. I am thankful it turned out the way it did.

Very cool of them.

Lunch would be a great way to say thank you and would be most appropriate.

Do not buy them the lunch ! I remember I saw a lot of signs in Yellow Stone National Parks that warn the tourists: Do not feed the wild animal! I was wondering why ? Now I understand the reason. Same to the lunch thing. If everybody does the lunch thing and the firemen get used to it. one day, if you do not buy them lunch, they won't do anything they should do for you anymore!!!

Great story. Buying them lunch is a great idea.

Skyjunkie said:
Where I was flying was a very quiet suburban area. The park is a smallish park, maybe 20 acres. But all the right stars must have aligned - I just couldn't believe it when the firetruck pulled up to help out. It was definitely a quiet Sunday afternoon for them. And just a great group of guys.

But thinking about it - could I really have just walked away and left it there? Suppose it DID fall out of the tree a few days later and hit someone in the head. Wouldn't I be at fault for not letting anyone know? Or suppose it rained and the battery shorted and started a fire in the tree. Wouldn't I have been to blame for at least not notifying someone? I actually told the officer these things and he acknowledged the dilemna. We both agreed that if we weren't going to be able to get it out today that some kind of notification needed to be left near/around the tree until it was taken care of one way or another. And I would have been willing to pay a "fine" for them to come out. It was my fault. Instead, I'm going to be able to get them a meal and make a generous donation to the fire company.

It could have turned out very differently. I am thankful it turned out the way it did.

Yes it could have been a large issue.
Lucky it was resolved this way.
As you were ashamed it proves you have empathy, a rare feature these days.
Have fun @ the firestation, they do a really good job.
Lesson to learn, trees and other structures don't move when things go wrong.

Firefighter here that's awesome and the guys will appreciate any type of thank you we don't get them very often

yali said:
Do not buy them the lunch ! I remember I saw a lot of signs in Yellow Stone National Parks that warn the tourists: Do not feed the wild animal! I was wondering why ? Now I understand the reason. Same to the lunch thing. If everybody does the lunch thing and the firemen get used to it. one day, if you do not buy them lunch, they won't do anything they should do for you anymore!!!

You obvious don't know a firefighter.
It takes a special kind of human to be one.
They risk there life's to aid.
They don't go like " Ow a fire, lets wait till we get some lunch and then save some living beings that are trapped inside ".
Its your way of dealing with issue's, don't generalize it.

ToThePoint said:
yali said:

You obvious don't know a firefighter.
It takes a special kind of human to be one.
They risk there life's to aid.
They don't go like " Ow a fire, lets wait till we get some lunch and then save some living beings that are trapped inside ".
Its your way of dealing with issue's, don't generalize it.

I can't tell if they're both being sarcastic or just yali???

I love a great story with a happy ending.
Buying them lunch would mean a lot them.

One day, when everybody buys lunch as a way of saying thank you for fireman, it will become a standard rule. I know It might take a long time to get there. By then, all you guys might be playing DJI Phantom 64 vision 6000 plus, which will be the newest and most expensive model at some point in the future. And then it gets caught up in a tree. A fire fighter comes by and you ask for help. The firefighter checks the phantom and says, wow, that was an expensive model that must cost a lot of money. How would you thank me if I get it down for you ? you said what about a lunch. I am pretty sure he would say: " no no no. for this model, at least a dinner". That's how you guys are going to bribe a firefighter in the future!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic