FireFLY6 "Worlds's first VTOL plane". LINK INCLUDED

Reaction score
Here is a picture of a RC craft that really appeals to me. The front double rotors can tilt forward and the rear one turns off and less 'juice' is used. Flight times are up to 50 minutes are claimed, when in plane mode. Yet, it can take off vertically and land the same way and fly like a typical drone.

It is capable of carrying a pound of cargo! Two Heros can be carried, one in the nose, looking straight ahead and one looking down. The gears retract

To purchase, click on FirFly6 at the bottom left of the page. But, watch the videos first!

http://www.birdseyeview.aero

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,065
Re: FireFLY6 "Worlds's first VTOL plane"

kitari said:
That actually looks very cool! Maybe I'll be able to talk my wife into letting me get one next month. :lol:

I must say that another write up quoted shorter flight times. I imagine the 50 minutes was without a gimbal and camera and Channing to plane mode immediately. But, I'm interested in plane shots that the Phantom can't do. Such as swooping down or faster forward flight.

BTW, the wingspan is 5 feet. The wings attach via magnets, so they can be easily removed for transport.

Come on folks! Do you find this as cool as I do?

PhantomFanatic said:

Oh yeah... I do. Someone I know is buying one of these and I'm watching this very closely as I plan on experimenting a bit with fixed wing. This is a fixed wing that's right up my alley... Nice stuff... (and thanks for playing fast and loose with my finances... :lol: :lol: :lol: )

-slinger

gunslinger said:
PhantomFanatic said:

Oh yeah... I do. Someone I know is buying one of these and I'm watching this very closely as I plan on experimenting a bit with fixed wing. This is a fixed wing that's right up my alley... Nice stuff... (and thanks for playing fast and loose with my finances... :lol: :lol: :lol: )

-slinger

You are very welcome! I prefer for you to buy what I wish I could buy, so I can get your (free) insight. But, to be fair, you 'made' me buy some of your drones! Gotcha! :)

PhantomFanatic said:
gunslinger said:
PhantomFanatic said:

-slinger

You are very welcome! I prefer for you to buy what I wish I could buy, so I can get your (free) insight. But, to be fair, you 'made' me buy some of your drones! Gotcha! :)

Okay... guilty as charged... :D and I AM looking at this thing. As soon as I come out of NorthEast U.S. enforced hibernation mode.. I'll limber up my VISA... :D

-slinger

That is cool but there'd be more interested if they made a Ready-to-fly out of the box version. I wonder what the final price would be out the door with motors, batteries, controller, etc.

Also, I like the offset nose wheel, like an A10 Warthog.

Clipper707 said:
That is cool but there'd be more interested if they made a Ready-to-fly out of the box version. I wonder what the final price would be out the door with motors, batteries, controller, etc.

When I first looked up the ARF required motors and ESCs. I thought exactly what you thought as if I build any RC device, it will be from the ground up. But, for this, I want RTF. My last look showed a RTF, but it has to be wrong as it is cheaper than the ARF!

EDIT: I love this for many reasons, but one is a presumed maximum load capacity. That would mean that I could carry a night flying load that would be amazzing. Unlike a drone, it would be easy to see the orientation. But. I'll have too add many LEDs!

PhantomFanatic said:
Here is a picture of a RC craft that really appeals to me. The front double rotors can tilt forward and the rear one turns off and less 'juice' is used. Flight times are up to 50 minutes are claimed, when in plane mode. Yet, it can take off vertically and land the same way and fly like a typical drone.

It is equipped for a gimbal and a Hero camera. Someone buy it and evaluate it! My finances won't allow it right now. Slinger, I cast my vote for you to buy it!

What do you think of my find?

Link to a seller please... ;)

Thanks

IflyinWY said:
PhantomFanatic said:

It is equipped for a gimbal and a Hero camera. Someone buy it and evaluate it! My finances won't allow it right now. Slinger, I cast my vote for you to buy it!

What do you think of my find?

Link to a seller please... ;)

Thanks

Caution! Once you look at this site, you will HAVE to buy one! Also, at the left, bottom of the page, under "Products" click on "FireFly6" and that will get you to the buy it page. But, watch the videos first! :)

http://www.birdseyeview.aero

Just a note: Either I missed it the first time or they have added more complete packages. One has a better battery, ECSs and motors. The payload is increased from 1 pound to 2.5 pounds. The perfect drug carrying mule for flying over the border!

I like several things: Longer flight times, higher payload and most of all, it most likely won't be seen as a "drone" by the General public. I also like the idea of sharp banking, higher speeds and being both a plane and a typical drone. One thing that isn't addressed is can it lift off as a typical plane?

It does have wheels instead of solid landing pegs, etc. But. unlike some RC planes I flew, it doesn't have to have a level, long take off runway, which is hard to find. I also would like to do some aerobatic maneuvers that I used to do in full size planes. Mother video would be great if the control board would allow such. Probably not.

The highest cost package is $1700 + but, you need a transmitter and it doesn't come with FPV, which I would have to have. A big investment, but so is a fully decked out Phantom.

Nice find PhantomFanatic. If this thing will handle unpredictable winds... :D it's mine.

It looks pretty cool. I've actually seen some videos of these before. I'm not sure about their claim to be the first VTOL, but anyway this looks like a finished product - and that would be a first.
I sent an email asking if they support gimbal/camera set ups. From what I see, the GoPros are fixed in place.

erikgraham said:
It looks pretty cool. I've actually seen some videos of these before. I'm not sure about their claim to be the first VTOL, but anyway this looks like a finished product - and that would be a first.
I sent an email asking if they support gimbal/camera set ups. From what I see, the GoPros are fixed in place.

From what I've seen and read, the Hero in the nose cone, is fixed at the angle you wish. But, I read that it can handle a gimbal with a Hero, under the body. I don't see how the current landing gears would give the clearance needed. But, I'm sure they will work that out. I'm looking at the souped up model, that takes the payload from 1lb to 2.5lbs. But, the projected flight time, isn't mentioned.

Originally, they advertised flight times up to 50 minutes. I assume this is with no payload and little hover time. But, I think it is super cool! I miss flying planes and I miss the type of video that can be captured with a RC plane. This won't be a good device for commercial photography, but for fun flying an for video greatly differing from quad rotors, it is ideal! (To me!)

How many of you plan to by one of these? I'll go first: ME!

Clipper707 said:

They do. They will build it to your specifications. For a fee, of course. The fully decked out one is $1,700. Naturally, it is what I want! You do have to add your own receiver and transmitter.

I needed to upgrade my transmitter, so I bought a Frsky Taranus 9XD (I think I have that right). I decided to purchase it through this company as for $20 they will program the transmitter for this bird.

By the way, that transmitter is 16 channels, but it can be upgraded to 32 channels. What I would do with 32 channels is something I would have to work on. As for 16 channels, that is doable, with a little room to grow.

Edit: It is a bit hard to find, but look for "builds" on their site and you will see several packages that they will install for you. The super-duper $1,700 version increases payload from 1Lb to 2.5lbs. I've emailed them to see what that does to total flight time. Also, the implication is there is wiring for a 3D gimbal and it is GoPro ready.

It can carry two GoPros, one in the nose and one underneath in the cargo area. Or, your gimbal can mount there. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20