Fire proof your batteries

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Might have to buy a new mixer too....

My 11 yr old Digi Control 24 is such a reliable tank.Years ago I even dropped it out of the bed of my truck at a live gig I was recording.Best $10k I ever spent.

Reactions: JohnnyB
Check my description in the video.All links are there.
I'm not trying to put a damper on this thread, but almost every and all fires in Lithium Ion batteries occur while the battery is in a constrained case. Such as a computer or an phone.
There has not been a single reported case of a Lithium fire battery from a drone that is being charged in an external charge catching fire. Indeed, the design of the drone makes this impossible.

Also, there is not a single reported case of a lithium battery catching fire outside of the device while being externally charged.

So, you thread is nice. However, this appears to be a solution to a non existent problem.

The concern with loose batteries is a metal that touches the contacts causing a current flow. This is impossible with the Drone batteries.

Also, puncture of the casing is a concern, but would be an almost impossible event in a drone battery without complete battery failure.

External Lithium ion batteries in storage, as used in the DJI drones, have not now or ever to have been reported to combust. The described mechanism of combustion appears to be impossible with these batteries short of an purposeful attempt to cause casing damage and initiate a current flow.

If you have information to the contrary, I stand corrected.

Reactions: Spency
I just watched the linked videos in the above video an wow that's scary! I had no idea these batteries were so dangerous and prone to combustion!

Check my description in the video.All links are there.
Being on my phone most of the time while reading this forum, when I open a video on the phone, it's full screen only so I see no description. But I will get on the laptop for this one. Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Again, just an observation.
The fires that occurred in the video occurred when
1.) Someone took a hammer to the battery
2.) An battery that was tested at 5 Volts, indicating either an old or damaged/depleted battery. Also, if the battery tested at 5 Volts after charging, it was clearly damaged.

I am not denying that LiPo batteries can combust and will burn. What I am stating is that I am unaware of any documented case of a modern Phantom 4 battery spontaneously combusting.

Safety is important. I respect and believe anyone flying or transporting these batteries should take every precaution to prevent any fire. However, the Phantom 4 battery has internal firmware and software that monitors for battery problems. Anyone who has flown the Phantom with a bad battery has seen the warning of a damaged battery on the screen. Also, updates to the firmware that are ignored prevent use of the battery.

If anyone has evidence of a phantom 4 battery having a spontaneous combustion in a battery it would be very useful and educational information.

Everything that MGS9500 has posted is correct. Li-Ion batteries combust when placed under pressure or when punctured. People crack uptheir Phantoms all the time and I have never seen a report of a Phantom battery combusting. The batteries that were caused the Samsung Galxy Note 7 recall were defective. Two different vendors made made batteries with flawed electrodes, causing shorts, which caused the flames. Other phones have had combustion problems, but it usually has happened because the phone had flexed in someone's pocket.

The DJI battery design does not lend itself to flexing, but it's one of the reasons I would avoid non-DJI batteries. Some dodgy wiring would it all takes to make it risky. The little Li po batteries that go into $50 drones are the ones more at risk. They can be flexed or damaged with a lot less effort than a DJI battery,

Where those "flame" bags would be useful is when you are flying. It's easier to say that the batteries are in a flameproof bag and have to explain why they are less dangerous than that iPhone crammed into the pocket of the teenager in line in front of you.

Reactions: JohnnyB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers