Fire Fighting effort halted due to drone

Reaction score
In Oceanside CA, brush fire fighting efforts were recently hampered due to a drone sighting. News covered it here:

Search for drone operator who disrupted fire fighting efforts.

This type of stuff only hurts legitimate drone pilots, particularly during disasters when an aerial view may prove to be helpful. It simply goes without having to say it that any responsible drone pilot would not fly in an area where other aircraft were operating and a brush fire with helicopter water drops support certainly fits that scenario. I monitor fire and aircraft radio channels when I fly because there is a trauma center located within 5 mies and they operate a LifeFlight heliport. Any indication of an incoming flight immediately causes me to ground my drone. I do not want any LifeFlight pilot even having to think that there might be a drone operating in the vicinity, that pilot is busy enough. Fire dispatch sends a crew to the landing zone 15 or 20 minutes out of each arriving flight, so I have ample notice of an incoming flight. LifeFlight notifies the area airport (17 miles away) of their operations so I always have two methods of alerts. Redundancy is good for airplanes and pilots. Please do not complicate pilots' missions with drones.

I do agree with you gentlemen. Total knuckleheads. I live in California where fires are everywhere and I operate commercially and stay very aware of my surroundings during operation. Do be aware though that with all this technology, no fireman, police or news reporter has shown actual "footage" of any drone over a fire interrupting air crews. I think we need "evidence" before our whole industry is presumed guilty...you think? I'm sure someone has a phone handy to record it..jus sayin...
Do remember this is the day and age of "regulation by media". If they can get the general public behind them (government), every drone in the country (except for military, police, and fire) will be grounded. Don't fall for the hoopla!!! And then what/who will you complain to when a police drone is outside your window?...The police? Guess what..we just gave them a free pass to "legally" invade our privacy now...jus sayin...

I am in no way bashing our outstanding first responders, and such either. I've served 12 years honorably in the military in aviation, so I do know the "inside" of the machine. Be careful what we ask for guys. The rope will tighten...and won't loosen...ever. (i.e. gun laws, search and seizure, freedom of speech, etc etc etc)

I work in the aviation industry on helicopters to this day, and have yet to be told by one of my fellow pilots or crew members that a drone has hampered their day in any form...yet.

Demand the evidence

I do agree with you gentlemen. Total knuckleheads. I live in California where fires are everywhere and I operate commercially and stay very aware of my surroundings during operation. Do be aware though that with all this technology, no fireman, police or news reporter has shown actual "footage" of any drone over a fire interrupting air crews. I think we need "evidence" before our whole industry is presumed guilty...you think? I'm sure someone has a phone handy to record it..jus sayin...
Do remember this is the day and age of "regulation by media". If they can get the general public behind them (government), every drone in the country (except for military, police, and fire) will be grounded. Don't fall for the hoopla!!! And then what/who will you complain to when a police drone is outside your window?...The police? Guess what..we just gave them a free pass to "legally" invade our privacy now...jus sayin...

I am in no way bashing our outstanding first responders, and such either. I've served 12 years honorably in the military in aviation, so I do know the "inside" of the machine. Be careful what we ask for guys. The rope will tighten...and won't loosen...ever. (i.e. gun laws, search and seizure, freedom of speech, etc etc etc)

I work in the aviation industry on helicopters to this day, and have yet to be told by one of my fellow pilots or crew members that a drone has hampered their day in any form...yet.

Demand the evidence

I personally don't require photo evidence.
If the authorities are going to shut-down life safety operations they have a higher authority to answer to than r/c aviation hobbyists (or even 107 operators).
And if it ever turns out to be a 107 operator I'd bet he/she won't be for sometime afterwards.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20