Finding the cause of jello on video; wind or prop shadow?

Reaction score
I've previously been using my Phantom with a HERO2 with 'Colchester Daz' using his HERO3. Neither of us have experienced jello on our videos of any kind.

Until Sunday when I used my HERO3 in some stronger winds than normal coupled with the camera facing the sun... My theory is that could jello be an effect of sun rays or slight shadow coming through the props onto the camera lens?

I'm wondering this because whilst the Phantom was flying away from the sun no jello was seen. And previously with Daz and using my HERO2 in calmer conditions neither of us have had jello at all.

Additionally I've read that even with the anti-jello plate with rubber mounts between the Phantom and GoPro that some people still experience the jello issue on their footage.

Anyone else think this could be the case or purely coincidence?

Re: Finding the cause of jello on video; wind or prop shadow

Generally what everyone is talking about when they say, "jello", is the problem seen with CMOS camera sensors either filming high-speed objects or when the camera itself is moved quickly (vibration). This is caused by the rolling shutter of CMOS sensors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

You do get annoying shadow patterns on the captured video/photos if the sun is shining through a prop at the front of the GoPro.

Re: Finding the cause of jello on video; wind or prop shadow

pwright said:
Generally what everyone is talking about when they say, "jello", is the problem seen with CMOS camera sensors either filming high-speed objects or when the camera itself is moved quickly (vibration). This is caused by the rolling shutter of CMOS sensors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

You do get annoying shadow patterns on the captured video/photos if the sun is shining through a prop at the front of the GoPro.

That's the perfect answer that explains it. Thanks pwright!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31