Finding flying locations

Reaction score
Am I the only one that really struggles to find local places that are interesting to fly? I seem to of covered all the local beauty (if you can call them that) spots. I spend hours thinking of new places.

I think I need to move to somewhere scenic.:(

Reactions: RayH and robsquad
You probably don't have to move. Expand your travel radius to maybe a one hour drive and use Google Earth to find some new locations to visit in all directions within that radius. You can also experiment photographing at different times of the day and during different seasons. You can also advertise that you are available to take aerial photos of private homes or property -- for fun or profit as you like.

Reactions: ukglyn
You probably don't have to move. Expand your travel radius to maybe a one hour drive and use Google Earth to find some new locations to visit in all directions within that radius. You can also experiment photographing at different times of the day and during different seasons. You can also advertise that you are available to take aerial photos of private homes or property -- for fun or profit as you like.

That's what I have done, I'm now working within a radius of about a 2.5 hour drive away. I think its just a case of sometimes we don't see the attraction in things that we see regularly.

Am I the only one that really struggles to find local places that are interesting to fly? I seem to of covered all the local beauty (if you can call them that) spots. I spend hours thinking of new places.
You live in Britain so whichever direction you travel you've got lots of picturesque coastal scenery,

I can't believe that glyn - especially living in the UK, so scenic and historical. It seems that way anyway looking at your videos and those of others from over there.

I suppose the same can be said for most places - here in Canada/Ontario where I live there are plenty of places to go, but it sometimes means travelling a bit. It seems like a lot as to travel to go flying and filming - especially considering the amount of flying time one can get in even travelling with 3 batteries.

We have to pick our spots and make a day of going somewhere for more than just doing that.

All in all in the end however --- it is just a lot of fun to simply fly the Phantoms - wherever.

Reactions: CaptainDrone798
"I think its just a case of sometimes we don't see the attraction in things that we see regularly." a very valid point Glyn. In my still photography days I was entering international photographic competitions and surprised by receiving acceptances from overseas for images that I had reservations about - until a regular submitter to these competitions said that images that are out of the judge's usual 'catalogue' are the ones that stick in their mind. You live in the heart of England with The Black Country, The Potteries, the canal system, etc. etc on your doorstep - lots of subjects to pick from.

As MapMaker53 says "experiment photographing at different times of the day and during different seasons" it's amazing how the colour of the light can have a dramatic effect on the same subject. Try a theme a month to concentrate the mind - choose a colour and film subjects of that colour so that they stand out in the frame and provide a link between sequences; what about time-lapse videos of the same subject from the same viewpoint at different times of the day; pick a subject and attempt a documentary-style video of the subject; the only thing that is limiting is one's imagination!

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
I had the opportunity to video and photograph historic landmarks and local art murals from the air for a small town this past summer. I had volunteered my time just because I enjoy flying my quad and getting more experience in setting up photos and video runs. The town was thrilled to have me and I got some nice paper and TV coverage, as well as FULL COOPERATION from the local police department via the town council. (They were even willing to stop traffic for a particular video flight if needed.) There may be small towns in the UK that would like their town to be documented just for their own historical records. You might consider offering your services to do so (fee-based or voluntary) for more opportunities to fly.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
There may be small towns in the UK that would like their town to be documented just for their own historical records. You might consider offering your services to do so (fee-based or voluntary) for more opportunities to fly.

MapMaker53 - what a fantastic idea for that anywhere and not just in the UK as I am sure was your intention.

That would be of great interest and experience for anyone who enjoys flying, filming and volunteering their time - and to do so with cooperation from all involved makes it much safer, hence more enjoyable.

Thanks for posting that and continued safe flying and filming.

Reactions: MapMaker53
This is something I struggle with as well. I get excited about flying until I have to figure out where to go. I'm hoping when the weather warms up and I get an extra battery or two, this will open up possibilities. Hard to justify traveling an hour for just 25 minutes of flight time.

Every area has its own uniqueness and scenery. The trouble is viewing it from an outsider's perspective.

Unfortunately, finding places to fly will only get tougher for those of us in more urban areas as more and more municipalities put local restrictions in place in response to public fears. I'm hoping the technology and favorable applications advance fast enough to get past the initial public fear and maybe put some of it to rest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav