"Find My Phantom 2 Vison" in Settings?

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the "Find My Phantom 2 Vision" selection in settings on DJI Phantom iOS app works? I see that it pulls up a map with a pin position. What mechanism does it use? Can it find a downed and out of range Phantom? I suppose it uses GPS for position. Phantom 2 Vision + manual shows it but doesn't explain it. Thanks

As long as you have fpv (WiFi signal) the aircraft will report back its relative GPS position to the home point that was recorded during start up. If you take off and fly before a home point is saved or fly in poor GPS service, this position is not accurate to your location. Or if you loose WiFi signal the "radar" function will display its last position where it received a signal. Hope this helps.

The GPS receiver on the Phantom reports it's location to the app via the wifi connection.
The radar indicator shows that position relative to the recorded home position or relative to your phone's current GPS location.
The last location it reported to the app may not be it's current location.

If the Phantom loses GPS lock, the app will have the last location it reported. It may drift with the wind after that. Even if you still have the WiFi link, the location will not update if it doesn't have GPS lock.
If the app loses the wifi connection, it will have the last location it reported. As long as the Phantom has GPS lock, It should hover in place there and may still respond to control input even if you can't see it. It should eventually return home or land there when the battery is drained.

If you get close enough after a crash or loss to reestablish the wifi connection, soon enough that there is still enough battery power left to keep the Phantom on, and assuming it came to rest where it has a good enough view of the sky to get or keep a GPS lock, you might get an updated location to help you find it.
If not, you'll have to make due with the last reported position and hope you're close enough to find it with your eyes.

Thanks for the replies...... I suspected it was just a map based view of the last know GPS position reported to the iOS app instead of the "Radar" position view presented on the flying page of the app. I think "Find My Phantom Vision" is a little bit of a misnomer as it really can't "Find" the Vision but is only a reference to a position that the Phantom was in at a specific moment, probably while it was airborne and connected to the app. It's final location, even if it landed safely on Failsafe, would be quite another thing.

Actually pearlvalley there are times it does in fact work. I have had an autoland on low battery. The landing was about 1/4 mile away and the Find function was in 50 feet.

Not going to be very good if you have lost wifi for very long though.

Dedicated tracker is the best !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4