'Find My Drone' Reliability? Tracking Alternatives?

srandall25 said:
borgqueenx said:
i find it weird no one replies to my finds and posts in this topic. compared to all the other stuff the functions are perfect for a UAV and its super cheap too.
i guess i need to review it first xd
Your first link is broken. The second link goes to a Russian website (it wasn't translated).
you know how google translate works right xD...

Both links work for me.

borgqueenx said:
srandall25 said:
borgqueenx said:
i find it weird no one replies to my finds and posts in this topic. compared to all the other stuff the functions are perfect for a UAV and its super cheap too.
i guess i need to review it first xd
Your first link is broken. The second link goes to a Russian website (it wasn't translated).
you know how google translate works right xD...

Both links work for me.
just telling you why others might not be responding or even reading it... I tried the first link multiple times and still doesn't work for me.

I'm not trying to be a *** , but don't you guys think 250.00 is a lot ? Yeah I know are quads are expensive , but idk I just think it's to expensive. Gotta be something cheaper.

I got a reply from Trax and at this moment sleep mode can not be disabled. They state I will be able to see the last location on the map which would work for me but I still have some concerns I would like some help with.

Being a total newbie to flying and GPS tracking is there a chance that something that continually transmits a signal could interfere with the signals used by the Phantom?

I have been reading everything I can find on this subject and came across this device, anyone have opinions or experience using this?
http://www.drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UAV-Locator-DM005.htm

Has anyone used the P2V+ "Find my Drone" in the vision App ? I land in different locations and go to Find My Drone in the vision app and it works perfect,, Pin points the location everywhere, even when its in my house. Why a need for a second tracking device?

JWDrone said:
Has anyone used the P2V+ "Find my Drone" in the vision App ? I land in different locations and go to Find My Drone in the vision app and it works perfect,, Pin points the location everywhere, even when its in my house. Why a need for a second tracking device?
Adds a extra layer of reliability.
What if connection is lost and it flies away...
Or what if it gets stolen(and you have the tracker build in on a way the thief doesnt see...
And other stuff that can go wrong.
If things go wrong, you didnt lost 1200 euro.

MikesTooLz said:
I just ordered one of these for $18.99 and I plan to put a T-Mobile simcard in it that will cost me about $10 every 3 months.

Say battery on it lasts 7 days.

http://www.dx.com/p/mini-multi-function ... 2PqN61dVj4
Cancel your order.
Researched into those, and when i finally wanted to buy i found out these dont have a gps.
This will only give the cell tower locations...so around 500meter fix on your drone. Im sure this is not what you want for your phantom.

borgqueenx said:
MikesTooLz said:
I just ordered one of these for $18.99 and I plan to put a T-Mobile simcard in it that will cost me about $10 every 3 months.

Say battery on it lasts 7 days.

http://www.dx.com/p/mini-multi-function ... 2PqN61dVj4
Cancel your order.
Researched into those, and when i finally wanted to buy i found out these dont have a gps.
This will only give the cell tower locations...so around 500meter fix on your drone. Im sure this is not what you want for your phantom.

Nice catch, cant believe I didn't catch that. I canceled the order.

This one would be nice if it didnt weight so much and its waterproof for $49
http://www.dx.com/p/seradigital-lk109-w ... 2P1l61dVj4

Mori55 said:
I'm not trying to be a *** , but don't you guys think 250.00 is a lot ? Yeah I know are quads are expensive , but idk I just think it's to expensive. Gotta be something cheaper.
If you're talking about the Trax, the $250 includes two years of service. Typical service fee on these GPS trackers I've seen is around $5 per month... so that's $120 worth of service. The $200 Drone Mods UAV GPS Locator only includes a one year $60 service. If you want one more year, you're paying $260. There are definitely cheaper options out there. It becomes a matter of what you're willing to accept in terms of what you deem as quality based on people's reviews. As people have mentioned, there are some uncertainties in the cheaper TK-102 tracker option... some success, some not so much... There are mixed reviews on almost everything out there. I'm not advocating the Trax. I haven't used it yet, but I do like what I've seen in the reviews and website so far.

J Dot said:
JoeyD said:
Hello, I'm new and have been reading everything I can while I am waiting delivery of my PV2+ including trying to find a tracking device. I have been meaning to sign up but this prompted me to chime in on this subject. I was about place an order for the Trax and I came across this:

https://traxfamily.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/200349422-Using-Trax-for-my-car-or-bike

I assume this could be a problem once your Phantom stops moving?

Hope the link works.

Also here about 4 lines from the bottom.

https://traxfamily.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/200310982-Tracker-specifications

That seems a bit scary to me, shut off on its own, I don't know about all that, I PERSONALLY would always want it ON, until I turn it off! I would DEFINATELY look more into it, maybe you can shut off sleep mode, the TK-102b, you can! If you can not turn off sleep mode, I PERSONALLY, would find a different model which you can!
What if the tracker goes to sleep, your bird flies away? You would be DONE!
This one scares me a bit! But this is ONLY my opinion, please do what you want, but I would research it a bit more, it might do a lot of stuff you don't know about?

I would hate to see you loose your bird, over an inexpensive tracker!

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

So I received an answer back from Trax on the sleep mode issue:
"It cannot be switched off, however Trax only goes into sleeping mode after 5 minutes without moving at all.
As soon as it starts moving again, it will resume sending its location to you again."

Assuming this device works as advertised, I personally don't need the ability to turn off the sleep mode feature, and in fact, I feel it is much more efficient since it will save battery life and will continue to beacon over a longer time frame, in the event it is somehow moved multiple times. If it awakes on its own based on movement, then I can expect to always have the correct coordinates/location of the Phantom. Based on this, I will not be canceling my order of the Trax and will give it a try. Compared to the others I've seen so far, I still like this one the most... Nothing beats first hand experience, so I will be sure to report back my experience with it once I receive it.

My clone TK102B experience was less than stellar so I have been using the PocketFinder with good results.
Small, iPhone app, etc. http://www.pocketfinder.com

LuvMyTJ said:
My clone TK102B experience was less than stellar so I have been using the PocketFinder with good results.
Small, iPhone app, etc. http://www.pocketfinder.com
Sweet, I updated my original message including this as option #6. The more feedback we get from everyone on all the options the better informed we are in making the right decision for our needs. Would be interested in your experience with it and the accuracy behind it. I did notice the cheapest service fee was close to $13 per month. What service plan are you using or what do you recommend?

In the US it's $!2.95 a month, no contract. My TK102B required a SIM card that was between $8-10 a month depending on length on terms. The TK102B requires knowledge of codes and such to get responses. The PF has smartphone apps and online tracking that is simple to use. Being waterproof was one of my requirements the TK did not satisfy, I also have a GetterBack in case of unplanned water landing.

Ultimately my choice came down to accuracy & cost. The PF has good accuracy and I got it 'new in box used' on ebay. It also came with a few months free. I figured in a year or so either DJI will build it in to stay competitive or the market will have better/cheaper options anyways.

J Dot said:
I use a GLOBAL TRACKER ( TK-102b ) on mine,
I also made a saddle bag for it , cheap $40 insurance policy!

Pics:
3A1B3F46-399C-4B42-B5D6-498A138A857C_zpsshuz0gfr.jpg

DE9DDD7C-58C7-46E7-B7FB-A836D26E5678_zpsbtjaxytq.jpg

))
$40 for the tracker, and $15 for the sim.
( AT&T is best ( crappy VERIZON won't hook it up, because it is not a
" VERIZON " device, bunch of idiots there! )

Take care, Fly safe!

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

Please let me know if I can help further!

Jerry, I pay $10.00 a quarter with T mobile

LuvMyTJ said:
In the US it's $!2.95 a month, no contract. My TK102B required a SIM card that was between $8-10 a month depending on length on terms. The TK102B requires knowledge of codes and such to get responses. The PF has smartphone apps and online tracking that is simple to use. Being waterproof was one of my requirements the TK did not satisfy, I also have a GetterBack in case of unplanned water landing.

Ultimately my choice came down to accuracy & cost. The PF has good accuracy and I got it 'new in box used' on ebay. It also came with a few months free. I figured in a year or so either DJI will build it in to stay competitive or the market will have better/cheaper options anyways.
Also add my tracker. For the money i believe it is the best option.

borgqueenx said:
No problem. Cheapest i found with gps is this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151285326347

But i recommend:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161145659880
Just check other posts in this topic why i think this one is better.
But i ordered both and will test them extensivly.

In addition, i have found that some of those rf-v16 trackers send link to google maps instead of gps123.org now...

How are you getting on with the RF-V16 tracker ?

I had one arrive this week, and for the life of me I cannot get it to be reliable.

When I text dw#
Sometimes it sends back nothing
Sometimes it sends links for google maps
Sometimes links for TrackAnywhere.org
Sometimes links for GPS123.org
Sometimes says GPS: in black with a link that opens in Apple Maps
Sometimes says LBS: in black with a link that opens in Apple Maps

I have tried it with Tracking off, Tracking On, with 5 minute upload

Status LED,s seem to have a mind of their own, I think they go to sleep,
but even after a reboot, they go off again very quickly.

The GPS led, and I guess GPS fix seems not as good as the TK102B I also
have, just liked the small form factor and weight of this unit.

The tracking on seems to work best, but tracking turned off is really hit
or miss of what it is going to do next.

With the TK102B, when I call it, a text is almost immediate for return,
the RF-V16 takes between 15 seconds and 5-10 minutes to get a reply.

Any ideas, I am banging my head with this thing :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl