Finally ordered my P4, Now which tablet/Ipad??

Reaction score
After much debate and a lot of research I've finally decided to pull the trigger on ordering the P4. This is my first Phantom (have flown heli's in the past) so it took a little while deciding whether to go P3 or P4 (to be honest I would have liked to have not read so many negative topics on the P4 but still thought it was the way to go).

As for the topic on hand, I'm still a little undecided and confused on which Ipad/tablet to get.

1.What are the main pros/cons of using a iOS platform VS Android. Is iOS more user friendly? (I'm more of an Android guy for cell phone use)

2.COST is also a factor, as much I would love to get a ipad mini 4 with cellular or pro they seem pretty expensive for a ipad just dedicated for Phantom use.

3.What are the best Android devices to use?

4. SIZE? Having never own a Phantom, what size screen is best suitable for viewing with out giving out too much weight?

5. Do I NEED cellular or GPS (price seems to go way up)? Needed for "follow me" feature and "home"??

Thanks

If you like Android, the Nvidia Shield K1 is a great tablet for the P4.

And yes, you need GPS for a few functions, which the K1 has.

Really, I'll definitely look into it, price looks very reasonable. Can someone who uses it maybe chime in on their thoughts (i'm going to search the forums to see what I can find)

iPad mini 3 recommended by forum help and dji perfect size and powerful

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

1.What are the main pros/cons of using a iOS platform VS Android. Is iOS more user friendly?
If you're planning on using 3rd party apps, then you should review them ahead of time so you know which are available on your preferred OS. Some 3rd party apps are not available on both iOS and Android. As for DJI GO, both apps are very similar. The iOS version seems more polished looking to me, but that doesn't affect the functionality of the app.

3.What are the best Android devices to use?
The Google Nexus 7 (2013) and Nvidia Shield K1 are great devices. I own both and they work well. The Nexus 7 is 100 g lighter than the Shield, so that might be something to consider if having a light device is very important to you. If you want to see what else is available, you can find a list of recommended and commonly used devices here.

4. SIZE? Having never own a Phantom, what size screen is best suitable for viewing with out giving out too much weight?
I prefer a screen size that is close to the size of the iPad Mini.

5. Do I NEED cellular or GPS (price seems to go way up)? Needed for "follow me" feature and "home"?
The Follow Me feature probably ends up being a novelty for most people. It's fun to try, but it's not very practical in most situations. Being able to reset the home point to your location after takeoff is only useful if you plan on moving away from the original home point (e.g. you're flying from a moving boat). If you end up purchasing a device that does not have GPS, you could always add GPS later with an external bluetooth GPS receiver (like one of these).

I have been using the Samsung TabS2 8.0 with no problems. This tablet has an SD card which is nice. It does not over heat, it is fast, very thin, and most importantly looks great! The screen is really bright and I have no problems seeing it in full sun. Ok, that's my two cents...

Reactions: snabie
I guess that would be my next questions?
1.Min processor speed for smooth viewing? Wouldn't the nexus 7 be slow/dated?
2. Brightness?
1. Some people report that the Nexus 7 has greater lag than Nvidia, butno one has posted accurate measurements. As a reference platform for Android, Nexus tablets and phones have the earliest and best version of the OSs. Many people report that the Shield compass was broken by Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and has still not been fixed.
2. The Nexus 7 has one of the brightest displays, especially compared to Nvidia which is just average, but you'll want a sunshade for either tablet.

I use an iPad Mini 4 and it is pretty awesome. I don't have any experience with others but I am happy with it.

Don't get an Ipad 3 mini - its the same as an Ipad 2 mini (same CPU, screen, battery) only thing different is the thumbprint sensor and cost!.... save your money and get the ipad 2 mini.

Really there is only 2 options.

If you want the best bang for buck, size, and best performance for price, the ipad 2 mini is where it is at, but be warned the screen is hard to see in direct sunlight - so you will need an ipad shade from DJI.

If you want the best size, performance and a bright screen, the ipad 4 mini is the right choice. (of course its a bit more cost but the screen makes it worth it - I don't need a shade in sunlight)

I upgraded from an Ipad 2 mini - I recently found a second hand near new ipad 4 mini with celluar for $200 less so check ebay or local trading forums to pick up a second hand ipad 4 mini.

The ipad 2 mini is great, but the screen is not as bright as the mini 4 either will be great for flying!

Last edited:
Reactions: yannicksjh
Ipad Mini 4 - non cellular - just Personal Hotspot to your iPhone if you need it or cache the maps before you start.

If you're planning on using 3rd party apps, then you should review them ahead of time so you know which are available on your preferred OS. Some 3rd party apps are not available on both iOS and Android. As for DJI GO, both apps are very similar. The iOS version seems more polished looking to me, but that doesn't affect the functionality of the app.

The Google Nexus 7 (2013) and Nvidia Shield K1 are great devices. I own both and they work well. The Nexus 7 is 100 g lighter than the Shield, so that might be something to consider if having a light device is very important to you. If you want to see what else is available, you can find a list of recommended and commonly used devices here.

I prefer a screen size that is close to the size of the iPad Mini.

The Follow Me feature probably ends up being a novelty for most people. It's fun to try, but it's not very practical in most situations. Being able to reset the home point to your location after takeoff is only useful if you plan on moving away from the original home point (e.g. you're flying from a moving boat). If you end up purchasing a device that does not have GPS, you could always add GPS later with an external bluetooth GPS receiver (like one of these).

I prefer iPad Mini 4 WiFi model. As msinger said, if you want to use the follow me or update home location then you want the one with a GPS module (UNLESS you have an iPhone you can tether it to, the only exception which will allow you to use those features without a GPS module).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers