Finally, I took my Phantom apart, did you notice a problem?

Reaction score
I had been avoiding taking apart my V2, non- vision, with Z 3D gimbal and a Hero 3, Black. So, I took it apart to see if there was enough room for a small strobe on top. No!

What surprised me was the outer Phillip head screws. I got the other 3, using the tool supplied. The outer arm screw is a small Phillips. Using the Phillips provided, I was disappointed as it felt like the screws were being reamed out. Not good. So, I used a screwdriver on hand and it was better.

Then I saw a Phillips head screw driver from another UAV. I had all four screws out right away!

Did any of you experience this? I say DJI supplied the wrong screwdriver. At least, for mine. What about your?

Also, I had heard of copper or aluminum tape being used and receiving more satellites. I have what is needed, but the flexible, sticky pad, is copper filled. I would like to hear from anyone who can prove that their mod helped.

Your input is appreciated!

Re: Finally, I took my Phantom apart, did you notice a probl

PhantomFanatic said:
What surprised me was the outer Phillip head screws. I got the other 3, using the tool supplied. The outer arm screw is a small Phillips.
You need a 00 Phillips screwdriver to remove those screws. This one works well for me:

PhantomFanatic said:
I had heard of copper or aluminum tape being used and receiving more satellites
Here's a complete tutorial -- along with the supplies you need to do this mod:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31054

Last edited:

I use the same exact screwdriver as msinger and it works marvelously.

Not sure what size I've been using, but the little philips I have in my electronics kit works perfectly. I don't even think mine came with a screwdriver or any tools. :(

Same here. I use a jeweler's screwdriver with a Phillips tip and it works great. No fear of wallowing out the head. I too didn't receive any kind of tools, just screws.

Yes the one they sent with the Phantom was junk.

You can get a precision screwdriver set for 99 cents in the US at 99 cent only stores. It works perfectly. This set was designed for cell phone and small electronics.
After searching other local stores willing to pay whatever I was surprised to find the perfect set for about a dollar. I also used this set to modify a parrot quad way back.
2v8kb54.jpg

msinger said:
You need a 00 Phillips screwdriver to remove those screws.
Interesting. Mine is printed with "3 mm"
Is that the same size as a 00 Phillips?
Mine fits great.

3mm and 00 are not the same. Perhaps close enough though?

Also a quick note. Make sure you take out those screw first before you take out any of the allen screws. If you take out the allen screws the casing starts to separate and puts a lot of excess pressure on those screws. I have always done the end screws first and have never had a problem, even with the DJI screw driver.

dptcalvin said:
I use the same exact screwdriver as msinger and it works marvelously.

That is great and I found my match, but DJI's TOOL KIT should include, at the very minimum, tools, to open the shell. I would email them if I thought it would do any good. What if I traveled far away and because of an emergency, I had to open my shell?

Either I ream out the Phillips or I find a Walmart, etc. Should I have to do that? This other UAV cost $60, but it's kit surpassed the Phantom's. That is unacceptable.

Apparently the consensus is that most everyone experienced the same problem as I? Why has DJI not fixed this? This is my third Phantom.

Will this be an indicator of their ongoing support, even for an Inspire 1? I will be looking for a company that has the sense to hire employees, when they can't perform customer service. I've been there and our corporation maintained a five star customer rating or very close to that.

That is part of the problem as I expect the customer support that we provided and will again, when we get things rolling again. Am I wrong to expect the proper tools?

msinger said:
PhantomFanatic said:
What surprised me was the outer Phillip head screws. I got the other 3, using the tool supplied. The outer arm screw is a small Phillips.
You need a 00 Phillips screwdriver to remove those screws. This one works well for me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O ... M3CHR63OQQ

PhantomFanatic said:

Thank you both very much. I will buy the screwdriver. But, what I wanted was a reason for doing the modification. I did pull upd their 'tape' and it looked sufficient as it cover every inch plus some of the GPS receiver. If the copper webbing allows some signals through, putting say a solid sheet of copper over it, helps it how?

It might reflect the signal back up but it has a copper shield above it! When I've read about this mod. I heard of it receiving more satellites. How? The GPS receiver only has plastic between it and the satellites. Since it already has shielding, adding more will only help block those signals from coming through. I can't see how it could help, unless you totally tpremove the original awhile ding and replaced it with a solid sheet of copper.

knuckles said:
You can get a precision screwdriver set for 99 cents in the US at 99 cent only stores. It works perfectly. This set was designed for cell phone and small electronics.
After searching other local stores willing to pay whatever I was surprised to find the perfect set for about a dollar. I also used this set to modify a parrot quad way back.
2v8kb54.jpg

Thanks for that tip to! I'm going to buy this one and the anmazon screwdriver as I'm a tool nut. Back at my house, I have a fully equipped garage, with a workbench. My man cage was partially done, when health caused me to move here.

Heck, I will buy several cases of these and sell them on my sites. No tax paid, so I can sell them cheaply!

I'll give you a discount!! Thanks!

PhantomFanatic said:
msinger said:
PhantomFanatic said:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O ... M3CHR63OQQ

PhantomFanatic said:

Thank you both very much. I will buy the screwdriver. But, what I wanted was a reason for doing the modification. I did pull upd their 'tape' and it looked sufficient as it cover every inch plus some of the GPS receiver. If the copper webbing allows some signals through, putting say a solid sheet of copper over it, helps it how?

It might reflect the signal back up but it has a copper shield above it! When I've read about this mod. I heard of it receiving more satellites. How? The GPS receiver only has plastic between it and the satellites. Since it already has shielding, adding more will only help block those signals from coming through. I can't see how it could help, unless you totally tpremove the original awhile ding and replaced it with a solid sheet of copper.

The shield is to stop interference from the electronics in the phantom affecting the gps which is in the top. So the shield is under the gps, not on top. Adding a larger shield to the one already there and tucking the cable under it just adds to the shielding.

First time I took mine apart the tip of my cheap screwdriver broke off inside he screw. 2 hours and a dremel later got it out. Use a good screwdriver.?.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31