Finally, I stopped worrying

Reaction score
After flying my P2V+ for close to 2 months without incident (that wasn't my fault), I'm finally no longer worried about losing it. This is a big step as in the beginning I would always think, am I going to lose my bird today for no fault of my own. I would be afraid to fly over water, no longer. I guess I was blessed with a good one. Not to say I don't mess up occasionally. I was in Boston yesterday and in this beautiful park. I was amazing everyone around me with my new found flying abilities. Then I let it do a RTH with no hands on the remote. It touched down on the dirt surface bounced a couple of times right into a baby carriage and went up on its side trying to climb up the carriage (baby was in mom's arms). Fortunately I was able to shut it off and only lost 1 prop and a lot of dignity. My new #1 rule-Don't show off! So I have stopped worrying and enjoy it a lot more now. Flying in NAZA mode is a lot more fun.
Lesson 2- Either you are flying LOS or FPV. After somewhere between 500-1,000 feet if you look down at the screen, you will not find it when you look up again. I guess past 1,000 ft it doesn't matter because you will be flying FPV. I'm happy that when you lose video at around 2,600 ft the radar icon still works, so at least you know which way it is pointed. Everywhere I travel now I am always thinking, how would this look on a video. Watching some helicopter shots on tv last night I said, I could do that shot. I wonder if a small time film maker would hire me to do some overhead shots that used to be done by helicopter for thousands of dollars. Hell, I do it for free if my name was in the credits on the big screen.

Hovtech said:
After flying my P2V+ for close to 2 months without incident (that wasn't my fault), I'm finally no longer worried about losing it. This is a big step as in the beginning I would always think, am I going to lose my bird today for no fault of my own. I would be afraid to fly over water, no longer. I guess I was blessed with a good one. Not to say I don't mess up occasionally. I was in Boston yesterday and in this beautiful park. I was amazing everyone around me with my new found flying abilities. Then I let it do a RTH with no hands on the remote. It touched down on the dirt surface bounced a couple of times right into a baby carriage and went up on its side trying to climb up the carriage (baby was in mom's arms). Fortunately I was able to shut it off and only lost 1 prop and a lot of dignity. My new #1 rule-Don't show off! So I have stopped worrying and enjoy it a lot more now. Flying in NAZA mode is a lot more fun.
Lesson 2- Either you are flying LOS or FPV. After somewhere between 500-1,000 feet if you look down at the screen, you will not find it when you look up again. I guess past 1,000 ft it doesn't matter because you will be flying FPV. I'm happy that when you lose video at around 2,600 ft the radar icon still works, so at least you know which way it is pointed. Everywhere I travel now I am always thinking, how would this look on a video. Watching some helicopter shots on tv last night I said, I could do that shot. I wonder if a small time film maker would hire me to do some overhead shots that used to be done by helicopter for thousands of dollars. Hell, I do it for free if my name was in the credits on the big screen.

You were not blessed with a good one my friend, you are just competent.
You are able to read, reason, and problem-solve at a level that does not make this incredibly simple craft, incredibly difficult.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj