Finally getting confident with the Phantom

Reaction score
Quick edit of footage shot with my Phantom (v1 Zen Muse H3 2D) along with some other shots from my DSLR on tripod. Was very windy so kept it in GPS mode as I don't have much experience in ATTI.

http://vimeo.com/81723733 ---- sorry, this video is unavailable as I have re-edited it. Here is the new cut. My apologies, it's a bit long (approx. 7 min)

http://vimeo.com/82597616

ericty said:
Quick edit of footage shot with my Phantom (v1 Zen Muse H3 2D) along with some other shots from my DSLR on tripod. Was very windy so kept it in GPS mode as I don't have much experience in ATTI.

http://vimeo.com/81723733

That is a great example of how to incorporate flying camera video in a video. Not 100% aerial footage, AND some sweet bonus on-bike cam footage.

GREAT Work! Sets an example for others ;)

"Quick Edit" LOL It would have taken me hours to put that out. Nice job and good footage. I assume a gopro black. What settings on the gopro and what editing software do you use?

coloradosky said:
That is a great example of how to incorporate flying camera video in a video. Not 100% aerial footage, AND some sweet bonus on-bike cam footage. GREAT Work! Sets an example for others ;)

Thank you coloradosky! Yup, had three sources of footage going so had some choices to make during the edit :)

DiscoDrew said:
Nice vid! For 'finally getting confident", I'd say it doesn't show! Nice angles & great mix of perspective!

Thank you Drew! It was super windy that day, and the day before...I had a 'flyaway' (which my flight partner was able to recover after 45 min. of frantic searching). I was definitely a bit nervous in the air.

Sidewinder said:
"Quick Edit" LOL It would have taken me hours to put that out. Nice job and good footage. I assume a gopro black. What settings on the gopro and what editing software do you use?

Hey Sidewinder - Thank you! LOL, yeah. actually a quick edit to me is about 4 hours, but half that time is spent reviewing footage. Yes, GoPro Black. Shot it in 1080p/60fps. Used Final Cut Pro X to edit.

Ton4 said:
Nice Video!

Oh, on your "flyaway", what happened??

Hi Ton - Thanks for the compliment. Regarding the 'flyaway' - after thinking about it a bit more, it may not have been a flyaway after all. My flight partner was at the controls (he's even more inexperienced than I am) and got disoriented somehow in FPV. When he couldn't figure out where exactly he was I put it in 'home lock' and told him to pull the stick back. We both assumed that we would see the craft on FPV screen coming back towards us but it was going away. So we thought it was drifting. We panicked and shut off the radio and waited for it to come back home. It never did. Our thinking is that it did not return home because the battery was nearly depleted so it decided to land. Luckily for my partner, his wife (her neighborhood) kind of figured out where it could be based on how he described the overhead visual on the FPV display. Took 45 minutes, but the Phantom was found, basically unharmed. Very lucky!!!

Of The Opera said:
Fun video. One suggestion and one question.

Suggestion: Shoot in Protune with the white balance set to CAMRAW. The sky will look much better, you'll have much better control of your footage in post, and the video quality will be better.

Question: Why the heck are these folks rocking their race numbers while out tootling around?

Okay. I've only ever shot in 1080p but I'll give it a try.

I'm the race director for a local off-road triathlon so I gave them some bike numbers to simulate the race for a promo spot I'm trying to put together.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik