Finally did it..

Reaction score
Well.. been lurking in these forum for three months.. I'm a 'noob' as many of you put it.. Been flying other RC, but this will be my first quad.. had my heart set on a P3A at first.. and then the price dropped on the P3P.. was going to pick one of those up. Saw the Best Buy Ad on Sunday and was ready to go on Monday to pick it up for $999 with a free battery. Decided on Monday, why not wait until the announcement just to see what we were looking at. Initially heard the rumors of $1700, at which point I probably would own a P3P at this point... when I heard $1400, I pulled the trigger on the P4.

I can't wait for this thing to get here.

Thank you to all who participate in these forums. It's educated me quite a bit before even ordering. Yes, I will read the manual from cover to cover and make sure I use the simulator before I take it out for the first time.

I see a lot of comments here that they don't think the P4 is worth the upgrade. I guess my question is, if you had nothing invested (no P3), would you buy the P4 or a P3? I think I made the right decision.

If I hadn't bought a P3 4 months ago I would definitely go for the P4 now if I was in the market for a drone

Having said that I LOVE the P3 and it still has loads of fun and life left in it for sure, so I don't feel cheated in any way.

Congrats on your new purchase! And, welcome to Phantom Pilots :)

Reactions: PHANTOMUSER
Congrats on your new purchase! And, welcome to Phantom Pilots :)
Congrats roadblock.
I've ordered mine today; the difference in cost is minimal when compared to the extra features (IMO). I bought the P2V+ a little over a year ago, and it is a great machine (although now obsolete but still very productive).
This a cutting edge tech so there will be issues and I am expecting firmware updates etc. Lots of doom-mongers out there which is a shame 'cos I think this is great evolution of the product; nothing is perfect.
I recently got my CAA PFAW in the UK and I will be looking to use the P4 extensively as it has small profile, lots of safety features and a great camera.
Good luck and enjoy :)

I am in the same boat as you were, I was first set on the P3A then P3P for sure and really wanted to wait and see if the upgrade is worth it and I think it is. I'm leaning towards getting a P4 but it seems as though a lot of people in my country are now selling their old P3P and I am on a bit of a budget because I'm getting married soon...

So possibly if I can get a P3P for cheap otherwise it's going to be a brand new P4 and a box of noodles...

Well.. been lurking in these forum for three months.. I'm a 'noob' as many of you put it.. Been flying other RC, but this will be my first quad.. had my heart set on a P3A at first.. and then the price dropped on the P3P.. was going to pick one of those up. Saw the Best Buy Ad on Sunday and was ready to go on Monday to pick it up for $999 with a free battery. Decided on Monday, why not wait until the announcement just to see what we were looking at. Initially heard the rumors of $1700, at which point I probably would own a P3P at this point... when I heard $1400, I pulled the trigger on the P4.

Thank you to all who participate in these forums. It's educated me quite a bit before even ordering. Yes, I will read the manual from cover to cover and make sure I use the simulator before I take it out for the first time.

I see a lot of comments here that they don't think the P4 is worth the upgrade. I guess my question is, if you had nothing invested (no P3), would you buy the P4 or a P3? I think I made the right decision.
In my opinion the P4 is not worth the upgrade from users who own a P3A or a P3P. But if this is your first quad you should absolutely love it. It looks awesome! I hope you enjoy it.

Sorry but I feel that a lot of the comments sounds like sour grapes on the PH4, I have a P2 vision, 2 working P3Ps and an Inspire 1.
I ordered a P4 yesterday and if it lives up to the claims by DJI it makes the others obsolete except for the Inspire 1. No other way to look at it, Yes it may not be worth the upgrade for some people. But it seem the P3 owners are trying to down it.
It will allow you to make your own video and keep track you, what ever you are doing.
I can think of all types of way that the P4 can be used that I wouldn't do with my P3s. or the Inspire.

Last edited:
I congratulate anyone for buying a new drone, even if it was a P2V+.
As long as you are enjoying your time above, who cares? Haha

Admittedly I do Love this trouble free Phantom 3 Pro, and I won't wish to upgrade anything else @dji for some time to come. Really I have my RC plate well stacked already. Let me devour some of this tasty ~ delicious helping first. ;-)
But will always continue to admire, even while looking to near distant future models.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Jussaguy

First off, glad you joined the conversation.

Lurking is a good way to learn without engaging and trusting others without any challenge.

Next, you made the right decision. For a few hundred dollars more, unless you are starting to put food on your child's dinner plate is worth it for about a bunch of reasons.

And about "I'm a 'noob' as many of you put it.'", anyone that used the word "noob" usually is a loser who hasn't seen a girl naked in their whole life. I mean live of course. Noob is a negative term to use assigns people that are trying to learn the hobby or photography. I can't stand that term, but yeah, there are a few who love that word around here. I especially don't like the ones that call themselves experts and others "noobs" because they have been at it a year while the "noob" haw been at it 6 months or even worse, 20 years. Ok, enough about that.

Congrats! You made the right choice!!!

You will be set for a long time. Put it this way, many people are pissed that they JUST bought the P3P that didn't know about it and I was at Best Buy the other day and the Geek Squad was full of returned P3Ps. One of mine being one of them but I literally didn't open up the box because I already have one and I needed another P3 like bird in my fleet but I wanted to make sure that after the announcement, i would be happy and much like you, I was quite chuffed to see the real price and the integrated avoidance and TWO FRIGGEN IMUs and Compasses for redundancy.

WELL DONE!

I congratulate anyone for buying a new drone, even if it was a P2V+.
As long as you are enjoying your time above, who cares? Haha

Admittedly I do Love this trouble free Phantom 3 Pro, and I won't wish to upgrade anything else @dji for some time to come. Really I have my RC plate well stacked already. Let me devour some of this tasty ~ delicious helping first. ;-)
But will always continue to admire, even while looking to near distant future models.

RedHotPoker

Too true. It will be hard to find a space where I am not going to be thinking about where I will spend my money next but I have Spring/Summer concert events coming up and I need good choppers for lots of reasons,

Good call.

Reactions: Flytodd's
I'd have waited and bought the P4. I just got my P3P three weeks ago, didn't hear about the P4 announcement coming. It sounds like it's got some great steps forward. But still, I'm very happy with my P3P. I'll probably hang for awhile and move up to the Inspire when they get all the bugs out of it.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Sorry but I feel that a lot of the comments sounds like sour grapes on the PH4, I have a P2 vision, 2 working P3Ps and an Inspire 1.
I ordered a P4 yesterday and if it lives up to the claims by DJI it makes the others obsolete except for the Inspire 1. No other way to look at it, Yes it may not be worth the upgrade for some people. But it seem the P3 owners are trying to down it.
It will allow you to make your own video and keep track you, what ever you are doing.
I can think of all types of way that the P4 can be used that I wouldn't do with my P3s. or the Inspire.

I do have a problem. My problem is that when someone is wrong about something, it's almost a compulsion to correct it, even if the whole world will disagree with me and they will here but it's not wrong. To make it easy I am just going to quote the late, great George Carlin.

I do believe to a certain extent that you are right. Obviously if it was free, everyone would be talking about why it's going to be better and awesome. Everyone. Some can't afford to buy a new $1300 item every year so I can see why some would be angry but if we can use a computer analogy. During the early computer wars, there were computers by Apple, HP, Dell, Compaq, IBM, all the usual players until the playing field just leveled out and nobody was going to do anything so amazing over someone else. We are still in the infancy of an emerging market that will truly change the world in ways you have not even thought of yet (yes you, even the one that thinks they have).

But on to what was wrong. Sour grapes DOES NOT mean JEALOUS. Here is what it means: Don't worry, every one does and will continue to use it wrong. The reason there is no room for discussion heroes that it is documented in the literature.'

The phrase sour grapes does not refer to jealousy or envy. Nor is it related to being a sore loser. It deals with the rationalization of failure to attain a desired end. In the original fable by Aesop, "The Fox and the Grapes," when the fox realizes he cannot leap high enough to reach the grapes, he rationalizes that even if he had gotten them, they would probably have been sour anyway. Rationalization, that's all sour grapes means. It doesn't mean deal with jealousy or sore losing. Yeah, I know you say, "Well many people are using it that way, so the meaning is changing." And I say, "Well many people are really fuckin' stupid too, shall we just adopt all their standards?"

I am not saying that to argue. I AGREE with you. Please just let my OCD go and don't even respond to the sour grapes thing but feel free to let the world know, It's jealousy, not sour grapes. Sour grapes would be, I keep trying to save up enough money to buy an Inspire Pro but by the time I have enough money it will be a useless item. And some guy says, "awww, that's sour grapes".

Speaking of the Inspire Pro vs P3. I prefer my P3 a lot more than the Inspire. I find the Inspire clunky and I hate the rotating camera. I don't use it. I still rotate the bird. Much better looking pan. The Inspire is the best looking bird on the market. I'll give it that. Next to the custom Star Wars ones anyway.

Pretty sure by the way that the P3P has the X3 in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think anyone is trying to down it. I already have a 3 there is not enough difference in the two to make me go get it..

Which Drone to Start With
I have no experience flying a drone. I want to buy a P4.

Can someone suggest a low cost drone so I can learn to fly. The other option is to buy the P4.

What is my best option.

Thank you everyone in the pilot forum very very educational!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Which Drone to Start With
I have no experience flying a drone. I want to buy a P4.

Can someone suggest a low cost drone so I can learn to fly. The other option is to buy the P4.

What is my best option.

Thank you everyone in the pilot forum very very educational!

SYMA X5SC. The one with FPV is the Syma X5SW, get the SC.

It doesn't have FPV. You can pay another $20-30 if you want to but this thing is indisutrucable and if you want, if you get it, I'll talk you though each step until you own flying that thing.

It's an amazing bird for the price.

And when you get your P4, you'll be like "AAHHHHHHH".

Here it is for like $48.

http://www.amazon.com/Explorers-Cha...UTF8&qid=1457078842&sr=8-3&keywords=syma+x5sC

It's actually the Syma X5SC, the W is the FPV one and it's only like $10 more but trust me, it's pure rubbish. Get this one.

You will thank me later.

Get yourself an extra pair of props too.

Also, leave the GUARDS on and stay away from trees during wind. It doesn't do great going forward in the wind. A little lesson on how the birds work, it doesn't do bad because of power, it does bad because the flight board isn't programmed well on how to tilt when facing face front in wind. I just turn it around and fly backwards in that case which is rare. You can easily fly it in the house too.

It's so much fun. In all honesty, I still fly it just for fun.

I even soldered a motor on it once after it got stuck in a tree.

I let it go as high as it goes until it falls and then pick it back up when reception comes back. I've had it not come back and it survived crashes from a couple hundred feet up.

It's so light and amazing.

It's possible that the XC8 by Syma might not have that wind issue with the flight board but I can only suggest what I've had.

Sounds like we're getting another competent & safety oriented pilot to the skies. Awesome. Good choice on your new bird. Just wait for a calm day without wind and find a huge park without obstacles for your maiden flight.

Enjoy!

I don't think anyone is trying to down it. I already have a 3 there is not enough difference in the two to make me go get it..
SYMA X5SC. The one with FPV is the Syma X5SW, get the SC.

It doesn't have FPV. You can pay another $20-30 if you want to but this thing is indisutrucable and if you want, if you get it, I'll talk you though each step until you own flying that thing.

It's an amazing bird for the price.

And when you get your P4, you'll be like "AAHHHHHHH".

Here it is for like $48.

Amazon.com: Syma X5SC Explorers 2 -2.4G 4 Channel 6-Axis Gyro RC Headless Quadcopter With HD Camera (X5SC White): Camera & Photo

It's actually the Syma X5SC, the W is the FPV one and it's only like $10 more but trust me, it's pure rubbish. Get this one.

You will thank me later.

Get yourself an extra pair of props too.

Also, leave the GUARDS on and stay away from trees during wind. It doesn't do great going forward in the wind. A little lesson on how the birds work, it doesn't do bad because of power, it does bad because the flight board isn't programmed well on how to tilt when facing face front in wind. I just turn it around and fly backwards in that case which is rare. You can easily fly it in the house too.

It's so much fun. In all honesty, I still fly it just for fun.

I even soldered a motor on it once after it got stuck in a tree.

I let it go as high as it goes until it falls and then pick it back up when reception comes back. I've had it not come back and it survived crashes from a couple hundred feet up.

It's so light and amazing.

It's possible that the XC8 by Syma might not have that wind issue with the flight board but I can only suggest what I've had.
Isn't the x5c better? I had two x5s and sold both and kept my x5c

I am on a bit of a budget because I'm getting married soon...

I'm on a budget because I'm already married :p In all seriousness though my wife is pushing me to get the P4 because she thinks I'll regret not getting it over the P3P! I'm so torn!!!

Josh,

I'm in the same boat, well, except the wife is not necessarily on board with either. Ha.

Anyway, I have been back and forth all week and like the OP have been lurking the boards and have learned a lot.

I still think I might buy the P3P due to not using it for any type of business, just a hobby for the weekends. I see the value in the P4 but think that for me, the P3P is plenty good enough and I can get a battery and case and still spend the same or less than getting the P4.

Then again, I see some really cool things that could be done with the tracking function and object avoidance seems pretty darn cool too for a first quad.

Oh the decisions.....

I still think I might buy the P3P due to not using it for any type of business, just a hobby for the weekends. I see the value in the P4 but think that for me, the P3P is plenty good enough and I can get a battery and case and still spend the same or less than getting the P4.
Welcome to the forum dude!

If you do go the P3P route, this is the best deal I've seen.. from Best Buy.. DJI Phantom 3 Professional Flying Camera and Intelligent Flight Lithium-Polymer Battery. Wow. P3P for $999 plus a spare battery. Everyone else is charging $1079 for that.

I was hours away from pushing the button on this deal today when a conversation with my wife pushed me back on the fence... She doesn't want me to regret having the nifty new features and longer flight times etc, when it's only a few hundred more bucks. (And she doesn't want me trying to get a new one a year from now hehe) It's a good point. My wife is so wise. Get the latest now, and stay happier longer.

I dunno.

Josh

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj