Finally Cracked Open the Boxes

Its a general theory in electronics that all assembly defects come out in few months of real use and if an equipment works during that period, it should continue to work for long according to the design.

There is another general theory in electronics that states the more stress/demand on electronics the more likely they are to fail, a crash usually breaks something and wear and tear over time causes them to fail.

The _ability_ to replace only one part can never be a con, it's only a pro. So regardless, having the ability to replace only the ESC's is only a good thing.

I like the old motors myself they seem to be a little better built and the effenciency aside I'd be happy with the old motors. The new ones are a little cheaper to make and from what I've read dji is keeping both replacement parts so no reason to worry yet.

Weather here has been a whole lot of rain for the past two weeks. I've only gotten as far as recording serial numbers & a whole lot of reading!

I powered on both controllers this morning. The Pro controller was 25-50%. The Advanced was completely discharged & would not power up at all. Both are charging now. Took a while with one light rapid blinking on the Advance but she is >50% now & will power on.

Comment on the P3 power supplies. I have a 100 watt with the Pro, a 57 watt with the Advanced, plus an second 100 watt I purchased separately. The 57 PS is matte finish with a P2-style connector. The 100 watt PS is a fingerprint-city gloss finish with a what I imagine is an "improved" smaller connector with a small cover attached by rubber. Personally I prefer the P2-style connector. Neither supply includes a status indicator light. That is a handy indicator to have that I will miss.

Congrats on your successful first flight & thank you for the valuable links.

You too, eh DB?

Finally got my new P3Pro unboxed yesterday and set up today. I had wanted to wait until I had some of the accessories I ordered. Quite a bit of work, but I hadn't had a "Phantom Day" since my P2V+ crapped the bed! I had been reading the manual the last few days, as well as checking this site for resources and information, so it all went fairly smooth.

I found this post to be a wealth of information::THE Help Guide for the Phantom 3 | DJI Phantom Forum
along with msinger's PhantomHelp site with everything you need/want: DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

So, here is what I did:
  1. Took everything out of the box (The updated A-model everything).
  2. Charged Phantom Battery
  3. Charged Remote (I thought I had an issue when only one white LED was rapidly blinking, but that soon turned to two in progression, then three. It took a while).
  4. Downloaded DJI GO! app (I will probably replace with another app later).
  5. Installed Trackimo device on Phantom with Trackimo holder, Gimbal-guard, Polar Pro ND filter, Killer RC Gimbal clamp, Inspire tablet holder (metal bracket instead of plastic), and finally a Getterback float.
  6. Registered with the FAA and put Registration sticker on Phantom. (this was stupid easy, and may prove unnecessary, as I am waiting for my commercial registration to process and receive an "N" number now that I've got my Section 333 exemption).
  7. Debated not updating firmware, but eventually caved and updated the Phantom and R/C. I wondered if I'd live to regret this decision, but I'm happy to report I had none of the vibration issues, flight performance or update woes reported on the boards. Thanks again to msinger for posting this: P3 Firmware - HOW TO: Install Phantom 3 firmware | DJI Phantom Forum
  8. Following the F/W update I cold calibrated the IMU, calibrated the compass, and calibrated the R/C.
  9. Maiden flight was today just before twilight; I am happy to report it was very successful!
  10. Had to download VLC media player to get the higher resolution videos from the P3Pro to play on my computer; there was no adware or additional installs and the player is very clean. If you get any choppiness in playback, try this software before buying a new computer. VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!
All in all, it was a full day today... hope to get some good aerials tomorrow. Enjoy yourself DB, it certainly is good to be back!

Cool stuff! Has anyone helped you yet with the need-to-know tips that can be very beneficial?

Also since they came before then end of the year you can claim them on ur taxes. :p

What he say?

Welcome to the P3 forum @dirtybird. Nice to see you in here. You were very helpful to me for a year in the P2v forum and I'm looking forward to hearing all your stories of the P3

I know you like stealth mode for night flights; you'll be glad to know that you can turn off the red lights via the app. Better than nothing!

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Hi Connor how have you been? Still have your V+ also? Took the new Advanced out for her maiden flight about an hour ago. It was dark & no Flytrex yet so I didn't get radical. Went out about 5000' & looped around the shopping centers. Everything good except I momentarily lost video when some trees interfered with LOS. Didn't affect control though. Bird came with 1.3.20 firmware. I haven't updated & maidened her with that version. Logging function is pretty amazing. Even records camera tilt! Some serious flight logging going on here!

Yea I noticed you can shut off the front lights & also they come on with the bird instead of with the motors as with the V+. The P3 is perkier than the P2.

Welcome to the P3 forum @dirtybird. Nice to see you in here. You were very helpful to me for a year in the P2v forum and I'm looking forward to hearing all your stories of the P3

I know you like stealth mode for night flights; you'll be glad to know that you can turn off the red lights via the app. Better than nothing!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl