Finally broke a prop. So now I have a 9443 vs 9450 question.

Reaction score
Okay, it's funny so I'm gonna share it. Took off from the patio table, hit a metal chair and tumbled into the pool. Glad I drained the pool to change the water. Got a little wet as it slid upside down to the deep end. Fun to watch but totally unintentional. The GoPro was running and the file is there but doesn't want to open. I sure would like to see that video.

Anyway, the question is:

:?: How do I order 9450 props?
Thought I had purchased 9450 props when I bought "PHANTOM 2 VISION, Spare Part NO.3..., PV645730779", off of Amazon.
Looks like some folks get DJI and some get XO, by reading the reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-DJI-Phant ... al_qh_dp_t

Turns out I received 9443 props. They work great on my FC40 but are a lot closer to 9 7/16 than they are to 9 1/2 inches.
I'm thinking mine are DJI.

Re: Finally broke a prop. So now I have a 9443 vs 9450 quest

I've seen the 9450 props on ebay ($20 for 4). Just type in, "9450 props". I want to try them as well, but I'll wait until I somehow break the 9443s I have currently.

Usually they are XOXO props which i have heard nothing but people having problems.

I ordered my 9450's straight from DJI website. Shipped from China to US in just 3 days! Not cheap but at least I did not get the dreaded xoxo ones most people are getting. Total price for set of four was $58 I think.

OI Photography said:
Here's the real deal: http://www.extremeuas.com/products/dji- ... ning-props

Btw, 9.4" is the correct length.. hence the "94" in 9443/9450 ;)

I think we have today's winner. Thanks OI Photography, I think you have sent me there before. ;) Sometimes it takes a bigger hammer to get my attention.

Now that I feel that is resolved, I gotta nother set of questions for yous. No, it's not a typo, I've just been in WY for too long.

If 94** means 9.4 inches, what does **43 or **50 mean? I'm thinking pitch but dunno where to look for an answer.

And another thing...
A "Stall Strip" as I know it, is an obstruction to airflow which creates turbulence (for the purpose of inducing a stall at a specific location on an airfoil). So, why would DJI, or anyone else for that matter, put one on a propeller? Although it is nice to know who manufactured the prop, and what size it is; why would they spoil the lift by casting numbers and letters near the leading edge of the prop, especially near the root where we already suffer from enough issues (that rotor-wash thing)? I would have placed them near the trailing edge to disrupt the airflow later and spoiled much less lift. Better yet, they could have cast it on the hub and given us all available lift.

Am I getting tooo technical? Will these small castings NOT disrupt the airflow? Any aeronautical engineers want to address this? Do we have access to a wind tunnel?

BTW: I got a flip-in head magnifier spectacle type doohickey delivered today. ****, now I can see how much cow dung I'm getting in my machine.

Gotta stop chasing the cows or at least crashing in the poop. :)

Attachments

• Flippin Specs.jpg
    Flippin Specs.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1,036

I bought six 9450 props from UAV Outlet for about 15 per pair. They are the same size, shape and pitch as the originals. They are much firmer. Not as firm as I suspect CF props to be, but quite a bit firmer than the originals.

I compared the two in a reasonably controlled test. The original props went from 0-400 ft. altitude in 30 seconds. I landed and switched props. The 9450's went from 0-400 ft. in 23 seconds.

I have not noticed any other real change in flight characteristics.

Honestly don't know why people have such bad times with the XOXO props. They have always worked fine for me.

IflyinWY said:
If 94** means 9.4 inches, what does **43 or **50 mean? I'm thinking pitch but dunno where to look for an answer.

Bingo :) The second set of digits is the pitch of the prop (or that's the standard convention anyway). The 9443's have a 4.3" pitch...but it seems DJI were a little liberal with the 9450's name, they actually have a 4.5" pitch. I'm assuming they wanted to differentiate them more than 9443/9445.

Nobody seems to be balancing them and just putting them on and going flying.

Molokai said:
Honestly don't know why people have such bad times with the XOXO props. They have always worked fine for me.

Beario said:
Nobody seems to be balancing them and just putting them on and going flying.

Molokai said:

So, the saga continues. I ask one question and it leads to 3 or 7 or 18 more.

Would you mind suggesting a good prop balancing technique and apparatus, if one is required. I used a fingernail file to fix some nicks on the surviving props from when I dove my bird into the (empty) pool. :)

I may be interested in buying from the "Other Side" if in fact the XOXO props just need a little trimming here and there. I'm very surprised it took me this long to break one. :D

I use:

!). A perfectly level desk
2). 1 BIC pen
3). Scotch tape or invisible tape

Procedure:

The BIC pen is the same size as the opening where the prop screws on to the motor. Push the pen into the hole slightly in, not too far you do not want to damage the prop. On the side of the desk rest the pen with the prop so that the prop can spin without falling off the desk. The heavy side of the prop will face down. You can apply a small piece of tape to the lighter side and repeat the procedure until the prop no longer spins in any direction and is parallel to top of desk.

By the way, this has worked for me for a long time if done correctly. I do not see the point in buying any hardware for balancing.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 1,105

Nice one Beario.

I'm going to give that a shot. Thanks :D

Just got a set of genuine 9450 E300 turbo boosters and I'm very impressed. Much faster in every direction, longer flight times and arresting rapid descents is much easier. The set I got required no balancing at all and are stiffer than the standard P2s.

On the down side, they are a bit more wind sensitive than the original 8" but no more than the standard P2 props.

I haven't always agreed with the adage 'you get what you pay for' but in this case I have found it to be true, I have a box full of dubious knock off props that are destined for the bin.

For me, it will be the 8" for windy conditions and the 9450s for calmer days (both originals). Happy bunny :p

Thank you martybabe.

What type of props is the standard on FC40 :) ?
Is there a official site for ordering these probs? (Im from Denmark, and not many dealers here :( )

Holrits said:
Is there a official site for ordering these probs? (Im from Denmark, and not many dealers here :( )

I would think DJI.com would be the "official site" and offer them, but it doesn't look like it.

Here's where I have purchased mine.
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-DJI-Self- ... propellers

If nothing else, it should give you the "type".

IflyinWY said:
Holrits said:

I would think DJI.com would be the "official site" and offer them, but it doesn't look like it.

Here's where I have purchased mine.
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-DJI-Self- ... propellers

If nothing else, it should give you the "type".

Is that The new types of better probs or The Stock fc40 :)? How do you see The difference?

Do you guys know what type of Props the DJI FC40 have as standard, and wich type of Props that give the best flight Experience + Flight time?
im totally green here :D

Also is the Carbon props better somehow? i have been looking on these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/XT-XINTE-Self-t ... =9450+prop

Regards Nicolai

The standard props are 8 inch. The P2 props are 9.4 inch and look totally different. The new high performance P2 props are 9.4 inch as well but with more pitch on the blade. I wouldn't expect the difference to be all that obvious between the old and new P2 props.

As for carbon props search the forum, you'll see all the horror stories pretty quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20