Final Cut Pro or Adobe Pro?

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Mac mini to edit my videos with final cut pro but I am not a fan of macs because I feel the prices are ridiculous. I use imovie on my iphone right now for editing which is why I was drawn to using mac for editing but for the price of a mac with the specs I need would buy me one hell of a windows machine. So I want to know everyones opinion on Final cut pro vs Adobe pro. Is Adobe user friendly like Final cut pro? Or is Mac definitely what I should get?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Get a Mac with Premiere Pro - you will not regret it! Don't forget there is a reason for the higher price of a Mac - and it's not about design: the thing just works when you need it to!!! But unless you are a hobbyist and have the time to mess around inside a pc, you should go for that. I've been using Macs professionally for the last 20 years and had very problems so far

I highly doubt a Mini will be able to handle 4K video editing (unless u have an Adv?)
I would buy a high-powered, upgradeable Windows machine and use Adobe Premiere Pro.

You can customize a mini with an i7 processor and up to 16gb of ram but that makes it about $1,000

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Get a Mac with Premiere Pro - you will not regret it! Don't forget there is a reason for the higher price of a Mac - and it's not about design: the thing just works when you need it to!!! But unless you are a hobbyist and have the time to mess around inside a pc, you should go for that. I've been using Macs professionally for the last 20 years and had very problems so far

Would you recommend the Mac mini?

You can customize a mini with an i7 processor and up to 16gb of ram but that makes it about $1,000
Get an iMac or Mac Pro instead, if you really want FCPX. A Mac Mini just won't have a powerful enough GPU; CPU and RAM don't mean as much when it comes to video editing.

Get an iMac or Mac Pro instead, if you really want FCPX. A Mac Mini just won't have a powerful enough GPU; CPU and RAM don't mean as much when it comes to video editing.

Alright, I already have a Windows desktop as my main computer so how about a MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro
Hmm... if you get one configured with 16GB RAM and the highest i7 with Iris graphics, that's a great idea! MBP's have amazing battery life and performance.

Would you recommend the Mac mini?

I wouldn't buy an Mac Mini as it is not very suited for heavy video editing....again, depends on how hardcore you intend to beat your machine. But don't buy now at least: iPhone, iPad, Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy
Easy way: buy an iMac
Serious way: buy a MacPro
Convenient way: buy a MacBook Pro

I wouldn't buy an Mac Mini as it is not very suited for heavy video editing....again, depends on how hardcore you intend to beat your machine. But don't buy now at least: iPhone, iPad, Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy
Easy way: buy an iMac
Serious way: buy a MacPro
Convenient way: buy a MacBook Pro

Well after thinking about it, I don't really need 4k video as most people don't even have screens that can display it. So would the Mac mini with 8gb ram 1Tb fusion drive and either i5 or i7 be good enough for. 2.7k? I forgot to clarify that I only have a P3A not a P3P.

I am not saying a Mac mini won't be able to carry out the job now, but I would be a bit concerned about hitting the wall for whats possible on it. As resolutions and bitrates increases, you could see your new investment as a bad one sooner than expected.
I would maybe ask a bit more around to see if you can find any with hands-on experience with the Mac Mini and P3A configuration, or at least some serious video editing on that model. I haven't heard of any in my post production community, buy you never know... ;)
Best advice I can give you, sorry

I am not saying a Mac mini won't be able to carry out the job now, but I would be a bit concerned about hitting the wall for whats possible on it. As resolutions and bitrates increases, you could see your new investment as a bad one sooner than expected.
I would maybe ask a bit more around to see if you can find any with hands-on experience with the Mac Mini and P3A configuration, or at least some serious video editing on that model. I haven't heard of any in my post production community, buy you never know... ;)
Best advice I can give you, sorry

No need to apologize. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I did talk to apple support chat and explained I would be editing videos and that the resolution would be 2.7 k and they told me the Mac mini would be a great money saver and would be good for the job if configured right.

I too was thinking of a Mac Mini (my 9 year old PC is dead) but decided to bite the bullet and get the 15" Mac Book Pro i7, 16G ram and 512G SSD. They just crunch through video Big files! I figured It's a few bucks now but I should be future proofed for quite a while. I was thinking about the mini trying to be cheep but finally decided the mini would do the job but just barely and it would be slooooow!

Mac mini is for web surfing and watch youtube videos....don't bother with it. Get a Mac with Premiere Pro - I also wouldn't advice. This things are **** pretty and expensive. Unreasonably expensive.

And apsolutly no future-proof. You are not interesting in 4K for now? Ok...

FOR HD workflow:
Grab a i7 5820 ,start with 16GB RAM, for GPU you're good with ooooold gtx470 or better (6 layers with effects in timeline-plays realtime, no need to render) , 1st ssd-OS, 2nd ssd for media cache and previews, 3rd hdd(7200rpm) for projects and media and 4th hdd(7200rpm) for exports. Eventually one extra hdd for backups (3/4/6TB green or blue WD)

Next year if you want to go 4K, replace 5820 with 5960x or 6950x, put extra 16gb RAM, throw in gtx980ti or 1080. Everything else you have from previously setup. Case, motherboard, disk setup, power supply, 16GB RAM.

I did that and it works like a charm...
cheers ;)

Reactions: Falcon900
Next year if you want to go 4K, replace 5820 with 5960x or 6950x, put extra 16gb RAM, throw in gtx980ti or 1080. Everything else you have from previously setup. Case, motherboard, disk setup, power supply, 16GB RAM.
Extreme overkill just for 4K editing. More than capable gaming rig though.

Extreme overkill just for 4K editing. More than capable gaming rig though.

Here is some shorts from our friends at Puget Systems:
Processor (CPU)
While exporting video and generating previews in Premiere Pro can utilize almost any number of CPU cores, our testing has shown that for both 1080p and 4K video there is diminishing returns to having more than ~8 cores. Having more cores or multiple physical CPUs can still give a performance boost if you need the absolute best performance in Premiere Pro, but in general we recommend using a CPU with at least 6 cores and a relatively high (3.2GHz+) operating frequency.

Video Card (GPU)
Thanks to the Mercury Playback Engine, Premiere Pro can utilize your video card for a very wide variety of tasks. Not only will a good GPU improve the time it takes to encode a video, it can also drastically increase the amount of your timeline that can be viewed without needing to generate previews first. However, depending on what you are doing there is a point where a more powerful GPU will not translate into better performance. In general, we recommend a mid-range GPU like a GeForce GTX 970 for 1080p timelines and a GeForce GTX 980Ti for 4K timelines.

Memory (RAM)
While the exact amount of RAM you need is going to depend on your particular projects, we generally recommend a minimum of 16GB for all our systems. Memory usage in Premiere Pro can quickly shoot up, however, so it is important that you ensure you have enough system RAM available. The exact amount you need will depend on exactly what you are doing, but if you work with 4K videos or even very complex 1080p timelines you may want 32GB or more RAM.

If you want to read full article:
Recommended System: Recommended Systems for Adobe Premiere Pro

Reactions: Falcon900
Here is some shorts from our friends at Puget Systems:
Processor (CPU)
While exporting video and generating previews in Premiere Pro can utilize almost any number of CPU cores, our testing has shown that for both 1080p and 4K video there is diminishing returns to having more than ~8 cores. Having more cores or multiple physical CPUs can still give a performance boost if you need the absolute best performance in Premiere Pro, but in general we recommend using a CPU with at least 6 cores and a relatively high (3.2GHz+) operating frequency.

Video Card (GPU)
Thanks to the Mercury Playback Engine, Premiere Pro can utilize your video card for a very wide variety of tasks. Not only will a good GPU improve the time it takes to encode a video, it can also drastically increase the amount of your timeline that can be viewed without needing to generate previews first. However, depending on what you are doing there is a point where a more powerful GPU will not translate into better performance. In general, we recommend a mid-range GPU like a GeForce GTX 970 for 1080p timelines and a GeForce GTX 980Ti for 4K timelines.

Memory (RAM)
While the exact amount of RAM you need is going to depend on your particular projects, we generally recommend a minimum of 16GB for all our systems. Memory usage in Premiere Pro can quickly shoot up, however, so it is important that you ensure you have enough system RAM available. The exact amount you need will depend on exactly what you are doing, but if you work with 4K videos or even very complex 1080p timelines you may want 32GB or more RAM.

If you want to read full article:
Recommended System: Recommended Systems for Adobe Premiere Pro
Hmm, wow. I always thought my overclocked 4770K, dual 980ti SLI and 32GB RAM was complete overkill. Seems not as much as I thought...

Reactions: airwindow
I edit all video and photos on a MacBook Pro 13" with Final Cut Pro X. I don't edit 4k video natively. Within Final Cut Pro, you can create proxy or optimized media files that make the editing much smoother but then render out in 4K if need be.

Reactions: airwindow

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31