Filters

Reaction score
Is there a camera filter thats pretty much universal that will work for everyday shots rather than having to changing out to a different filter each time?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

You can use an adjustable filter. The results are sometimes not as good as a regular ND filter though. You're mileage will probably vary depending on which filter brand you choose.

You can use an adjustable filter. The results are sometimes not as good as a regular ND filter though. You're mileage will probably vary depending on which filter brand you choose.
Whats the best brand? I see so many on amazon from polar pro to newer.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The best brand of filters in general? There isn't one best brand. I compared many of the commonly used brands here.

Reactions: Jeremy_S
I use a variable ND filter. I use 1080/60fps and set shutter to 1/120th. ISO at 100. I just slide it on, not screw, then twist it until my image looks good. works well. hope this helps.

Is there an advantage between slip ons and screw ons?

So when using an ND filter, for example an ND16, does the iso have to be turned down? I'm new to the filter stuff. Still learning the iso/aperture stuff as far as photoghraphy.

Here is the easy way if understanding it: aperture, ISO, and shutter speed all control how much light hits the sensor. A longer (slower) shutter speed, higher ISO (sensitivity), or wider aperture (literally a bigger hole in the shutter opening) all will brighten the image. For best quality, you want to use the lowest ISO possible (100, iirc). So "lock" that parameter in your mind. For smooth motion, you want to shoot video at double the frame rate (as a general rule). So 1/120th second for a 60fps capture. If you lock that second parameter in your mind, you realize you have only one setting left to adjust: aperture. However, we have fixed aperture cameras on our drones. So what are we to do? Make the day less bright by slapping a ND filter on the lens. To the sensor, you just went from a blindingly bright day (in which you would normally want a shutter speed like 1/4000th of a second) to dusk, when our 1/120th is right.

You want to set your shutter speed to the right one and observe the output. On a well lit day, it is probably WAY too bright. Put on darker and darker ND filters until your exposure looks good. You can always adjust ISO one "stop" higher to make fine adjustments, as going to ISO 200 or even 400 probably doesn't hurt image quality too much. However, the golden rule is to keep it as base (100) and use your filters to get the brightness level you want.

I hope this makes sense and helps!

I've been having good results from the PolarPro cinema line. The last time I was down south, I realized I could have used a ND32PL but PolarPro doesn't make one in the Cinema series. A couple email exchanges later with PolarPro, they said they haven't had any negative feedback or comments about purple colour shifts with the regular ND32PL filters so I picked one up. I'm back down south in the sunny Caribbean and recently did a test shoot with my new PolarPro ND32PL. Wow, big time purple colour shift esp in the skies! Trying to colour correct in post was not my idea of fun. Looks like I'll be sacrificing slightly higher FPS and use my Cinema ND16PL for better colour/clarity.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan