filming while driving... and distance...

Reaction score
So if I am driving while filming or on a boat thats moving... and the bird gets lost.... is there a way to do a return to home to the remote? or reset home point ? if so how? Cant seem to figure it out...

ps. Im on my about 20th flight and have yet to use the return to home... the p3 is working so well...i used the return to home on my p2 probably every other time i filmed with it. I guess its because i turn around right when the app tells me its losing signal... How much further does everyone push it past the low signal indicator ?

If your mobile device has GPS enabled, you can set your remote controller to the home point in the DJI Pilot app -- like this:

013040i185px11pui3xsmj.png

You can still use GPS on an iPad even if cell service is not activated/disabled.

Im on my about 20th flight and have yet to use the return to home
is there a way to do a return to home to the remote? or reset home point ?
How much further does everyone push it past the low signal indicator ?
1. Do play with the RTH so that when you need it, you'll know how to activate it and how it works.
2. You can reset home to the current location of the P3 or set dynamic home point which will update every few seconds to the controller location.
3. The P3 will go further than is safe (for battery life) and you still have good signal.
Watch the yellow H on the timeline to know when to turn and run for home.
4. The G in GPS stands for global - it works all over the world.

1. Do play with the RTH so that when you need it, you'll know how to activate it and how it works.
2. You can reset home to the current location of the P3 or set dynamic home point which will update every few seconds to the controller location.
3. The P3 will go further than is safe (for battery life) and you still have good signal.
Watch the yellow H on the timeline to know when to turn and run for home.
4. The G in GPS stands for global - it works all over the world.

are you able to take over control after return to home has been activated and its on its way back. i don't remember this being a possibility with my p2?

are you able to take over control after return to home has been activated and its on its way back. i don't remember this being a possibility with my p2?

Yes you will still have control even while in RTH mode. You can also press and hold the RTH button on the remote to cancel RTH once it gets close enough.

A good thing to remember about rth is that once activated the bird will climb to the height you have set. If you hit the throttle while it is climbing it will stop climbing and head for home at that hieght. Ive read about people hitting trees because of that.

Yes, you could do this with the P2.
It's a good idea to try out the RTH procedure and cancelling so that it's no problem when you need to avoid a tree one day.
I usually cancel RTH soon after it initiates and take over because I can fly faster than RTH.
There are two full pages in the manual about the three kinds of RTH - definitely something every Phantom flyer should be familiar with.

Reactions: SirAchie
So if I am driving while filming or on a boat thats moving... and the bird gets lost.... is there a way to do a return to home to the remote? or reset home point ? if so how? Cant seem to figure it out...

ps. Im on my about 20th flight and have yet to use the return to home... the p3 is working so well...i used the return to home on my p2 probably every other time i filmed with it. I guess its because i turn around right when the app tells me its losing signal... How much further does everyone push it past the low signal indicator ?

Dynamic Home Point, unlike an Inspire 1 remote which has a built in GPS inside the controller the Phantom 3 controller does not. So you will need to be flying with a Tablet or Smartphone with a GPS chip inside of it. You do not need cell service for the GPS chip to work, you just need one. A Nexus 7 2013 model has GPS built into it in the basic WiFi version as one tablet example. If you go the iPad route with the Mini 2, 3, Air or Air 2 it has to be the cellular version of the tablet as the WiFi only models don't include a GPS chip.

So when flying if you loose connection the Phantom will land in the last spot it saw the Dynamic Home point marked wherever you were when the connection was lost. If you are driving and loose connection immediately pull over so you can get your connection back and cancel the RTH so it doesn't land in the middle of the road potentially causing an accident.

I'm a huge fan of driving and flying! I launch out of the car without getting out and land outside the car without getting out. It takes some practice but it's pretty simple. A word from the wise.. When launching out of the car don't be in a hurry and be sure to look up and make sure you are clear of any obstacles. On July 4th I was in a hurry to get a fire works show and launched while moving.. (first time to do that.. pretty intense) once I was air born I was so excited I took it up to get clear of everything and took my P3P up into power lines.. :mad:

HERE is a video of driving and flying.
Sort of boring (no music because it's unedited
I went under an overpass at the 2:30
Flew over some pretty nice homes at 3:30... after that it's more of the same. I live in a very flat city.

RTH started to kick in at the end of the video. After experience I knew to stay calm and turn it off, no big deal right? The first time that happened I was flying through down town and panicked.. It was 25 mph wind that day with gusts up to 40 and I had visions of never seeing my P3P again. I was 6 miles away from my home point and had less than 20 flights under my belt. I crashed it on purpose because I was not prepared. Everything was fine w/ the P3P after that crash but a good lesson learned. If you are going to be flying while moving think of every scenario you can and what to do if it happens. Be prepared to lose it or destroy it because you are high risk flying and it's your responsibility.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31