filming wakeboarding/wakesurfing?

Reaction score
Hey all ... I have just started trying to film my friends wake surfing/wakeboarding behind our boat. I am having issues because the drone will only let me get so far from the "take off" point and then it will just stop working and hover. We travel quite fast in the boat so I cannot get much footage before having to go back and grab it.

Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing that I need to enable/disable to allow me to fly however far I want from the take off point?

Thanks

Are you still in beginner mode?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was just out today and noticed it was set to 200m ... somehow I missed that?? I boosted it to 500m. Is there a way to turn it off completely?

500m is the max unless you modify the controller. Try changing the home point to the controller instead of the take off location.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Turn off "enable max distance".
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1465401729.769957.jpg

Hi, I captured some really great footage waketubing with the Phantom in "Follow me" mode. The top speed reached 30 mph. Will try to post link.

Hi, this was somewhat challenging (and nerve racking). I launched from the dock and let her hover, got in the boat and started follow mode once the passenger was ready to roll. The drone had no problem keeping up with the boat.

I am familiar with the FOLLOW ME feature in Vertical Studio ... never tried the one that comes with the DJI software. Are you controlling the drone and it is controlling the camera? Or vice versa?

I am familiar with the FOLLOW ME feature in Vertical Studio ... never tried the one that comes with the DJI software. Are you controlling the drone and it is controlling the camera? Or vice versa?

Hi,

I was adjusting the gimbal and the yaw of the drone while it was tracking the boat. It was somewhat challenging as it was the first time I had tried it while bouncing in the boat. I was very impressed with the result however! This flight lasted 21 minutes, was the fastest the drone had ever flown and probably the farthest total distance in one flight. In follow me mode, the drone will maintain the distance to the controller (in the boat) and track. The operator does still have the ability to adjust yaw and gimbal, but the tracking of the general position was the follow me mode (matched speed of the boat). I am not sure that it would be possible to accurately track the boat without using the follow function, especially while bouncing. It did seem like the drone was also trying to capture different perspectives as the boat turned and such. This was filmed using the DJI GO software. The coolest footage I have captured to date!

Rob

OK thanks for the info. The VertStudio lets your control just the drone and it handles the gimbal at all times. It allows you to come in close or way up high for different angled shots which I really like.

DJI will always stay at a preset distance and that can not be changed mid flight?

Hi,

I was adjusting the gimbal and the yaw of the drone while it was tracking the boat. It was somewhat challenging as it was the first time I had tried it while bouncing in the boat. I was very impressed with the result however! This flight lasted 21 minutes, was the fastest the drone had ever flown and probably the farthest total distance in one flight. In follow me mode, the drone will maintain the distance to the controller (in the boat) and track. The operator does still have the ability to adjust yaw and gimbal, but the tracking of the general position was the follow me mode (matched speed of the boat). I am not sure that it would be possible to accurately track the boat without using the follow function, especially while bouncing. It did seem like the drone was also trying to capture different perspectives as the boat turned and such. This was filmed using the DJI GO software. The coolest footage I have captured to date!

Rob
Look forward to the video

I have not used the function that many times. In a couple weeks I'll be taking some footage on a small lake, rowboats and kayaks. This should be better for experimenting more. It was an experience watching the drone track by itself. I think that it does try to give different positions, I am pretty sure that you can also modify the altitude and such while in motion. I was focusing more on the gimbal and yaw, to keep the subjects in the frame.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic