Filming/Photo Advice for Upcoming Event

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am still kinda new to filming "events" and would like to see if anyone has any suggestions for unique shots/angles, etc. with my P3A.
I am shooting a road bicycle event on a closed road.
I was thinking one shot could be in front of the lead rider, flying backwards for a moment to get a good shot, and then rising in altitude to continue shooting the entire pack of riders.
I was thinking of using Airnest for this and plotting in waypoints to follow the pack as it is a set course along a closed roadway. I could also use the Vertical app to track the pack.
I guess the following of the lead rider at the beginning would be done by me manually.
Anyone have any other suggestions/advice?

Low level to high level pan outs are always good - try flying sideways as well, showing the speed of the leader, then fly back and up to get in the whole pack. Make sure there are no other drones at the event - it's easy to lose which one is yours while looking back and forth from FPV.

I do a lot of cycling films because I'm a bike rider myself :D So I kinda made a name into the action sports drone filming around here, maybe I can help you.

First, do a deep survey of the area checking for obstacles like trees, cables, power poles, anything that could be in the way of your quad. That's very important I've seen many pilots crashing their drones for not taking this seriously. I've used Vertical Studio's WALL feature to stay clear of buildings and other obstacles, it's a handy feature no other app has (as far as I know).

You can do a pre-flight to test for angles and moves, even without the riders and the action it can be useful. I don't always do that but it is good as a rehearsal in some events. You can also use DJI GO or other app to pre-record waypoints, that's useful if for some reason the controlling of the P3 and camera at the same time can be difficult, Then you've got more focus on filming than on controlling the AC.

For that there's also GO's IOC "Course Lock" or even Home Lock to set a line (or lines) across the circuit to free you for yaw and tilt control. I use it quite a lot because it's fast and easy to set up and really handy. Since the P3 doesn't have the 360 gimbal like the Inspire or other professional heavy-payload quads and hexas those features can help a lot to get smooth, "pro" shots in action sports. Try different "lines" for instance along and across the peloton/circuit, etc.

Another tip I'd give is to do a lot of shots from all different angles and moves you can. Filming is just like that, especially sports due to the nature of the action, it's all about capturing a lot then edit the best moments. Since it's hard to rehearse or capture everything, the more raw material you have to use - and also to learn from - the better.

So in general it can be a good strategy to make use of different features from various apps, of course depending on your specific needs, to get the results you want/need. I'll post more tips if I remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leenanj and Meta4
Hi Everyone,
I am still kinda new to filming "events" and would like to see if anyone has any suggestions for unique shots/angles, etc. with my P3A.
I am shooting a road bicycle event on a closed road.
I was thinking one shot could be in front of the lead rider, flying backwards for a moment to get a good shot, and then rising in altitude to continue shooting the entire pack of riders.
I was thinking of using Airnest for this and plotting in waypoints to follow the pack as it is a set course along a closed roadway. I could also use the Vertical app to track the pack.
I guess the following of the lead rider at the beginning would be done by me manually.
Anyone have any other suggestions/advice?

You shooting the red hook crit too? its going to be tough with such a tight course, i also wouldn't recommend flying directly in front of lead rider(s) - im thinking only option is flying the course from above with down angle...again, course is just too tight for that front racer perspective.

lastly, the average pace of the racers will be in excess 25mph, and will exceed 40mph in some sections...P3A wouldnt be able to keep that pace...for long.

see you there!

Also figure out the Sun direction as your cam should not face it.

Also figure out the Sun direction as your cam should not face it.
There are several apps available that do that - The Photographer's Ephemeris, Light Trac, Sun Surveyor (iOS) and others. They are invaluable for setting up stuff like this (then it's raining the day of the shoot, oh well....).

If you don't have a second camera but you an iPhone get Filmic Pro and match your settings flawlessly. Use that for ground shots or a dslr if you have one.

If you have neither take off the props and hold the Phantom to your chest and get follow shots and or singles(9 sec each) of each rider and then a extra wide (10 sec) at 3 angles with all of them before they split.

Film the crowd from your waist level from 4 angles at 11 sec each. You can do this with individuals as well during the event.

A mixture of your Ariel shots and these Ground will give you a balanced product to edit that won't be to long or short... Always shoot to edit.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl