Filming football.

Reaction score
I'm filming high school football games for the coach. I have to stay 30 ft to the side of the field. I have a Phantom 3 professional, what kind of lens can I use to get closer shots? Thanks

I don't know, I've seen lenses and filters for UV amounts, but I haven't seen anything for zoom. (I admit, I haven't looked for zoom-ability either, lol)

Don't think that there any zoom lenses available and not sure how you would adjust them on the fly anyway. You might be able to design a lease to screw on the front that would narrow the field of view (effectively increasing the foclal length of the lens), but it would have to be custom and unless it weight exactly the same as the stock UV filter, it could throw the gimbal balance off. You didn't say how high you were flying, but from 30 ft away, you get a lot of detail. Should be able to easily read numbers, catch the handoffs, etc. and still have enough view to see the end of a long pass. You didn't say if you were shooting video or stills, but in either case, you should be able to crop pretty close and still have decent resolution. Have you gon on the filed yet and taken some sample shots?

I'm filming high school football games for the coach. I have to stay 30 ft to the side of the field. I have a Phantom 3 professional, what kind of lens can I use to get closer shots? Thanks
One more thing. Hate to be a drudge, but that sounds like 'commercial' work to me, even aren't getting paid!

Reactions: BigAl07
Ronald Hello
animated-smileys-waving-015.gif

Welcome to the forum and the addiction er hobby :)

I want to caution you about doing this type of work. You're skating on thin ice in terms of safety and in terms of FAA regulations. Also when you go to fly at a school event you must get (in writing) approval from the local school system and in some instances approval on a state level (here in NC I have to get State signature, county super signature, school principle signature and lastly the approval from the county attorney. Even with those signatures I can't fly over any people other than myself and my crew.

In answer to your question there are no lenses available to allow you to ZOOM with a Phantom 3. All that type of work will need to be done in post processing.

Lastly since you're doing this for the coach and like it or not it is a business venture you will be operating in a Commercial capacity. You'll want to check your local regulations, state regulations and of course follow the FAA's regulations (which you won't be able to do if flying over people or anywhere remotely near 30' from people).

Whatever you decide to do please do it safely and in such a way that should something fail with your aircraft it won't fall on any person. You don't want to be "that guy" and should someone get hurt you'll get national media coverage (not in a good way). By the way most schools restrict any type of UAS flights in their stadiums/fields etc.

Reactions: Bluebouye
Plus, one of the main guidelines set by the FAA is: "Never Fly Over Stadiums or Sports Events."

This is printed in the "Safety Guidelines for UAS" on EVERY registration card/certificate. And being the Phantoms weigh more than 0.55 lbs, than we all know it MUST be registered.

I think someone needs to get to grips with the law! (Assuming you are in the uk) 50m is the minimum distance from anyone "not under the pilots control" that can be reduced to 30m If landing or taking off. I hate to be a moaning arse, but this really rattles me.. Those who haven't bothered to get a head around "the rules" then when it goes wrong the whole UAV/Drone take the wrap! I could rattle on with some more distances etc... But clearly one couldn't be bothered reading up before considering such an outrageous mission. Grrrrrrrr go ahead enjoy your cup of tea without biscuits at the CAA. Never mind the risks you are proposing to bystanders. Rant over

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think someone needs to get to grips with the law! (Assuming you are in the uk) 50m is the minimum distance from anyone "not under the pilots control" that can be reduced to 30m If landing or taking off. I hate to be a moaning arse, but this really rattles me.. Those who haven't bothered to get a head around "the rules" then when it goes wrong the whole UAV/Drone take the wrap! I could rattle on with some more distances etc... But clearly one couldn't be bothered reading up before considering such an outrageous mission. Grrrrrrrr go ahead enjoy your cup of tea without biscuits at the CAA. Never mind the risks you are proposing to bystanders. Rant over

I was under the impression he was referring to the American variety of football...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using PhantomPilots mobile app

American, Australian, English, Tim Buck too, FAA CAA...KGB...30 metres is 30 metres ..way way too close to Joe Public for my mind.. But that's me..

So, I'm in the USA and don't need a thousand signatures to fly over public HS property. Small school, couple hundred fans at most. The folks giving you warnings may have issues for you to consider but it's up to you to determine if you are flying legally and safely.

That being said, I've done this without issue. There is a large plot of land near the stadium and I fly, and have others film for me about 100' away and about 300-400' up.

Without any lens, the footage is plenty good for chalk talk. Not great for year end highlights, but I can easily tell which position is which and I know who is who so it works well for me.

Our games happen before sunset at this time of year so I do use ND filters though.

Try filming a practice first and you'll get the idea.

Best of luck and wishes for a great season!

I was doing the same for the high school I work for filming practice and our first scrimmage. Monday got an email that says our interscholastic league in Texas outlawed it. Texas Association of Sports Officials may check out your states rules

Ok, I'm filming in Arizona. I don't ever fly over any spectators or players. I'm flying the schools drone. I'm being very cautious, and don't want to be that guy either.

Having played football for years, I say without hesitation I'd prefer being hit by a drone falling from the sky than a defensive tackle. Way more danger playing the game than a 2lb drone falling and hitting you, especially with all the protective gear worn.

Reactions: 10X
Having played football for years, I say without hesitation I'd prefer being hit by a drone falling from the sky than a defensive tackle. Way more danger playing the game than a 2lb drone falling and hitting you, especially with all the protective gear worn.

That's presuming the drone is only ever going to be flown over people wearing protective gear.......how about coaches or spectators? I know I wouldn't want something weighing 1.3kg hitting me from any height, let alone from some real altitude. I'm pretty sure the general public and those not aware of the risks of someone flying a drone over their heads, without any certification to do so, might agree with me.

Reactions: BigAl07
So what I did is I bought a lens that had a 72 Degree field of view instead of a 94 degree field of view and it helped a lot. Thank you all for your comments.

That's presuming the drone is only ever going to be flown over people wearing protective gear.......how about coaches or spectators? I know I wouldn't want something weighing 1.3kg hitting me from any height, let alone from some real altitude. I'm pretty sure the general public and those not aware of the risks of someone flying a drone over their heads, without any certification to do so, might agree with me.

We all know the accronym for assume.
I said I would prefer to be hit by a drone than a defensive tackle, that's all.

I'm sure noone want's to be hit by a falling drone, including myself.

A certification isn't going to prevent a malfunction nor stop a falling drone into a croud of spectators. Heck, a flyaway can hit someone miles away.
so what's your point?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic