Filming fireworks

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on filming fireworks? Tonight is New Year's Eve so there will be plenty going off. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be very careful make sure that there are not any people around you could get a ticket for endangerment of the public

Wow, they're not here yet? Well just wait because they are coming to this thread, they will propagate the entrenched rumor that flying after dark is illegal. They will not ask what country you are in, since they will automatically assume you are in the U.S. And even then they will spread the Myth of the Law according to Them.

Interesting... Might give it a try.

Wow, so many "fireworks" threads being started today!

My experience from the US Independence Day celebration in July is that unless your P3 is very close to the fireworks as they explode in the air it is difficult to get good photos or videos. The bummer being that if you try to get close, you risk flying over people watching the fireworks. Maybe if you know where the show will be in advance you can think about a good route to take in the air to get close and avoid people. Certainly turn off your front red LEDs for the actual photos or video recording, but for better visibility perhaps turn them back on while traveling to and from your ground locations.

I recall at the time that someone posted a video of his Phantom being right on top of the explosions. One explosion seemed to be directly in front of his camera. It was pretty awesome to see I must admit, though having his Phantom that close to basically ground to air missiles was certainly questionable!

UPDATE: Here's the link to that video I mentioned. I think his Phantom gets hit at about the 2:25 mark, but the whole thing is spectacular. Plus, Bocelli is crazy awesome.
Note: I am NOT suggesting that anyone try this at home!
@salwaterclown - the video shows fireworks from a barge on the water.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for responding. This is someone's personal display and they live on the water. I just didn't know how high or far away I should be. Already lost the phantom 2. I can't come home with an empty case. It would ensure divorce;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For video, If you are recording a professional fireworks show try to expose for any ambient light on the ground with an exposure about -.3 to -.7 so that you can lightly see the ground. Keep your shutter slow to try and capture the trails.

If your trying to capture some kids lighting off small fireworks then you likely have to open your ISO pretty high because the light thrown will be minimal.

Auto can do a decent job if your not sure what to expect. It's often difficult to change your settings midway though shooting fireworks because you can miss a lot while you are adjusting and shooting.

Wow, they're not here yet? Well just wait because they are coming to this thread, they will propagate the entrenched rumor that flying after dark is illegal. They will not ask what country you are in, since they will automatically assume you are in the U.S. And even then they will spread the Myth of the Law according to Them.
Nice post , also a nice avatar photo too in the profile.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow, so many "fireworks" threads being started today!

My experience from the US Independence Day celebration in July is that unless your P3 is very close to the fireworks as they explode in the air it is difficult to get good photos or videos. The bummer being that if you try to get close, you risk flying over people watching the fireworks. Maybe if you know where the show will be in advance you can think about a good route to take in the air to get close and avoid people. Certainly turn off your front red LEDs for the actual photos or video recording, but for better visibility perhaps turn them back on while traveling to and from your ground locations.

I recall at the time that someone posted a video of his Phantom being right on top of the explosions. One explosion seemed to be directly in front of his camera. It was pretty awesome to see I must admit, though having his Phantom that close to basically ground to air missiles was certainly questionable!

UPDATE: Here's the link to that video I mentioned. I think his Phantom gets hit at about the 2:25 mark, but the whole thing is spectacular. Plus, Bocelli is crazy awesome.
Note: I am NOT suggesting that anyone try this at home!
@salwaterclown - the video shows fireworks from a barge on the water.
@salwaterclown - did you get your video of the fireworks?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1451665606.653928.jpg
Happy New Year!!

Reactions: jimerb and Oso
This was our first go out fireworks. Had 3 phantom 3 pros.

Here's mine from the holidays. Select 4K on the bottom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.