Filming a hot air balloon

Reaction score
We have the occasional hot air balloon fly over. What are the legal limits on approaching such a craft for filming? SE USA.

These often fly below 400. How far away is legal?
Hot air balloons very often fly very low, even at roof top levels. Even though they also have cameras, people like them so nobody ever complains about their privacy. They will complain quickly about a quadcopter however!

I know that the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque is a NFZ for something like 4 miles, but as you know the balloons drift well outside of that radius. I haven't seen any specific guidelines for interacting with a hot air balloon. If it were me, I would give them plenty of room. Probably what you would do anyway. I know you are hoping for an exact number of feet, but I don't think that is specifically defined other than just considering it another aircraft.

Reactions: JoBe
Grew up around around Hot Air Balloons - My dad was/is a Balloon pilot. He doesn't fly anymore but I still crew for others around (balloonists are a small community)

The BEST thing you can do is chase the balloon and offer to help pack up the balloon (they normally love help) and ask to take pictures on their NEXT flight. This does a few things. 1. You don't pissoff/scare the pilot and show respect 2. You are prepared for a flight, as oppose to rushing to catch them. 3. You may get some up close shots.

As far as legality... Well I can't help you there. You're suppose to stay out of the vicinity of another aircraft. And the pilot can and probably will report the bird if you are a nuisance (they won't be able to find you... Maybe) but if you have their permission and can prove competence it shouldn't be an issue.

Ballooning is just a hobby, like ours just more expensive. And there's nothing like flying a beast that you only have control of going up & down. Our drones may be small, but they could bring a balloon down.

With that said if your in Oklahoma we are flying in the morning near Edmond. Welcome to bring your phantom out. Best of Luck!

Raw Video of cold inflate/take off
Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443244723.670505.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I have no intention of getting within a few hundred feet of one. Common sense will prevail.

Thanks for the responses. I have no intention of getting within a few hundred feet of one. Common sense will prevail.

good topic :) I have a lot of hot air balloons fly over our house... I have always thought it would be fine to film them as long as I kept a safe distance...

They use to fly tree top level and even down to 18 feet in wine country with the tourists right in our backyard. Snapping photos left and right... No one complains about privacy with ballons Huh?

Anyway I thought most take off from Airports? I assume that would be UAV restricted anyway? They never really went beyond five miles from that point, Sonoma Airport, Petaluma, and Windsor my location of our past house a stones toss way and Calastoga.

Interestingly...I have yet to see one in 6 years in San Diego just para gliders off El Captain in Lake Side California.

ballon.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: skyhighdiver
I have a balloon festival right down the road from me every year. This year I contacted the organizer about filming. He said it would be fine for him, but didn't want me to fly with 20 of them in the air. Makes sense

He let me set up for the nighttime glow. That was really cool.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: skyhighdiver

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers