File numbering problem

Reaction score
Hey

Is it possible to keep constant file numerology?
Meaning, when my 16GB SD card fills up, i transfer files to my PC. AFTER, i record more videos, and videos are going from DJI_001 order again, and after moving them to PC, its same name and PC wants to overwrite it, so i have to change manually the names for them.
Is it possible that my DJI Phantom 3 Standard, will continue numerizing the files?

Meaning, when my 16GB SD card fills up, i transfer files to my PC. AFTER, i record more videos, and videos are going from DJI_001 order again, and after moving them to PC, its same name and PC wants to overwrite it, so i have to change manually the names for them.
Is it possible that my DJI Phantom 3 Standard, will continue numerizing the files?
In the app you have a choice to reset to 001 every flight or continue numbering in sequence.
Here's the setting .. where it says File Index Mode. Selecting Continuous will number your pix 001-999.
i-S553ZFv-L.png

But ... it still only numbers up to 999 and then goes back to 001 so if you dump the image files in the same folder you'll get the same problem.
The way around this is to keep your image files in a separate folder for each flight.
I name mine with the date and location so I can easily find them.

Reactions: Jay H
In the app you have a choice to reset to 001 every flight or continue numbering in sequence.
Here's the setting .. where it says File Index Mode:
i-S553ZFv-L.png

But ... it still only numbers up to 999 and then goes back to 001 so if you dump the image files in the same folder you'll get the same problem.
The way around this is to keep your image files in a separate folder for each flight.
I name mine with the date and location so I can easily find them.
Thanks a lot!

I gave up on this stuff also, you put a new SD card, or you update Firmware, take picts and vids and then oh-no!

/dji/phantom/20151207/"DJI_0018.MOV"

I started doing this with the digital cameras.
cambacks\2001-08\dsc0001.jpg.
My dad had bought the same camera as I, he started sending me pictures he had took. I do the same now from my smart phone.

Can't find FILE INDEX MODE in Dji Go App.
I have P3 Standard.
Why? Can you guys help?

When your card fills up, just dump em in separate folders with dates. Sure you could rename them but the pics and vids you take usually come with dates and GPS coordinates attached to the file. Admittedly I too have mine set to 999 and haven't taken that many pics yet though so there still in one folder but whichever's easier for you.

Should be there, same as the screen above, there is a lot of things that are missing or hard to fine unless your powered up and connected.

Added:
Just checked on my mobile device its not there without the phantom connected.

Last edited:
when you open the dji go app, enter camera view, click on the top right (with the bullet points and lines) next to the battery indicator. the menu like in the pic Meta4 posted will pop up.

click on the bottom left where the 4 dots are (under the camera gimbal option). Then change file index mode to continuous.... thats pretty much exact instructions on how to get to that menu option.........

Last edited:
Guys i do have android, and the latest updated version. + aircraft was on and connected. I cant find those options

The menu for File Index Mode on P3S is different. Tap on Menu button above the red record round button. This opens up a sub menu for Picture, Video, and Settings. Tab on Settings and File Index Mode is 3rd from the bottom.

Reactions: ShoRotten
The menu for File Index Mode on P3S is different. Tap on Menu button above the red record round button. This opens up a sub menu for Picture, Video, and Settings. Tab on Settings and File Index Mode is 3rd from the bottom.
Thats it! Thanks!

I have been looking for this answer myself. Problem is I must have different software. From the DJIgo program I select the menu. At that menu the last entry is simply 3 dots not 4. On that screen then is no entry for camera. All other is the same. This is new phantom 3 pro that I got a few days before christmas. I have all updates and using a samsung S2 tablet for control. I tried my I phone no different on menu selection.

I have been looking for this answer myself. Problem is I must have different software. From the DJIgo program I select the menu. At that menu the last entry is simply 3 dots not 4. On that screen then is no entry for camera. All other is the same. This is new phantom 3 pro that I got a few days before christmas. I have all updates and using a samsung S2 tablet for control. I tried my I phone no different on menu selection.
There is a lot of options in the app that is not available unless you are connected to the Phantom.

I did have everything turned on a ready to go.
Do you have a P3S? If so, the menu for File Index Mode is different. Tap on Menu button above the red record round button. This opens up a sub menu for Picture, Video, and Settings. Tab on Settings and File Index Mode is 3rd from the bottom.

no sorry it is P3 Pro. Everything looks exactly like the screen shots posted here except. At the bottom of the main menu is not four dots in a 2 x 2 cluster it is 3 dots in a line '...'
going there looks exactly the same as pictured except on option for camera.

App is version 2.43
RC is version 1.6.70
firmware is 1.4.4

the firmware version is curious and i tried to update again with the 1.6 binary file. Camara led flashed red one time. text file on micro SD said already updated. Just thinking that option was taken out for some reason.

I'm reviving this thread as this is a BIG problem if you are editing multiple different flights from different days.... and several have the SAME file name/number I have the P3P app version is 2.7.1 on ANDROID.

The file index mode is NOT there on mine. berry berry bad for me :mad:

Does an earlier Android app have it... like 2.6.0? I would gladly go back...

The filenaming system that DJI is using is archaic.
My last few cell phones use the date and time as in
20160418_084215.
If anyone has noticed, the flight logs are named this way (with date and time).
Not sure why they don't use a more modern way of filenaming....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: CactusJackSlade
The filenaming system that DJI is using is archaic.
My last few cell phones use the date and time as in
20160418_084215.
If anyone has noticed, the flight logs are named this way (with date and time).
Not sure why they don't use a more modern way of filenaming....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

+1 on that one! Absolutely STUPID... looks like OSI has 0-999 file numbering option but not not Android??!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers