Fighting isis

Reaction score
I have been asked to flight train and set up a couple P3s for american contract fighters headed for Kurdistan. Was concerned about the flight restrictions with distance and height. Surveillance is the objective and they are wanting to fly 2 to 3 miles out and as high as possible.
They will be purchasing either new phantoms or inspires and Im concerned what firmware will be pre installed. Not sure if there are airports in the mix.
It is foreign country so maybe not. Im sure I could reinstall older firmware or work around the flight height restrictions. I have never messed with height and distance on my inspire and p3p for with my business I dont need to fly beyond LOS and 300 ft AGL.
Any suggestions?

If you are serious about getting killer distance and height I would recommend battery upgrades as well as a hard wired range extender. You will run into the hard wired 500 meter height restriction and I'm not sure about how or if you can get around that.

I
I have been asked to flight train and set up a couple P3s for american contract fighters headed for Kurdistan. Was concerned about the flight restrictions with distance and height. Surveillance is the objective and they are wanting to fly 2 to 3 miles out and as high as possible.
They will be purchasing either new phantoms or inspires and Im concerned what firmware will be pre installed. Not sure if there are airports in the mix.
It is foreign country so maybe not. Im sure I could reinstall older firmware or work around the flight height restrictions. I have never messed with height and distance on my inspire and p3p for with my business I dont need to fly beyond LOS and 300 ft AGL.
Any suggestions?

I'd seriously consider asking US Government security Agencies and Military departments.

1, it may have a negative effect on aerial and ground force capabilities.
2, it may draw attention to official and sanctioned covert ops in the.
3, it could seriously interrupt Op's being carried out by friendly forces.
4, The majority of aircrews, military or civilian would not be too happy about small UAV operating altitude.
5, Even Military remote operators (Drone pilots in UK or USA) would have concerns.

Just my personal opinion (former aircrewman)

Reactions: Reed L
Seems a bit junior-varsity to use Chinese toys for this type of 'work'.

Reactions: BigAl07
While it seems JV to use toys, it may just be as effective at getting inexpensive and immediate Intel as a homemade IED is in reeking havoc on our guys. I say camo them suckers up and fly them into every hidey hole in the theater.

Tell the guy that asked you if he is blowing smoke because this is definitely not the right tool for the job. Neither the P3 nor the Inspire. Plus you would become an easy target for any sniper... Just because the Kurds want drones doesn't mean that consumer based drones will work. You would be much better off with aircraft.

The P3 and the Inspire are the wrong tool for the job. You want a custom build that is not subject to NFZ, GEO or anything else. You also don't want anything that is going to upload flight data as I would imagine that is a huge security risk. You want something that is completely offline. I would recommend an F550 or F500, NAZA M v2 or Ardupilot, H4-3D, GoPro H4B and Lightbridge 1 with boosted antenna setup.

EDIT: If you want an RTF solution, look at TBS (Team BlackSheep - Serious Toys). Their delta wings are probably ideal for this. And they have RTF multirotor solutions much better than anything DJI has for long flights that are unrestricted.

DSC07012zz.jpg

Moving this to the General forum.

Reactions: Reed L
At the heights he says he wants, he's not going to be able to see much. Unless they figure out how to mount a better camera with zoom on it.

Total BS!!! Dont respond to this ludicrous post. The P3 isn't qualified for any real mission.
"The smoking lamp is lit"

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic