Field Report - Ongoing range testing results for P3P - W323B/GL300C

Reaction score
Recently acquired my P3P which is the newest version, the bird is the W323B with the GL300C remote. Both are claimed to have crippled power outputs compared to the earlier versions with a reduction in range. So Little by little I have been testing out what my quad is capable of. So far I have yet to hit the limit. I will be updating this thread as I do more testing. Everything is completely stock.

Test #1 - Max distance 5,179 ft @ 110ft Alt - Full Signal
Test #2 - Max distance 9,061 ft @ 150ft Alt - Full Signal
Test #3 - Max distance 11,258 ft @ 200ft Alt - Full Signal
Test #4 - Max distance 12,544 ft @ 200ft Alt - Full Signal

Could have stayed at 110 ft easy the whole way but I had to go up high to avoid some big towers for high voltage lines.Dropped down to 60ft Alt around 10K feet as a test and I only dropped one bar on the video link. Still had near perfect signal and video. That really shocked me. Test site was a canal bank that goes on for miles. I had clear LOS to the phantom. I feel I could have gone a lot further than 12.5K feet but I am still new to this and was kind of nervous to take it any further. Came back with plenty of battery left. Maybe next time I will try for 3 miles and call it quits/good enough.

I have a DBS mods itelite panel but I have yet to install it. Maybe I don't need to. Then again I tried flying from my yard which has a stand of trees near me. Can't get more than 2500ft out without losing signal even at 400ft. Seems that even a few trees really causes an issue. Maybe the DBS mods panel will have better penetration thus making it worth it?

Hope this helps to shed some light on the controversy of the reduced range on the newer P3P's. Mine does not seem to suffer this issue. On a side note, I purposely flew into the wind coming out of the north so I would have a tailwind on the way back. Boy was that fun riding the wind at 50mph. :D

Mine also has W323B & GL300C but I don't see any effect of crippled power outputs; 16000 ft with full bars on both video and transmitter signals. Everything is stock as well. I had to return due to battery warning. I landed with 17% battery left.
718bec24b22fd85672b2df37a1dcf314.jpg

And here was my attempt to go for 19000 ft after ignoring the battery warning at ~16000 ft. Still full signal but I had to turn around. Ended up landing on the side of the road ~2000 ft from home point with ~11-12% battery left. Otherwise it would not make it home.
b38806b83432d37a596e0cf394b1fbbb.jpg

Wow, I admire your guts. I have a feeling mine will make it out that far as well. The only reason to install the DBS mods antenna right now would be better signal penetration which I need. Otherwise the range seems to be effectively unlimited until I can get a battery mod. So much for the new model being limited! Glad you posted to confirm my findings.

Wow, I admire your guts. I have a feeling mine will make it out that far as well. The only reason to install the DBS mods antenna right now would be better signal penetration which I need. Otherwise the range seems to be effectively unlimited until I can get a battery mod. So much for the new model being limited! Glad you posted to confirm my findings.
Not sure it was guts or stupidity at the moment; I could have crashed it if I did not land it short of the home point. I don't see the need for DBS mod now I know how good stock antenna is; at least where I fly mine.
I agree battery is the limit now. So I've been watching the dual battery mod discussion closely. Thanks for posting your long distance tests. Keep them coming.

Reactions: NormanNormal
Following thread, I also have b model with c controller. Maybe we will only see the reduced output in congested areas?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Mine also has W323B & GL300C......
And here was my attempt to go for 19000 ft after ignoring the battery warning at ~16000 ft.

I recently acquired a second P3P, which also has the GL300C. My old one (original model) has no problems getting 18k feet out, but I haven't had the opportunity to take the new one on a long range run. Good to know that the new model is just as good.

Mine also has W323B & GL300C but I don't see any effect of crippled power outputs; 16000 ft with full bars on both video and transmitter signals. Everything is stock as well. I had to return due to battery warning. I landed with 17% battery left.
718bec24b22fd85672b2df37a1dcf314.jpg

And here was my attempt to go for 19000 ft after ignoring the battery warning at ~16000 ft. Still full signal but I had to turn around. Ended up landing on the side of the road ~2000 ft from home point with ~11-12% battery left. Otherwise it would not make it home.
b38806b83432d37a596e0cf394b1fbbb.jpg
12% battery 2000 feet left, you would've made it! This is from experience, not just talk

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Went out for my latest test today, here are the results. My Goal was to make it to three miles and back.

Test #5 - Max distance 16,013 ft @ 250ft Alt - Full Signal. Full R/C and video links.

I was sweating bullets on the way back and landed with 22% left. If it were not from the wind out of the NE I could have gone more. The LOS range on this thing is just incredible. I'm not sure what the limit is but it's not one I'm willing to explore it. This is as far as I'm going and I don't feel comfortable doing any more. Now I'm going to experiment with signal penetration by installing my DBS mods panel.

I think my test and the others here posted proved the point that the W323B and GL300C is just as capable as the earlier models.

Here is my latest flight. Had to initiate RTH after battery warning; still full bars for both video & transmitter signals. But it got back to home point with 29% battery left.
4b89512c72fb21da4db935821546b071.jpg

I had the GL300B version of the RC until I had to send it in for warranty for a broken RTH button. Received a GL300C RC back from DJI and so far, I see no difference in range. With a windsurfer mod, both RC have taken me out as far as I could go before having to return home because of battery %.

Here is my latest flight. Had to initiate RTH after battery warning; still full bars for both video & transmitter signals. But it got back to home point with 29% battery left.
4b89512c72fb21da4db935821546b071.jpg
Oops...just realized I quoted my own post but can't delete it [emoji20]

It's getting better, Norman...I agree but according to dirtybird in another post, you won't see the difference until you get 17000 ft and beyond. Very happy with our results...please share your DBS results once you get them.

Do you have any similar test data for the W323A/GL300B combination? I'm trying to decide if I should keep my W323A/GL300B or return it for the W323B/GL300C.

I quess I asked because a many months back everyone was returning the original w323 with gl300a when the "newer" version came out.

now it seems the original p3p and rc had slightly higher xmit output.
also the rc originally did some video processing that has since been passed on to the display device in B and C.
I have seen a few folks ask for older RC for long range

Controller revA vs revB

Last edited:
Oops...just realized I quoted my own post but can't delete it [emoji20]

It's getting better, Norman...I agree but according to dirtybird in another post, you won't see the difference until you get 17000 ft and beyond. Very happy with our results...please share your DBS results once you get them.
From my experience weather, wind , temperature and flying style affect your range far more over 17-18k than the mythical de-tuning of the RC.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetDog
Went out for my latest test today, here are the results. My Goal was to make it to three miles and back.

Test #5 - Max distance 16,013 ft @ 250ft Alt - Full Signal. Full R/C and video links.

I was sweating bullets on the way back and landed with 22% left. If it were not from the wind out of the NE I could have gone more. The LOS range on this thing is just incredible. I'm not sure what the limit is but it's not one I'm willing to explore it. This is as far as I'm going and I don't feel comfortable doing any more. Now I'm going to experiment with signal penetration by installing my DBS mods panel.

I think my test and the others here posted proved the point that the W323B and GL300C is just as capable as the earlier models.
Hey Normal, what FW you running on that bird and are you returning w/ help from the wind? Do you fly out/return in gps only or out in gps back in atti? The reason i ask is you claimed that you wont push it any further but really landing at 22% is not pushing it, u got a lot left in the tank so to speak! Did u know in my experience that on some a/c & FW's you can return home faster in go home mode w/full throttle than u can in gps mode! You actually get a speed thats in between what u get w/ gps vs. atti.

Wow i was not aware of that. I should try it out. To answer all your questions i am running 1.7 all the latest. Yes all my flights I used GPS out with ATTI and a tailwind to help me get back. Highest speed was 54mph avg around 47. On the 13k flight i flew out at 23mph max but came back so fast i still have over 45 percent battery left. On the 16k flight I was dealing with a crosswind had to keep the stick up and to the left just to fly straight.

Perhaps 22 is still a lot left but being a new pilot and having some close calls lately with a few things I guess id rather play it safe. Maybe when im more confident.

Cant wait to test sigal penetration with my dbs mods panel.

Yer gonna love the panel. It works and it looks **** cool!
You're right about playing it safe until you get more comfortable. I can tell you this from experience if you're flying straight into the wind and your aircraft is only reaching 25 to 30 miles an hour you're going to be able to sail back close to 50 in smart rth or atti.if I'm going for a long distance run that I want to count, I take a standard battery go out 2 miles & return just to see what my speeds are in and out. If you're going out at 30 mph and sailing home at 50 mph you can literally bring it down to 45% before you turn. Check out post number 39 here to see what I mean about smart return home.
Horizon v-3 split power mod

It works on my (2)P3A's 1.6 fw
Does not work on p3P 1.19 fw
Just found out last night that it works on the P3 standard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers