Field Power to charge batteries?

I wish to charge my p4 batteries when out in the field--I wondered about using a portable car battery jumper with AC input to run the dji charger off of-- any concerns or other suggestions? I am looking at items similar to this -- Wagan Tech 2464 Power Dome LT - 300 Amp Jump Starter with 260 PSI Air Compressor and 200 Watt Power Inverter - 12Ah SLA Battery
That unit doesn't state the capacity of the internal battery, but I would be surprised if you got more than 2 charges, maybe only 1 before the inverter stopped working. You'd be much better off with a little honda EU1000i generator, those things are whisper quiet, but more expensive of course, about $800. However you can use them for many things, and I think they run for ~6hrs on a tank of gas. You could plug in several chargers if you needed to, if flying with buddies. They only weigh about 35lbs I think, you can hardly hear it running, that's the true value of that little Honda generator, where others are louder.

Just a tip. I have an 1800 watt modified sine wave (cheapest and most common) power inverter mounted in my truck. All of my tools, and my laptop charger work fine with it, but my factory dji charger didn't like it. I bought a pure sine wave inverter, and it works perfectly.

That unit doesn't state the capacity of the internal battery, but I would be surprised if you got more than 2 charges, maybe only 1 before the inverter stopped working. You'd be much better off with a little honda EU1000i generator, those things are whisper quiet, but more expensive of course, about $800. However you can use them for many things, and I think they run for ~6hrs on a tank of gas. You could plug in several chargers if you needed to, if flying with buddies. They only weigh about 35lbs I think, you can hardly hear it running, that's the true value of that little Honda generator, where others are louder.
Good suggestion re the genset, the Hondas are awesome.

Re the solution the OP asked about the internal battery spec is given- 12Ah which would equate to 144wh, dependent on the battery it would be lucky to get 80wh in practice (assume 60% depth of discharge). Factor in the efficiency looses of the inverter and DJI mains brick you would be lucky to charge one depleted P4 pack.

I dont need the Big honda inverter...this is just for in between stops and something to run while I am shooting. I wish to keep it simple....

I dont need the Big honda inverter...this is just for in between stops and something to run while I am shooting. I wish to keep it simple....
Ok, to keep it simple the unit linked to in your original post will be lucky if it can fully charge one P4 pack, that is assuming the 200w inverter provides enough current without voltage sag and a clean enough waveform for the DJI power brick to work properly. Assuming it does work SLA batteries have a very low cycle count if regularily discharged below 40% capacity.

Now I am considering --- a deep cycle marine battery and pure sine wave voltage inverter.... Thoughts?
Every time I flew and wished I had an extra battery to fly, I simply bought an extra battery. Now I'm up to 5 batteries and I haven't said I wish I had an extra battery. I also have the DJI DC powered car charger. I found it handy to have a battery charging while driving around on my Colorado trip last year. It's a 90W charger, gets the job done in about an hour from a 30% charge level.

Reactions: dparkins
Back in the day when I was doing rc car racing we just took a car battery (sealed lead acid 12volt with about 60-70Ah) out to the course with us and a 12 volt rc charger.
Why not do that and buy the Dji cigar lighter car charger, cut the end off and add terminal clamps ?
With a 60-70Ah car battery you should get a good 10 charges for the Dji battery.
Of course if the car is nearby you can plug in there with the same device (even if modded with terminal clamps with the hood up) and the car running so as not to flatten the battery.
Could even buy some clamps, wire and a cigar lighter socket and make an adapter. Use the stock device in the car and use the adapter to plug the device into and charge from a battery.

Now I am considering --- a deep cycle marine battery and pure sine wave voltage inverter.... Thoughts?
Much better solution. Considerations are principally that you install an isolator between the auxiliary battery and the main
Back in the day when I was doing rc car racing we just took a car battery (sealed lead acid 12volt with about 60-70Ah) out to the course with us and a 12 volt rc charger.
Why not do that and buy the Dji cigar lighter car charger, cut the end off and add terminal clamps ?
With a 60-70Ah car battery you should get a good 10 charges for the Dji battery.
Of course if the car is nearby you can plug in there with the same device (even if modded with terminal clamps with the hood up) and the car running so as not to flatten the battery.
Could even buy some clamps, wire and a cigar lighter socket and make an adapter. Use the stock device in the car and use the adapter to plug the device into and charge from a battery.
Car batteries (i.e. the principal or at least most critical purpose is to crank the engine for starting) are really only suitable for regular discharge to 80% capacity without drastically reducing life and performance. AGM deep cycle would be a much better choice here, you can take down to 20% SOC. 60-70Ah would let you charge 7 P4 high capacity packs from 30% to full (assuming around 70% efficiency for the DJI car charger).

Thank you...that may explain something...I did buy this unit --and it worked for a while, but now when I plug in DJI charger--there is a loud piercing sound (could the inverter be doing that?)

I have a 600w inverter I fitted in my Van:innocent:, It works fine. I had a noise you like you mentioned:coldsweat:, it was caused by a poor connection via the output of the inverter (loose wire in the plug I had plugged in to the inverter) when I was charging a laptop. Rewired the plug, that fixed it.:):rolleyes:

Much better solution. Considerations are principally that you install an isolator between the auxiliary battery and the main

Car batteries (i.e. the principal or at least most critical purpose is to crank the engine for starting) are really only suitable for regular discharge to 80% capacity without drastically reducing life and performance. AGM deep cycle would be a much better choice here, you can take down to 20% SOC. 60-70Ah would let you charge 7 P4 high capacity packs from 30% to full (assuming around 70% efficiency for the DJI car charger).

True enough, though the 'back in the day' I was referring to as an example we didn't have the AGM option. We just grabbed the battery our dads just took off their car when they replaced a car battery :)

True enough, though the 'back in the day' I was referring to as an example we didn't have the AGM option. We just grabbed the battery our dads just took off their car when they replaced a car battery :)
I've done it also- even carried car batteries up to hilltops to set up a temporary HF transmitter sites. With current choices available I would go with LiFePO4 cells. Robust, ridiculous power density compared to any lead acid tech, can deep discharge without issue with long life and high cycle count.

I've done it also- even carried car batteries up to hilltops to set up a temporary HF transmitter sites. With current choices available I would go with LiFePO4 cells. Robust, ridiculous power density compared to any lead acid tech, can deep discharge without issue with long life and high cycle count.

So so true, I so wish we had lithium battery tech when I was young.

OK..well..then I can recharge it for next time
Yes- you could no question. You could also consider buying some LiFePO4 cells for a longer term more practical solution. Current tech will give 1000 cycles to 80% DOD and they are much lighter than lead acid. You are paying for a lot of plastic and other stuff you don't need otherwise. You will save money long term.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers