Field of View for different DJI cameras

Reaction score
I shoot stills of big buildings. And on occasion, I use a P2+ that I have been flying the past 2.5 years. It has 110 degrees FOV. If the building is really huge, I sometimes can not fit the whole building into frame unless I take the P2+ higher. Of course 400 feet is the limit. On a couple of occasions, that wasn't high enough either, so I had to take 3 photos and stitch them together. I don't want to go any higher than I have to.

I am ready for my next DJI. But there doesn't seem to be anything available that is this 110 degree FOV. The P4 has only 94mm FOV. The X3 on an Inspire is 94mm. the X5 with its widest FOV lens, is still 94 degrees.

I can understand that most people probably prefer the tighter framing, but not me.

My question is, is my research into this accurate? Or am I overlooking something? Will I have have to fly higher to get a large building, when I get a new DJI? (And I do not want to go the GoPro route).

thank you.

LibreOffice spreadsheet of the FOV calculations for P3P (saved also as Excel .xlsx format).

Just enter the AC Distance (or altitude -- i.e. the distance from the P3P camera to the object) in meters, feet etc (the results use the same unit) and the aspect ratio (4:3 or 16:9 etc).

The result shows the object's maximum diagonal diameter (assuming the whole sensor is used with no cropping) and the object's maximum X- and Y-dimensions for that aspect ratio.

Attachments

• P3P_image_coverage.ods.zip
    12.1 KB · Views: 402
  • P3P_image_coverage.xlsx.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 384
thank you. But I would still like to know about other options.... changing lenses or something. I need 110 FOV.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31