Fiber Optic Cable

I like it! I have been thinking of doing the same thing.

One thought.....That cable appears to be overkill to me in terms of weight. I have a lot more hanging from my bird and I fight to keep every additional gram off. I have not done any research yet on cables, sizes, weights. Now that you've got that up and on, what are your thoughts on that. Are smaller, lighter cables available? Do you think they would work?

The downside, seems to me, is that for/during video recording, there is this flashing light on the periphery of the image...that would have to be cropped out or otherwise erased post-process. Or the cable is NOT used during serious filming flights as opposed to FPV fun flights

Care to share a source of cable?

Thanks.

Peter, any cheap fiber optic connection cable can be used for this. I have a few spares in my audio equipment box, and a couple of them are considerably lighter (thinner insulation mostly), but as long as they have the optic fiber in them they'll work.

Peter Patricelli said:
The downside, seems to me, is that for/during video recording, there is this flashing light on the periphery of the image...that would have to be cropped out or otherwise erased post-process. Or the cable is NOT used during serious filming flights as opposed to FPV fun flights
I video in 1440p with my GoPro 3 Black, as even though it's not a widescreen format, I can crop it to a widescreen 1080p quite easily.

To the OP - how have you attached the fiber to the LED? I saw someone else mod it by putting the cable inside the case and into the space the LED sits in, but you look like you've just glued it to the outside?

I've seen a few people take this route, and while I fly FPV, almost all of my flying is still LOS and close-distance. I have my NAZA alarm set pretty low, and typically fly by timer, making sure I'm back in visual range of the flashing LED indicator by a safe margin. If you're using OSD voltage or a fiber optic display like this, is it mainly for peace of mind/catching anything out of the ordinary, or do you actually use it to determine when you should turn around when you're BLOS?

The Cable is a bit overkill. It s what I had at the time. Its an extra fiber optic cable that goes to my stereo that I did not need anymore. I will look for a smaller one in the future.

I am going to find a better way to attach the cable to the GoPro housing later after I find a smaller cable. CA glue is what I used just to see what it looks like for now. I was thinking about putting the cable inside the Phantom at the LED but wanted to see what it looked like first.

I was not to sure about this landing gear at first but it has held up pretty good for hard landings. I had to mod out the compass using longer screws. When I bought it there was no name or instructions just parts in a plastic bag. Does anyone know what type this is?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20