Few questions on P3S

Reaction score
Picked my P3S up from Target this week and am loving it so far. This thing rocks.
Been doing a bunch of reading and watching videos to learn as much as possible about it and recently discovered these forums as well. Here are a some questions.

1) I live in Austin, Texas so it doesn't ever really get very cold here, tonight it was about 50 degree, my son wanted to go out to the field where we have been flying it and do a night flight. We did all the standard preflight stuff. Everything was great, got the drone in the air flew it around some then wanted to get a really nice nighttime view of the surrounding area so I took it up to about 300ft, at this point I got warnings on DJI Go app about the battery temperature being too low. I immediately brought it down and stopped flying because I wasn't really sure if this was something that if I ignored could cause bad thing to happen. Is this something I need to worry about? What can happen if the battery temp is too low?

2) I have been considering getting Litchi app, but I keep reading how 3rd party apps won't initiate the RTH feature if controller signal is lost on the P3S, is this still the case even now? I read they will probably fix it in a firmware update but couldn't find if that had already been done.

3) Is Litchi the best way to do waypoints with the P3S?

4) Also I can't for the life of me get the SD card out of the camera, it's too far down in the slot to get ahold of it with tweezers or something, and pushing it doesn't click it out like I though it would. Is this a common issues? How have others got this out? Also is it possible to put a bigger SD card in the P3S? I would like to throw a 32GB in there is possible.

TIA,
Jason

Last edited:
I am new and haven't flown yet but I can speak to the last question. I took mine out with pliers the first time and then put one in. Now to get it out I press on it and let go and it comes out a little. Almost like a button.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Take your fingernail and push it in a little and it will pop out . I would not advise taking pliers or anything else and pulling on it .
If it won't pop out at first keep trying but don't force it .

I used my finger nails to get it out, took a little but i did get it. I think it says in the manual that it will accept up to a 64gb

1) 50 F might seem okay to you but it's way too cold to a Phantom battery. The battery should be at least 20 C (that's 68 F) and warmer would be even better.

2) Litchi is great. It won't come home during a mission, but that's what you want.

3) IMO yes.

I have flown in 0°F a lot and I never got a too cold battery warning. Although I keep my batteries inside of the warm house and I live out in the country. Although I don't think I have flown much longer than 5 minutes at these temperature since my fingers freeze. And while I have decades of flying experience, I found out I can't fly worth a darn with gloves on. :eek:

Litchi sure does use the RTH feature. Although check that setting in Litchi before you fly. As I caught it changed to hover on loss of signal a couple of times. It may only happen if you previously had DJI GO running, I am not positive. And yes Litchi is wonderful for waypoints. Practice at first where you can always see it in case it is too low or something and you can take manual control. Even running waypoints (missions), a low battery will trip the RTH feature and cancel the mission (loss of remote signal doesn't trip anything on a mission). That means it will make a bee line back to home point (if this is what you had set it to do). Which could be bad if a mountain or something is in the way. :eek:

Picked my P3S up from Target this week and am loving it so far. This thing rocks.
Been doing a bunch of reading and watching videos to learn as much as possible about it and recently discovered these forums as well. Here are a some questions.

1) I live in Austin, Texas so it doesn't ever really get very cold here, tonight it was about 50 degree, my son wanted to go out to the field where we have been flying it and do a night flight. We did all the standard preflight stuff. Everything was great, got the drone in the air flew it around some then wanted to get a really nice nighttime view of the surrounding area so I took it up to about 300ft, at this point I got warnings on DJI Go app about the battery temperature being too low. I immediately brought it down and stopped flying because I wasn't really sure if this was something that if I ignored could cause bad thing to happen. Is this something I need to worry about? What can happen if the battery temp is too low?

2) I have been considering getting Litchi app, but I keep reading how 3rd party apps won't initiate the RTH feature if controller signal is lost on the P3S, is this still the case even now? I read they will probably fix it in a firmware update but couldn't find if that had already been done.

3) Is Litchi the best way to do waypoints with the P3S?

4) Also I can't for the life of me get the SD card out of the camera, it's too far down in the slot to get ahold of it with tweezers or something, and pushing it doesn't click it out like I though it would. Is this a common issues? How have others got this out? Also is it possible to put a bigger SD card in the P3S? I would like to throw a 32GB in there is possible.

TIA,
Jason
Micro SD come in all sizes. I use a 64 gb high speed card. Really inexpensive, too.

Sent from my LGLS990 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Made two flights recently. Yesterday in 41 degree air. Day before in 43 degrees. Had some bright sunshine to help a little. Bird flew fine. Having lots of fun flying the new P3S.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic