Few Questions From Someone New to Hobby Looking to Purchase

Reaction score
Looking to get started in this hobby and would like a little guidance.

I'm looking to purchase a Phantom 2 (non-vision). I want the H3-2D Zenmuse Gimbal. I want to be able to do FPV from my Iphone and I want to do BVR from the future Ipad ground station.

http://www.amazon.com/Dji-Phantom-Ready ... JO+Phantom

If I bought this I would need an IOSD Mini and a BT Datalink to do everything I want to do? Anything else. Does either of these items require soldering? Do any of you know of a package that has these installed ready to go?

Do I need a wifi extender? If bought later on does this require opening up the phantom 2?

Re: Few Questions From Someone New to Hobby Looking to Purch

Hey Joe,

I will let the others chime in with the specifics on the accessories you'd need, but I wanted to make you aware that Amazon has the Phantom 2 (Non-Vision) with Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal as a packaged deal for $869 currently in stock.

Good luck!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

If you purchase that Phantom, make sure the seller on Amazon is Luckitron. Excellent service, and fast shipping.

DO NOT purchase it from the other available vender, "All E RC" - They have the worse customer service that I have ever dealt with on an internet sale. Extremely rude, and are trying to stick me with restocking fees, and shipping fees when they shipped me the wrong item 3 weeks ago. Steer clear of them.

Here is the setup I ordered from Luckitron
http://www.amazon.com/Dji-Phantom-Ready ... 668&sr=1-9

JoeButch said:

I'm looking to purchase a Phantom 2 (non-vision). I want the H3-2D Zenmuse Gimbal. I want to be able to do FPV from my Iphone and I want to do BVR from the future Ipad ground station.

If I bought this I would need an IOSD Mini and a BT Datalink to do everything I want to do? Anything else. Does either of these items require soldering? Do any of you know of a package that has these installed ready to go?

Do I need a wifi extender? If bought later on does this require opening up the phantom 2?
You cannot do FPV on your iPhone with a P2 zenmuse that I'm aware of.

CJ31 said:
JoeButch said:

You cannot do FPV on your iPhone with a P2 zenmuse that I'm aware of.

Oh? How do I do it then? I've seen YouTube videos of this. What am I missing?

That is the Vision with the built in camera that flies on 5.8ghz. The P2 zenmuse flies on 2.4ghz which is the same as the iphone wifi, so it would interfere and cause issues. You would need to get a 5.8ghz fpv video transmitter and 5.8 monitor to do fpv on a p2 zenmuse. There are tons of threads about it on here.

CJ31 said:
That is the Vision with the built in camera that flies on 5.8ghz. The P2 zenmuse flies on 2.4ghz which is the same as the iphone wifi, so it would interfere and cause issues. You would need to get a 5.8ghz fpv video transmitter and 5.8 monitor to do fpv on a p2 zenmuse. There are tons of threads about it on here.

Wouldn't this solve the problem tho? DJI 2.4G Bluetooth Data Link for DJI iPad Ground Station

Can you or someone link me with exactly what I need to buy to accomplish FPV and BVR on Iphone/ipad mini with a Gopro camera on a Phantom 2 that uses the Zenmuse Gimbal.

JoeButch said:
Wouldn't this solve the problem tho? DJI 2.4G Bluetooth Data Link for DJI iPad Ground Station

Can you or someone link me with exactly what I need to buy to accomplish FPV and BVR on Iphone/ipad mini with a Gopro camera on a Phantom 2 that uses the Zenmuse Gimbal.

No, while the iPad groundstation will give the P2 BVR capabilities once the firmware has been released, it does not and can not have a direct FPV feed. There's no way currently to do everything you want on an iPhone or iPad outside of the Phantom 2 Vision.

If you want options and expandability, you get the P2
If you want it all in a nice tidy package that works with the iPhone for control and FPV, you get the P2V.

Joe,

I went with the Phantom FC40 for many of the reasons you are expressing. I wanted to do FPV on 2.4Ghz. The FC40 while the older Phantom platform is on 5.8Ghz. The FC40 camera is okay, but I am going with the GoPro setup. I have an anti-jello mount right now and I am looking at adding on the Zenmuse here this spring. The video downlink from the GoPro Hero3+ Black with WiFi has been good. The range is a little weak, so I am "actively" investigating WiFi extender possibilities right now.

I have purchased a DJI WiFi Extender (Not sure it will work, but experimenting as soon as it arrives this week) and I am also going to test the Trenda A6 portable AP/Extender. Read some reviews that it works well and it is powered by 5V Mini USB so I can use a battery power source in the field.

Best of luck with your research, just my 2 cents. Happy flying.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers