Fell from sky. What now?

Reaction score
I got my P3S for Christmas and on the 3rd today I had it hovering about 70 ft up and only 80 total feet away from me. Only 3 minutes in, and it was spinning and falling out of the sky with a compass error on my phone. 1 prop survived. The gimbal is no longer attached. And the battery popped out and looks like there may be some damage there as well. Do I contact DJI? Do I sign up for the DJI care and go from there? Really not sure what I need to be doing. Any advice would be great.

Was the battery fully charged before launch?

How many props were still attached to the motors?

Welcome to the site!

Was the battery fully charged before launch?

How many props were still attached to the motors?

Welcome to the site!

It was fully charged. 3 are technically still attached. 1 is unbroken. 1 has half. The other is just screwed on with neither end

Here are pictures of what I was able to recover

Attachments

• IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    886.4 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    920.8 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    778.1 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_1496.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG
    896.6 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1497.JPG
    877.9 KB · Views: 639
It was fully charged. 3 are technically still attached. 1 is unbroken. 1 has half. The other is just screwed on with neither end

Looks like you had a prop spin off which means pilot error. You should have snugged the props before you launched. Same thing happened to me last month but I was at 400 feet.

You could try a warranty claim but I'm not sure if it would go.

Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: thefrisbee995
Looks like you had a prop spin off which means pilot error. You should have snugged the props before you launched. Same thing happened to me last month but I was at 400 feet.

Sorry for your loss.
Hmm. That is quite unfortunate. Thanks for the info

I got my P3S for Christmas and on the 3rd today I had it hovering about 70 ft up and only 80 total feet away from me. Only 3 minutes in, and it was spinning and falling out of the sky with a compass error on my phone. 1 prop survived. The gimbal is no longer attached. And the battery popped out and looks like there may be some damage there as well. Do I contact DJI? Do I sign up for the DJI care and go from there? Really not sure what I need to be doing. Any advice would be great.

dji care is 48 hrs from activation. 3rd day says you are to late unless you didn't register it from go app till late the next day.. they have a later purchase option, but it requires you proving the drone is in one piece first.
Your best bet is warranty if compass failed caused crash.

I barely made it, from phone it wouldn't put it in the basket to buy. their site was slooow, and minutes after I finally paid, ZAP out went the lights for an hour which would have put me over.
forgot to turn on camera today, was bouncing nose up to record some hawks circling trying to decide if it was something good to eat or not.
After landing when low battery warning was chiming, mine was showing calibration error on compass. But drone showed no loss of control or erratic behavior, maybe a slight drift, but nothing tapping the stick didn't correct.
I re-calibrated, and then launched and hovered 4 feet up running circles around myself a few laps.

Hmm. That is quite unfortunate. Thanks for the info
Hey guy, not fun, I would upload your flight log.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the url results back on this thread, somebody will figure out what happened, but as Mark stated probably correct.
Lot of us like the challenge, and it doesn't effect results from DJI.

Your compass error message can be caused when the Phantom is spinning.

Rod

Hey everyone. Thanks for the advice. I ended up taking to where it was purchased and they returned it and replaced it. Lesson Learned. Make sure everything is good to go before I rush into the flight.

Sorry for your loss.
How do we define 'snugged' please

I juat watched a DJI traning video last week about the "X things newbies do to crash their copters" and assuming that self-tightening props didn't need to be snugged was one of the things. It was one of the videos one can access from the app.

I juat watched a DJI traning video last week about the "X things newbies do to crash their copters" and assuming that self-tightening props didn't need to be snugged was one of the things. It was one of the videos one can access from the app.
Gotcha. Ya I screwed up on that. I won't be making that mistake again (hopefully)

And yet one the DJI vids, I think it's the unpacking one etc, just demonstrates spinning them down.
Must admit I do 'nip' mine down.

That was kind of my thought as well. If they are self tightening, and I was flying for a few minutes, how do they become loosened
They are self-tightening in that during normal rotation they are rotating the opposite direction to the direction they are spun on. However with the Phantom 3, you also have "active braking" which means that if you suddenly stop the craft, in order to try and stop quickly, it will slow the motors down very quickly to "brake" the craft. This sudden slowing of the motors means that if the propeller isn't properly tightened, the momentum of the prop combined with the sudden slowdown of the motor means it can potentially spin off.

This is also the reason P3 props have plastic hubs rather than metal hubs like the P2. Plastic hubs mean more grip on the motor thread. You should never use a P2 prop on the P3 or you run the risk of a spin off.

Only got my P3s for Xmas, new user, but the fact that there is a key in the accessories to lock the motors, to remove props, is a clue.

I was watching videos not because I'm naturally fastidious, but more because the weather sucked and I couldn't fly.

Here's the forum post that probably became the video in question:

TOP 10 common pilot errors

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20