Feeling lost after loss of drone

Is there any indication as to how often (or not) DJI acknowledges fault and replaces a Phantom at no charge?

Yeah, wise words. I did know the risk of property loss based on earlier stuff I've seen on Youtube and I was cautious about this decision to buy it. However I'd like to take a lesson from this, but it's pretty hard as there's nothing to investigate, except for the app.

So far I've established that I've lost the signal -> I pressed the RTH button on the RC without hesitation -> the mode has changed to GoHome -> the drone has started to descend to 50 metres (my RTH altitude setting) -> then something wierd has happen and it makes a huge loop at least on the map -> mode is P-GPS -> the trail just ends some 20 secs after my loss of signal.

Maybe I should've never pressed RTH, but then again the drone would have done it, too. The video link never came back, so I have no clue about the rest. It's possible that it was a birdstrike or even some gale smashing it into the tower, despite I was at a safe distance.

Will be going out now for a search, but it's probably useless. Any pieces are scattered off-limits to me or in the lake, if that theory still holds.

It will not descend to the rth height if it is higher, it will just go home. If it is lower, it will ascend to the rth height.

Reactions: dirkclod
So you did not do a compass recalibration at the start of your flying session?
No, because there has been debate that it shouldn't be done every time you fly time. The notion seems to be that it increases the chance of errors. At this location I would've expected an uneven calibration due to the urban environment. So I calibrated it yesterday in a park.

Isn't it worth sending the Flight Log into DJI?

I have considered doing that, but compiling the flight data is slow as I only get one image capture at a time from the sharing feature. Haven't seen any smart feature to share it as it is. It's synced online, but I have no clue, if the support can access it?

Plus I need to write a detailed report, so no, haven't yet had the time as I've been busy revisiting the area where it went MIA.

I have considered doing that, but compiling the flight data is slow as I only get one image capture at a time from the sharing feature. Haven't seen any smart feature to share it as it is. It's synced online, but I have no clue, if the support can access it?

Plus I need to write a detailed report, so no, haven't yet had the time as I've been busy revisiting the area where it went MIA.

You can download the data and use a few tools to get insight into your flight data. I'm assuming you are using an iPad, as I think you mentioned that somewhere..

1). Connect your iPad to iTunes.
2). In iTunes, Select the Apps Section on your device.
3). On the right side of the iTunes screen scroll to the very bottom of the screen until you see the File Sharing section.
4). Select the DJI application
5). On the right side of this screen, you will see the DJI documents.
6). Drag and drop the FlightRecords folder onto your desktop. You only have the option to drag the entire folder...not specific Flight Records.

You will now have your flight records locally on your computer. They are not readable in this format, but you can convert them to a readable format:

1) Find the correct Flight Record text file on your desktop.
2) Go to djilogs.com
3) Upload the associated Flight Record Text file

Your can now convert this flight record to a readable format (Comprehensive CSV) and read it in Excel for example, or into a Google Earth format...or both. The Google Earth format will display your complete flight path in 3 dimensional space. If you don't have Google Earth, you can now download the PRO version for free: just use GEPFREE as the License Key.

If you upload the FlightRecord.txt file here, some might interpret it for you. This text file will only go as far as the point when the iPad lost communication with the bird...but might be insightful to see if any errors occurred immediately before lost communication. This flight record might not be as complete as what you could get if you recovered the bird and downloaded those, but is still useful, to a certain point.

Reactions: Rasbelin
I find it hard to accept that anyone would compare their toy to the loss people must have felt for MH370.

Bad analogy for sure.

I understand how sick to your stomach you must feel and for that, I can empathize. Just get a new one. Use your experiences with the last one to make your newer one a safer flying bird.

Reactions: unclejas
I find it hard to accept that anyone would compare their toy to the loss people must have felt for MH370. Bad analogy for sure.

I read it as a comparison between the seeming disappearance of the two...not equating the feelings of loss. But yeah, bad analogy if others read it as you did.

A note to the OP...if you follow my steps above, in the Comprehensive CSV, you will have precise GPS coordinates of the last known location. It will be in the Latitude, Longitude columns. You can just type these values in iPad Maps (separated by a comma) or any other GPS tracker and locate within a few feet of where it was when it lost communication. If it fell straight down as opposing to continue to fly after the Flight Record terminated, it might aid in your search.

I read it as a comparison between the seeming disappearance of the two...not equating the feelings of loss. But yeah, bad analogy if others read it as you did.

I apologize then. I read it wrong.

Having had to write more than one letter to family members of people we lost In Iraq, I tend to take these types of things pretty literally. My issue, not the OP's.

Sorry for your loss, that really sucks! :( I don't have a P3 and with so many of these I hear about I'm beginning to wonder if I will? :cool:Anyways Condolences to you.

~Duke

Reactions: JKDSensei
Well, it may be the same location but Geomagnetically speaking (ah EM)...it may be a totally different place....depending. For example an underground transmission line may have been activated. A transmission tower may be transmitting a different frequency across the area.
A truck carrying a strong source of magnetism may be parked nearby, the Earth's magnetic field may have shifted ever so slightly....a huge magma chamber may have developed beneath the ground....:oops: (ok, that's probably stretching things a bit)...

Anyway...I always do a compass recalibration before each day's first flight and any time I change locations.

So maybe...just maybe we have a potential explanation for this flyaway

@TAZ: Okay, thanks a bunch! Will try this right away.

I find it hard to accept that anyone would compare their toy to the loss people must have felt for MH370.

To be precise: not the emotions or loss of life, but when you have something vanishing without a trace and against all odds - just like MH370 did. No really trying to be disrespectful to those who perished.

Reactions: BlackHawk388
@JKDSensei: Yes, I did see your post, but didn't want to comment until I got back from my evening search.

I went through the surrounding terrain and even met another Phantom pilot (P2), who whoever wasn't very chatty and seemed to be in a rush to fly his own one. Too bad, because he could have done some very helpful recon for me from 20-30 metres. :( Curiously I've never before met any other RC pilot here.

Will hopefully hear tomorrow in case it has crashed or against all odds made an emergency landing on the roof at the base of the tower. Until that no news so far. But at least made an attempt to find any scattered pieces of it.

@macsoft: Yes, and I knew the P3P might be flaky, but this definetly goes beyond what I still would've expected.

Based on some analysis we've done on IRC, it seems the drone has probably gone bonkers, because it has accelerated to maximum speed. RTH doesn't happen at max speed. Also the left control is 75% to the left in the last data entry. Hardware failure maybe?
Is that some sort of radio frequency transmission tower on top of the structure?

There's some antennas there, however nothing like a public broadcasting transmitter.

The DJI app did apparently also get those stillshots cached, but I'm unable to get them out. However nothing fishy there as the flight was proceeding as expected until something went haywire.

@TAZ: Okay, thanks a bunch! Will try this right away.

To be precise: not the emotions or loss of life, but when you have something vanishing without a trace and against all odds - just like MH370 did. No really trying to be disrespectful to those who perished.

As I said, my issue, not yours. As I also said, I'm well aware of that sinking feeling in the pit of the stomach when it comes to losing something so expensive.

I wish I hadn't posted that in the first place. Sorry man.

Nah, no issues. I understand how real war experiences change you. You become touchy and sentimental regarding some issues that may seem oblivious to others. My grandfather (currently aged 100) is a WWII vet and I've seen how it has affected certain things.

Anyway, will get back with the log soon. Working on iTunes now.

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20